Notices

classic turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2010, 10:00 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic turbo??

just done the clutch on the scoob lo and behold in doing this i find a million and one other things that need doing! it was covered in oil which had been coming in through the top inspection plate. (pas leak up top not rear main)
once the intercooler was out i noticed a small amount of oily dampness inside not wet but damp. ive since removed air intake etc as well to check and thats the same, am i right in thinking the turbo's seals are on theyre way out?!?! still drives absolutely fine and not burning oil, no smoke etc?

if so does anywhere reputable overhaul them or is it a case of splashing out??

many thanks for any advice. dale.

p.s can you do the rocker gaskets with the engine in place?? just wondering not really investigated as of yet i remember how awkward 1 of the plugs was without the correct tools....
Old 27 July 2010, 10:03 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demon_dald
just done the clutch on the scoob lo and behold in doing this i find a million and one other things that need doing! it was covered in oil which had been coming in through the top inspection plate. (pas leak up top not rear main)
once the intercooler was out i noticed a small amount of oily dampness inside not wet but damp. ive since removed air intake etc as well to check and thats the same, am i right in thinking the turbo's seals are on theyre way out?!?! still drives absolutely fine and not burning oil, no smoke etc?

if so does anywhere reputable overhaul them or is it a case of splashing out??

many thanks for any advice. dale.

p.s can you do the rocker gaskets with the engine in place?? just wondering not really investigated as of yet i remember how awkward 1 of the plugs was without the correct tools....
oil in the inlet is normal mate as it comes through from the breathers and yes you can do rocker cover gaskets with the engine in place,its abit of a fiddle but doable
Old 27 July 2010, 10:05 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that its quite normal to find a very small amount of oil in the intercooler.All of my 4 classics had it.
Old 27 July 2010, 10:20 PM
demon_dald
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys thanks, il keep an eye on it just incase it gets any worse, better get hold of some parts tomorrow then! i cleaned the cooler out anyway while it was out i may as well do the same with air inlet.

cheers