Notices

grinding sound

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 05:53 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding sound

hi people i had the car remapped yesterday by duncan (dynamix) he did a brilliant job the car runs so smooth now and went like a rocket was out all afternoon in it yesterday and this morning but now after being addicted to the loud pedal abit to much i have a grinding noise from the front right wheel only at slow speed when i go faster it go's away and when i press the break it stops making the noise aswell. It is getting louder aswell any idea's does any 1 reckon i could have warped the disc or somthing more serious like a bearing

cheers for any help people

Last edited by pinkypurkhardt; 03 August 2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03 August 2010, 08:31 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

any 1 any idea's
Old 03 August 2010, 09:27 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

I have a similar thing happening on my O3 WRX but its at the garage hopefully being sorted.

The noise coming from mine was from the front right wheel when first moving off after being sat for any period of time. A slight rubbing noise can be heard and picks up speed with the speed of the car , but on depressing the brake pedal a few times it goes away, but once stopped and left for 5 mins, come back to car set off and same thing again. I believe the problem could be one of the pistons on the front caliper not settling back and when it gets some heat into it, its enough to let it relax back in and out of the bore. Maybe a similar problem, I believe sticky pistons are a known issue on the 4 pot Subaru Calipers.

HTH
Old 03 August 2010, 09:51 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

Il have a look at the callipers tomoz if i can but unlike yours when i pick up speed it stop and gets worse when its hot and it is quite loud enough to turn heads in the street lol thanks for the input il check the callpiper as soon as. The thing that threw me was it sounds like the breaks catching but it dont sound like its coming from the breaks sounds like its coming from further under the car near were the bottom of your feet would be if that makes sense
Old 03 August 2010, 09:58 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Oh right, sounds like it could be a drive shaft or something either end of it. Hope you find out what it is, and its nothing too expensive.
Old 03 August 2010, 10:35 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

yeah me to lol think i will have to take of my lead boot lol
Old 04 August 2010, 01:25 AM
RedmanR30
Scooby Newbie

I have an my03 blobeye sti prodrive, just recently purchased. When you set off from cold a rubbing type hissing noise can be heard when moving off or slightly once heated , coming to a stop. Unlike yourselves I don't have to much of a lead boot tho, despite having Brembo calipers.. Problem I have is the car can't be touched as it's under warranty, and the garage is playing ignorance could you guys shed any light on this?..

Trending Topics

Old 04 August 2010, 09:13 AM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

well im goning to take the calliper off today and see if it still does it so i will update later
Old 05 August 2010, 08:17 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

quick update took the caliper off today had a look all seem to be fine pads wernt glazed over disc dint seem to be warped just to check put on a old standard disc to check and did a few laps of the block now this is were it all go's abit grey lol the original grinding sound went (intermintent like somthing catching and loud) to a constant quiet grinding sound which i think may be a lip on the disc catching on the pad so tomorrow will swap the disc back over see if that changes out lol hopefully it was a piston sticking and now its freed up will see tomoz
Old 07 August 2010, 06:22 PM
pinkypurkhardt
Scooby Regular

all fixed was just a piston sticking