Notices

Pink liquid (coolant?) sprayed under bonnet from carbon canister

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2010, 10:36 AM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pink liquid (coolant?) sprayed under bonnet from carbon canister

Slightly overfilled oil during a change the other week due to the most stupid dipstick known to man!!! After reading you have to leave it out so it doesn't cling to the inside of the dipstick tube, oil is now at the correct level,

a week or so later, when on boost during 3rd gear about 6000rpm I got a little pop or stutter with a puff of black smoke for a split second.

After finding out overfilling oil can contaminate the boost solenoid, I joined the green connectors together, turned ignition on (not starting the engine) and sprayed some brake cleaner into the top of the boost solenoid.

Is the solenoid supposed to continuosly click as mine didn't do a thing with the connectors..... connected???

Took the car for a drive and all was well, no coughs splutters or pops, woo hoo I thought..... Get home, pop the bonnet open and find some pink liquid on the bonnet above where the carbon canister lives near the drivers headlight, looks as tho it's come from the right hand spout as you look at it???

Any ideas? I cleaned it up and went for another spin and it didn't do it again, was it the brake cleaner I squirted in the boost solenoid, coolant?

I thought the carbon canister dealt with fuel vapour?????

Car is a v4 type-r running 340hp approx

thanks
Old 21 August 2010, 04:39 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I joined the green connectors together,
Is the solenoid supposed to continuosly click as mine didn't do a thing with the connectors..... connected???
You're also supposed to join up the black connectors, to put the ECU into test mode. If you're in any doubt next time, you should also hear all of the car's other relays and solenoids pulsing if you've done it right.

find some pink liquid on the bonnet above where the carbon canister lives near the drivers headlight, looks as tho it's come from the right hand spout as you look at it???
Did you actually pull off any of the hoses from the canister, to see if there were traces of the same fluid in there? Did it look as though one of the hoses had blown off by itself? Pink from anywhere other than coolant is very unlikely, and there's no shortage of coolant pipes in the same part of the engine bay as the canister, so I'd be looking for signs of a small leak from those myself. Check your coolant level and that there's no sign of damage to the filler cap too, or hairline cracks in the top of the rad even.

I thought the carbon canister dealt with fuel vapour?????
It does, and there shouldn't be any possible route from the boost solenoid pipe-work to the carbon canister's, if they're fitted right.

Edit:
On the diagram in the picture here, where did you spray the brake-cleaner?

Last edited by markjmd; 21 August 2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added link to diagram
Old 21 August 2010, 05:55 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiggy wiggy
I joined the green connectors together, turned ignition on (not starting the engine)

Car is a v4 type-r running 340hp approx
Stiggy, a question: How is your V4 Type R achieving 340bhp? Is it running an aftermarket ECU? If so, then the green and black plugs will clearly do nothing as these affect the OE ECUs only.

Originally Posted by markjmd
You're also supposed to join up the black connectors, to put the ECU into test mode.
Not correct. Connecting the green plugs, on their own, puts the ECU into test mode. Connecting the black ones, on their own, puts it into read memory mode. Connecting both pairs initialises the ECU reset routine.

If Stiggy connected the green plugs on their own he should have got all the relays and fans cycling, if he's running standard management. Although, as above, it sounds eminently possible that he isn't running standard management, which would explain a thing or two.

Stiggy - as Mark correctly says, there's no way that coolant should find its way into the carbon canister. The only likely way it would get where you found it is via a leak from the radiator or upper rad pipe. Check carefully as it if happened once, chances are it'll happen again. Also, an obvious question, but your coolant is pink, yes?
Old 21 August 2010, 10:49 PM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

It's running a power fc so that probably explains the lack of clicking

had a look today and I'm pretty sure it's power steering fluid leaking from the hose that runs across the top of the rad and joins a metal pipe, you can easily spin the rubber pipe around and back and forth on the metal pipe even tho it's got the relevant clip on it!!!!

You can see in the daylight (was last night when it happened) the damp patch around this area where it's obviously been leaking, a good clean up and a jubilee clip should see it right me thinks

thanks for the input guys.
Old 22 August 2010, 12:58 AM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

I had exacty the same problem on two of my imprezas (both sti v3). Turned out to be a hole in the radiator which couldnt be seen, strange one as i pressure tested the cooling system and no leaks found, It also seemed to happen now and again intermitantly. The liquid was around the airfilter/abs area behind drivers light. I tried radseal and similar but nothing worked.
Bought a new radiator and all was perfect.
Also check top radiator feed hose (Replaced 3 hoses out of 5 imprezas )

Hope you find the problem.
All the best.
Old 22 August 2010, 10:48 AM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm you got me thinking now!!!! Lol
I'll have good poke around the rad later

thanks matey