Apexi ECU and Supporting hardware: Still confused

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2010, 11:28 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi ECU and Supporting hardware: Still confused

Hi guys,

My car is now ready to be mapped but being my first time I'm still stuck on what I need to get the apexi ecu to work and have multiple boost settings.
I can't afford an avcr and would like the boost settings to be changed on the hand commander, I believe you can have 4 settings on there?
I have an apexi boost controller and an additional cable that plugs in the side of the ecu which I'm not sure of. Now to do what I am asking do I just need a 3bar map sensor or do I have to get another form of boost controller?
Sorry for asking similar questions but no one person has just said yes a map sensor would do. Although have been advised that the apexi boost controller or avcr would work... But like I said if I can achieve what I would like with a 3bar map sensor then that's fine.
Also may need to find a good mapper near north Wales as I think I've put JGM off with my constant questions lol
Cheers,
Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 11:31 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

This is the map sensor I had in mind. http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=120

Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 06:04 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Bttt
Old 05 August 2010, 06:22 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GazJenno
Also may need to find a good mapper near north Wales as I think I've put JGM off with my constant questions lol
Gaz
Simon is put off by too many questions mate and why go anywhere else, especially if he's given you so much advice?
Old 05 August 2010, 06:35 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Oh no don't get me wrong I really want to use simon he's been a massive help all the way through my working on the car. Just not heard from him for a little while and it's a long way for him to come so wasn't sure if he would be able to do it as soon as I need it really. I appreciate he's a very busy man and in much demand and I will leave it abit longer to see if he responds to my phone message

But the issue of this MAP sensor and unknown lead I have is the final piece to sort out before mapping. Thanks for your comment but please don't think I am at all upset with simon!

Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 06:46 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Gaz, got you mate thats good to hear, i know he's a busy man and i also know hes got plenty going on this weekend so this is probably the hold up.

I'm assuming the boost controller you are refering to is the add on for the PowerFC? or is this the boost control solenoid from the AVCR which uses a different type plug i believe?

Earlier cars pre 1996 have a stock MAP sensor of 1.1 bar and the later cars i.e. 1997 onwards on classics have a 1.6 bar limit.......the 3 bar will only be required if you want to exceed the above limits or require additional room on the above 'bars'.

if you have the actual power fc boost control kit then this will justr plug into the white 6 or 8 pin connection on the ecu itself next to the commander port.
Old 05 August 2010, 07:03 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

The extra wiring which plugs into the side of the ecu will be the Apexi Boost Control Kit, which should consist of the Apexi MAP sensor, Apexi 3 Port Solenoid, and a loom.

If you plan to use the boost control kit, there's no point in using any MAP sensor other than the genuine Apexi one, as different sensors are scaled differently from 0-5Volts and will therefore read incorrectly if the scaling is not the same as the Apexi Item - PFC only uses MAP for overboost fuel cut purposes

Depending on what turbo you're using, and what boost level you're targetting, it may be worth using the 3 port solenoid anyway, rather than the OE item. - the solenoid from the boost kit is wired in place of the standard solenoid.

Last edited by FB Tuning; 05 August 2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Just realised OP has a phase1 car

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2010, 07:15 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

I have a 3port apexi boost control solenoid, the hand commander which plugs into the round port on the ecu, a random lead that plugs in the ecu by the hand commander but is only 3pin. There are no other sockets for auxiliary items on the ecu. The lead looks like it would fit the 3bar map sensor shown in the link.

So what is the actually apexi ecu boost control kit? I need a map sensor to go beyond my pre96 1.1 bar limit. If all I need is a map sensor that connects to the random lead which will then allow upto 4 boost setting then that's great, job done. It would look like that's how it would work but I don't know what this apexi ecu boost control kit is and consists of. Thanks again,
Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 07:15 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

I have a 3port apexi boost control solenoid, the hand commander which plugs into the round port on the ecu, a random lead that plugs in the ecu by the hand commander but is only 3pin. There are no other sockets for auxiliary items on the ecu. The lead looks like it would fit the 3bar map sensor shown in the link.

So what is the actually apexi ecu boost control kit? I need a map sensor to go beyond my pre96 1.1 bar limit. If all I need is a map sensor that connects to the random lead which will then allow upto 4 boost setting then that's great, job done. It would look like that's how it would work but I don't know what this apexi ecu boost control kit is and consists of. Thanks again,
Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 07:19 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

You've probably got a lead just for the Apexi MAP sensor, to allow higher than 1 bar of boost to be run.
Old 05 August 2010, 07:20 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Old 05 August 2010, 07:21 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Old 05 August 2010, 07:23 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
You've probably got a lead just for the Apexi MAP sensor, to allow higher than 1 bar of boost to be run.
Well with that lead and suitable map sensor does that mean I can run beyond 1.1 bar boost and use the hand commander to change between boost settings?
Cheers
Gaz
Old 05 August 2010, 07:23 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

The 2 small connectors pictured together are for Apexi MAP sensor.

Apexi boost solenoid just connects into factory loom, inplace of the OE solenoid

Last edited by FB Tuning; 05 August 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05 August 2010, 07:26 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GazJenno
Well with that lead and suitable map sensor does that mean I can run beyond 1.1 bar boost and use the hand commander to change between boost settings?
Cheers
Gaz
Yes
Old 05 August 2010, 07:35 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
The 2 small connectors pictured together are for Apexi MAP sensor.

Apexi boost solenoid just plugs into factory loom IIRC
Yep the boost solenoid does plug into the loom directly....
Old 06 August 2010, 07:49 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Cool, well that's what I need then a 3bar map sensor. I was told the one in the link at the top of the thread works on the apexi ecu? Yea I knew the boost control solenoid wired into the oe loom. You still keep the maf sensor even know you use the map sensor right?

Cheers for the clarification guys!
Gaz