Notices

Help Please (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2010, 02:55 PM
Yarco
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please (New Member)

Hi been a proud Civic Type R owner for 4 years now but it's time to get a scooby. Been looking about a looked at lots of Scoobies varying from 4-8 grand. In preference I would like to spend as little as possible due to the current financial climate.

I found a bargin but I have a problem, it's a Jap import "bug eye" version but it's on a 2000 "X" reg

Insurance factory say it's a Type R, DVLA and reg document say it's a Type UK!

Now I thought the "bug eye" was a released in 2001 onwards but this car is on a "X" reg which makes it a 2000, did Japan get the "bug eye" 1 year before us? (which would make some sense)

Do they make a "bug eye" Type R? and are Type UK's only sold in the UK?

Help!! See attached link for the car in question.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...e/50?logcode=p
Old 13 August 2010, 03:20 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yarco
Hi been a proud Civic Type R owner for 4 years now but it's time to get a scooby. Been looking about a looked at lots of Scoobies varying from 4-8 grand. In preference I would like to spend as little as possible due to the current financial climate.

I found a bargin but I have a problem, it's a Jap import "bug eye" version but it's on a 2000 "X" reg

Insurance factory say it's a Type R, DVLA and reg document say it's a Type UK!

Now I thought the "bug eye" was a released in 2001 onwards but this car is on a "X" reg which makes it a 2000, did Japan get the "bug eye" 1 year before us? (which would make some sense)

Do they make a "bug eye" Type R? and are Type UK's only sold in the UK?

Help!! See attached link for the car in question.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...e/50?logcode=p
they made bugs x reg onwards type rs are classic models yours is a uk car mate
Old 13 August 2010, 03:28 PM
rogos
Scooby Regular

my classics an import and it was registered properly but when the insurance check details they dont know what it is so i have to tell them what it is.
Old 13 August 2010, 04:45 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bugeyes are the best bargains to be had at present, so you have made the right choice. The Bugeye STI (compared with the last of the classics)came with a newly revised and stronger engine. a stronger gearbox which is a six speed close ratio. Gold brembo caliper brakes, bigger discs, larger stronger clutch, better interior etc etc. OK, it's a bit more lardy but not too much. If it was me i'd go for a JAP import bugeye that's been in the country for most of its life and was ecu mapped for UK fuel when first imported. I feel that in the UK we are short changed and get an inferior product compared to the Japanese.

Last edited by apac; 13 August 2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 16 August 2010, 11:45 AM
Yarco
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nick schofield
they made bugs x reg onwards type rs are classic models yours is a uk car mate
Why does the dealer and insurer both state it's a Jap import then? I assume Type UK is UK only?

Well I'm going for a test drive in a week or so which will give me chance to to have good look at the reg document and all ID marks on the car because I'm really worried this is one of the false identity things.
Old 16 August 2010, 05:46 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there are some tell tale signs if it's an import. fog lamp positon, aerial position, having a rear wiper. But I'm not entirely sure. Try getting the applied model code off the vin plate and posting onhere. Or try finding a Scoobynet member that has a bugeye import and i'm sure they'll be able to help what to look out for. On the surface it's a good looking car. My main concern - if an import is what fuel has it been running, has it been mappped for UK fuel, how long has it been in the country.
Old 16 August 2010, 09:08 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

I have an 05 STi Type UK,but was looking on Piston Heads website for my mate and found for example Blobeye 03 WRX Wagon £5k and Bugeye 02 modified STi lookalike.Both looked mint.Looking at your budget i'm sure you could find something to get you excited.
Old 17 August 2010, 12:52 PM
Yarco
Scooby Newbie

It would appear this scooby is an import but not Jap import as it's a Type UK. It was registered in the UK 2003 and I'm assuming is was imported from Ireland or channel islands e.c.t. Eitherway I've got a fair insurance quote so it's a strong possibility.

As far as mapping goes for UK fuel, again it's a Type UK so it must of been run on UK fuel.

Thanks quickscoob but I'm looking for a full fat STi, no wagons and no lookalikes, genuine only ;-)
Old 17 August 2010, 07:02 PM
QUICKSCOOB
Scooby Regular

Loads of STi's on their too mate.Happy hunting