Notices

Speedo not working, no fault code ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2010, 04:29 PM
Jamie Bird
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo not working, no fault code ?

Right, about a month ago my speedo on my 98 uk turbo started playing up then after a couple of days stopped working completly. A little annoying but not the end of the world as i have a Simtek e.c.u so the car still ran fine. I put the standard e.c.u back on today fully expecting the c.e.l light to come on because of the speedo sensor being broken.
I did an e.c.u reset then after checked the fault codes and all im getting is 24 which is idle air control solenoid ( which makes sense as my idle goes up and down slightly.)
What i dont understand is if my speedo isnt working at all how is the e.c.u not registering it as a fault ? Also i thought that if the speedo sensor was faulty then the car was'nt supposed to let you rev past 4500 which i still can ?
Has anyone come across this before or got any ideas whats going on ?
Cheers Jay
Old 04 August 2010, 09:14 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The (mechanical) speedo in my 93 WRX stopped working on two occasions.

1) The first time, the converter gearbox in the speedo cable broke (import), so there was no drive at all to the speedo. This initiated the 4,500 rpm rev limiter and constant CEL.

2) The second occasion, the speedo became irratic before finally packing in over the course of a few weeks. However, this only very occasionally threw a CEL, and was one reason why I didn't bother to do much about it for well over 6 months!! I checked that the speedo cable was pugged in at both ends and everything seemed fine, so I assumed the clock had packed-up. I even went as far as getting a new speedo clock, but when I took the old one out, found it was working perfectly. Refitted the original and it's been fine since.

Never did understand what happened!