Notices

DO YOU HAVE TURBO/SMOKE TROUBLE???? PLEASE READ........

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2010, 07:56 PM
Auto_Sparky_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DO YOU HAVE TURBO/SMOKE TROUBLE???? PLEASE READ........

hello.
right.....this bit of advice/knoledge that might help some people if not sorry for wastin your time lol.

(i have a oil temp and boost gauge fitted. i always let the car warm to around 70 C befor giving it some and even tho i dont have a turbo timer i let the car cool down for around 2mins befor turning off)

mods, 2002 wrx... full decat, induction kit turbo smarts vee port bov with standard td04 turbo running 1.2bar remaped by duncan

about a year and a half ago i started gettin smoke out the exhaust on tickover but non down the road smoke would clear when reved up
then about 2 months ago i noticed on half throttle my boost was fluctuating between 10-15 psi but runngin full boost flat out and still pulled like a train.....

...the last few weeks ive been getting a slight rattle from around the turbo area i noticed one of the nutts had come off the bottom of the turbo replaced it and it seemed to quite it down ...

....today about 12pm i ran across town and on the way back put my foot down a little and noticed a lack of power, looked at the boost it was just reaching 10psi.... thought it was a little stange but then had traffic so couldnt boost up enough to see what was goin on i got back to work let the car cool down left the car till 5.30 started it up and just as i was about tho pull away gave it a little rev and had a big old pop out the back and a metalic ting noise so i stoped jumped out n check the oil as i no it has been using abit wile its been smoking, oil was fine???? jumped back in the car thought id take it easy on the way home and see how it goes as soon as i pulled away i had no induction noise and i wasnt building any boost im pretty sure my turbo has colapsed ...just thought id post as it might pre warn a few people.

just taken my turbo off , blades are lovly and free there is a little play in the turbine so that might explain my smoke but shook the turbo and sounded abit like a babys rattle i opened the wastegate and a chunk of what looks like cat has fell out my turbo wastegate :S i lookin down the up pipe it all seems ok im sumwhat puzzled i can understand now y i had no boost but how the hell did it get in there :S

couple of pics.... also i might have a little bit broke a sensor in the up pipe im assumin its a 02 sensor of somekind..... it doesnt rain but it pours...lol...

ooops...

Last edited by Auto_Sparky_WRX; 18 July 2010 at 07:58 PM.