Notices

3 Port Boost Solonoid....when and what difference?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2010, 01:17 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Port Boost Solonoid....when and what difference?

I have a 2001 Classic that is running an Ecutek remap,panel filter and full exhaust system and wanted to know if i should fit a 3 port boost solonoid and wondered what if any difference it would make at the above spec?

Cheers.
Old 23 August 2010, 02:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

"2001 classic" is a bit of a contradiction in terms. Do you actually have a late registered 2000 model year car?

Assuming that to be the case, a three port solenoid would potentially provide slightly more accurate boost control. You'd probably notice a small difference both up top and in terms of earlier spool and better throttle response, but you would need an immediate map tweak, you would not be able to drive the car under boost without one.

Given the likely cost of such a tweak, in addition to the cost of the solenoid itself, I'm not sure whether you would find the differences of this modification, on their own, worth the money, even they are nice to have.

Given where you are at the moment, the better time to consider a three port would be alongside other future mods, as then you'll be spreading the mapping cost over a range of bits likely to give you a better overall return on investment.
Old 23 August 2010, 02:43 PM
Toomanycars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
"2001 classic" is a bit of a contradiction in terms. Do you actually have a late registered 2000 model year car?

Assuming that to be the case, a three port solenoid would potentially provide slightly more accurate boost control. You'd probably notice a small difference both up top and in terms of earlier spool and better throttle response, but you would need an immediate map tweak, you would not be able to drive the car under boost without one.

Given the likely cost of such a tweak, in addition to the cost of the solenoid itself, I'm not sure whether you would find the differences of this modification, on their own, worth the money, even they are nice to have.

Given where you are at the moment, the better time to consider a three port would be alongside other future mods, as then you'll be spreading the mapping cost over a range of bits likely to give you a better overall return on investment.
Definately a Classic,and definately registered in 2001,so yes a late registered car (the guy i bought it from had the choice of this or a Bugeye when he bought it,drove both and went with the Classic).

Excellent advice mate and exactly the detail i wanted,thanks very much for taking the time to explain!! .