Notices

mod help

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2010, 06:05 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mod help

right ive owned my97 turbo 2000 for over a year now and its pretty much standard apart from upgraded spark plug leads k&n replacment filter and a s.s back box all of these done by the previous owner, i think now its time to put my stamp on it so to speak. ive been looking at de-cat down+up pipe and s.s headers, ebay sell s.s headers+up pipe for around £160 new from uk proformance and decat for £110 ish. fitting a full s.s exhaust system is on my to do list already but can you guys please point out some good mods for me, could i fit a td05 turbo without having to change anythink. will i get any benifits or extra bhp from a front mounted i.c
all your veiws on this pls guys
Old 24 August 2010, 06:34 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

If your looking for headers and up-pipe mate, Harvey is the man, see https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...eating-it.html thread
Old 25 August 2010, 03:10 AM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Yes definately the full exhaust system with a decat down pipe.
Go for equal length headers for more bhp or unequal length and keep the scooby rumble but not gain much power.
A forrest hybrid turbo.
STi Top Mount Intercooler
Professional remap.
Walbro fuel pump.
Uprated clutch.

Do all of above for under 2k and get around 300bhp.
Check the exhaust/headers on ebay are good quality, quite often you will wish you had paid a bit more to get the right thing (Some cheaper ones are very difficult to fit due to poor manufacturing) and the noise will not be as good as a high quality exhaust will give (Ie Blitz etc).

Dont forget to upgrade your brakes aswell mate before making her faster (Imprezas dont have the best brakes )

You will save a lot of money if you buy parts from here (scoobynet classifieds) there are always very good quality items at low prices, Most the time Used parts are as good as new ones.

All the best
Old 25 August 2010, 09:05 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The starting point is a full decat followed by ported headers and matched uppipe. That will give you a good performance gain.
Tubular headers are not what you require for your planned modifications and will probably be a big disappointment when fitted immediately because of poor spool. Secondly a lot of the cheapo header sets crack at the welds in days or weeks. £160. You get what you pay for.
You cannot change turbos without a remap so you need to give consideration to that if you go beyond complete decat and ported headers and matched uppipe.
You will probably be surprised how much these two mods, done properly will add to your car.
You are not at the point of needing a front mount unless you go for a TD05 but then, in addition to the turbo and FMIC you need a mappable ECU.

Last edited by harvey; 25 August 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 25 August 2010, 02:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Looking at your other thread here. You will be better off spending the money on a decent service and a RR session to get the car running properly before you start modding it.

You have to sort out the 'not running right' before you ask for 'mod help'

imo.
Old 25 August 2010, 06:51 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well spotted
No point carrying out any modifications until you have it running properly and the info below is spot on.
And there is the most probable cause of the problem.

Never use an air line on your MAF, they are far to delicate. At the very most, use a cotton bud very gently. I've never cleaned mine at all.

What plugs have you ordered? NGK PFR6B's i hope, gap them to 0.70 or 0.65mm, check them before installing as they can vary out of the box. You will also need a good selection of extension bars to change the plugs, do them at the same time you do your MAF as you will find it alot easier, also remove the screen wash bottle to give you more room
Only thing I would add is that I prefer PFR7Bs but I don't suppose it makes much difference for what you are doing.
If replacing the MAF sensor does not solve your problems I think you need to find someone honest and reliable in your area that knows Subarus but if you come back after the MAF we could maybe suggest another couple of things. eg. Idle Control Valve. This might need cleaning but not with an air line