Notices

Poorly Classic.. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2010, 08:57 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poorly Classic.. Help?

Well last week my car started to hesitate/misfire at low revs with little throttle and wasnt starting to easy. Also felt very laggy and had to real 'kick' to it like it dd before.

Well i read the ecu (no cel light was on though) and it gave me fault code 11. Crankshaft position sensor. So i got on the bay and ordered one from a breakers from a 94 wrx. Turned up yeaterday and headed outside with a mechanic pal, now, we whipped off some parts to allow easier access and got to the sensor but it turned out it was in a terrible state and feel apart trying to get it out but we got there eventually. Went to fit the new one which fitted but the connection was different (even tho multiple people assured me all where the same) so we snipped and soldered it and all seemed ok. Put it all back together and went for a spin

It was an absolute dream, pulled so hard, no hesitation etc just how i remember it. But today i started it and its back how it was! Checked the ecu and it came back with code 11 again.

Now, i dont know where to go next, im beginning to think it isnt the sensor but something else. Can anyone help?
Old 25 August 2010, 08:58 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Oh its a 93 wrx import by the way!
Old 25 August 2010, 09:01 PM
brashy
Scooby Regular

i would try an get a sensor the same as the one you have taken off
Old 25 August 2010, 09:30 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, i was thinking of doing that. But would the crank position sensor even affect perfrmance anyway? I thought it was mainly for starting..
Old 25 August 2010, 09:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aside from allowing the plugs to fire, I think it also allows the injectors to run. So everytime the crank rotates, the sensor tells the ECU to do its bidding.

So if the sensor is knackered and falling out of spec, then every reason for it to affect the running... I think.
Old 25 August 2010, 09:43 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

If my mechanics serve me right its the only way the ECU knows what the timing is doing, as the cam sensor turns differently. So without the ecu knowing what the timing is doing it would I`d assume not run or run flat as a pancake. This to save the engine.
Tbh I`d not drive her until I`d gotten another sensor, take pics of the sensor and ask on here if they have any sensors going??
Old 25 August 2010, 09:51 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LukeyWRX
....but it turned out it was in a terrible state and feel apart trying to get it out but we got there eventually. Went to fit the new one which fitted but the connection was different (even tho multiple people assured me all where the same) so we snipped and soldered it and all seemed ok....
Would appear that the sensing element must indeed be to the same spec for all years up to 2007 - see here:-

1992 to 2007 Impreza crank sensor

Personally I'd get the OEM brand new one in that ad ^^^ and start again, then go from there...

Last edited by joz8968; 25 August 2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:03 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by joz8968
Would appear that the sensing element must indeed be to the same spec for all years up to 2007 - see here:-

1992 to 2007 Impreza crank sensor

Personally I'd get the OEM brand new one in that ad ^^^ and start again, then go from there...
Thats what i thought, and thats the same shape as the one i bought but, the one fitted to my car was an all in one with the cable attached not clip on. The same as this i believe http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Impreza-WRX-St...9#ht_831wt_694 . I cant find a brand new one the same as this anywhre so i may purchasr the above and see how it goes. Not sure why mines different, may we because its a very very early classic.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:07 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but was the replacement you fitted from ebay a used one of unknown condition?
Old 25 August 2010, 10:28 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

It was yeah, but it did work fine for a short period before it went back to old ways..
Old 25 August 2010, 10:28 PM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a new one, then you know its 100%. critical sensors that fail should be replaced with new ones.
Old 09 September 2010, 05:55 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

hey guys, well i bought a brand new genuine crank sensor.. got round to fitting it yesterday.. Well seemed better at first but within a few hours it was flashing back up on the ecu again as a crank sensor error. And getting simular problems as I stated in the first post. Is there anything else linked that it could be that could cause the crank sensor to pop a code out? Faulty coilpacks anything like that?
Old 09 September 2010, 06:06 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Is it actually throwing a CEL up, or do you only get the code when you read the ecu via the black connectors??

Also, what else are you disturbing when removing/refitting the crank sensor??

Last edited by Glowplug; 09 September 2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09 September 2010, 07:03 PM
LukeyWRX
Scooby Newbie

No, i only get the error when reading the ecu via the black plugs. No cel light is showing.

The only thing i have disturbed on both occasions that i can think of is the alternator, have removed it both times to make access easier.
Old 09 September 2010, 07:06 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LukeyWRX
No, i only get the error when reading the ecu via the black plugs. No cel light is showing.

The only thing i have disturbed on both occasions that i can think of is the alternator, have removed it both times to make access easier.
Reset the ECU, then do a code check.

The ECU will store the code and flash it up every time you check. Resetting will clear all stored/old faults.