exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 12:31 AM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust help

Hi folks

I need to buy myself a new exhaust for my my00 classic ra (centre and back box) I’ve been searching through some previous threads and im thinking either:

ninja 2 (with afterbuner mid or separate order for H&S etc?)
afterburner vortex (as above for mid)
cobra (mid from cobra)
tsl group n or possibly firestorm (with tsl decat mid)

I also spotted these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-GDA-01-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-/120601309218?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles _CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1465f022

has anyone got one or heard anything about them?

My current exhaust is broken just after the downpipe, so is feckin loud!! so anything will seem quiet after having that the last couple of weeks lol. Don’t want something to quiet so ruled out the racebox etc, but don’t want something that’s gonna drone like hell, i don’t do much motorway driving and only live 5 mins from work though. read some mixed reviews on cobra and some say the vortex is louder than the ninja and vice versa! i know it obviously depends on other mods..

I need to double check but im pretty sure my decat downpipe is a 3" bore, so guessing 3" for the mid and bb would be the way to go?

im leaning towards ninja 2 and the tsl, think the group n would be a good all round one but not sure if this comes in 3"

any help / advice much appreciated!

Cheers
Dennis
Old 03 August 2010, 12:38 AM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

and after just typing all that out i'm not sure the vortex or ninja is available in 3" either can 2.5" centre and bb be fitted to 3" downpipe? or is it best to stick with ones available in 3"

Cheers
Old 03 August 2010, 12:46 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scooby_mad
Hi folks

I need to buy myself a new exhaust for my my00 classic ra (centre and back box) I’ve been searching through some previous threads and im thinking either:

ninja 2 (with afterbuner mid or separate order for H&S etc?)
afterburner vortex (as above for mid)
cobra (mid from cobra)
tsl group n or possibly firestorm (with tsl decat mid)

I also spotted these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-GDA-01-CAT-BACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-/120601309218?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles _CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1465f022

has anyone got one or heard anything about them?

My current exhaust is broken just after the downpipe, so is feckin loud!! so anything will seem quiet after having that the last couple of weeks lol. Don’t want something to quiet so ruled out the racebox etc, but don’t want something that’s gonna drone like hell, i don’t do much motorway driving and only live 5 mins from work though. read some mixed reviews on cobra and some say the vortex is louder than the ninja and vice versa! i know it obviously depends on other mods..

I need to double check but im pretty sure my decat downpipe is a 3" bore, so guessing 3" for the mid and bb would be the way to go?

im leaning towards ninja 2 and the tsl, think the group n would be a good all round one but not sure if this comes in 3"

any help / advice much appreciated!

Cheers
Dennis

Hi Dennis at first don't buy crappy exhaust from eBay(i have before one which has been too low and hiting every speed bump),be aware before you buy anything from eBay specials aka exhaust,turbo's.
With TSL you never go wrong( i have before one,which i sold to one member of MSOC),TSL are good exhaust with not too loud and but for this price you have lots of options aka Cobra Exhausts,H&S.
Just look at Group Buy where have Cobra Exhaust special price for members of Scoobynet or simply call him or send PM to Pete,which its very helpfull.
Old 03 August 2010, 03:03 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

i have an afterburner vortex back box with a full decat, the downpipe is 3 inch at the top and goes down to 2.5 inch. the afterburner vortex is not quiet but you can still have almost a whispered conversation, however when you put your foot down it is loud and deep, the best sound known to man, it really compliments the flat four burble. as for the 3 inch bore problem, the afterburner vortex is available in a 3 inch bore cat back, this means that the back box is 3 inch pipework and so is the centre section, however it narrows to 2.5 to meet the standard downpipe, its called a afterburner vortex R. i would recommend buying a bell mouth decatted downpipe which is 3 inch at the turbo and 2.5 inch where it meets the centre section and then you could just sell the one you have know. i doubt you will be able to source one of the 3 inch bore systems second hand, so keep your wallet handy.

here is a link

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1375

obviously you probably already know but you will need your map tweaking slightly after messing with the exhaust size etc.
Old 03 August 2010, 07:59 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an afterburner vortex on my 99uk turbo which was fully decatted in 2.5 inch bore - plenty loud enough and on my return journey from having the car mapped,my head was pounding after 60 miles on the motorway ,so i bought the bung for motorway journeys.For normal everyday driving has to be one of the best backboxes available and a lot more free flowing than most.
I currently have a ninja 2 on my 2000 uk turbo,which sounds just right imho,loud enough to hear the famous scooby rumble on tickover,but not as hardcore as the vortex,and can be heard over 0.3 mile away when your giving it some.Read the reviews from people who have purchased both backboxes below:

Afterburner Vortex
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=76

Ninja 2
http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1275
Old 03 August 2010, 09:09 AM
Billet
Scooby Regular

the vortex can be drony on the motorway, i just turned up the music as i didn't want the hassle of putting the bung on and taking it off again.

If you do get one mate, i seriously recommend that you find a street with cars parked on either side, put your windows down and give it some, it sounds like the dogs boll*cks.
might wanna keep an eye out for cops when doing this as they will definitely hear you.
Old 03 August 2010, 06:44 PM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

haha i can hear it now (along with all the car alarms!), cheers for the help, between the vortex and ninja 2 think im leaning slightly towards the latter..

Dont really want to replace the downpipe if i can help it, so probably going to stick with a 3" bore right through... Which narrows down the options because after speaking with TSL this afternoon the firestorm and group n aint available in a 3" system. So its down to..

ninja r 3" cat back - £340
afterburner r 3" cat back - £408
hayward & scott 3" centre and 3" bb (either angled jap or classic) £380
or the cobra 3" system - £300

Does anyone have the hayward & scott 3" system? Think i prefer this and the ninja. Would the 3" make a big.. difference to the noise?

Cheers!
D

Trending Topics

Old 03 August 2010, 11:59 PM
scooby_mad
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got or heard the japspeed 3" system? I just seen it, its about 100 quid cheaper than the rest?