ECU differences

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2010, 11:36 PM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU differences

My car (06 spec c) has been mapped a few times now with each upgrade,

Would I benefit going for a SIMTEK ? not really bothered about ALS or launch control !

over that would a SOLARIS be even better ?

do these ECU'S offer a more detailed map allowing to produce more power ?

if anyone could give me a good overview ?
Old 14 July 2010, 01:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your better with the standard ecu tbh, if your running 550bhp then upgrade, but chances are your not, so dont.

Tony
Old 14 July 2010, 09:15 AM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Your better with the standard ecu tbh, if your running 550bhp then upgrade, but chances are your not, so dont.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Should have mentioned this before, Car is currently having the engine built 2.1 CBD, omega pistons etc so should be hitting around 500 - 550 mark when ran in. before the build the car was running 400 bhp on standard internals .
Old 14 July 2010, 09:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

syvecs is the way to go then (renamed solaris).
Old 14 July 2010, 10:00 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

replacing the standard ECU would do away with the Maf also
Old 14 July 2010, 10:26 AM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
syvecs is the way to go then (renamed solaris).
I believe jolly green monster is running solaris and comparing to a simtek on his classic,
Old 14 July 2010, 10:33 AM
sc_sjo
Scooby Regular

Syvecs, which was Solaris, which is re-branded Life Racing which is based on Pectel.

That should say it all really.
Old 14 July 2010, 10:48 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DanT20
I believe jolly green monster is running solaris and comparing to a simtek on his classic,
not sur etbh, i know a few folks have gone from simtek to syvecs, most prefering the latter.

has the nock control been released for the simtek yet?
Old 14 July 2010, 10:52 AM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
not sur etbh, i know a few folks have gone from simtek to syvecs, most prefering the latter.

has the nock control been released for the simtek yet?
So protection is a key factor when choosing ?
Old 14 July 2010, 11:11 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

So protection is a key factor when choosing ?

if i had spent that much on an engine then would be high on my list. but its not all about that. price is a big thing, you'll pay more for a syvecs than you will a simtek, but they do say you get waht you pay for.
Old 14 July 2010, 11:15 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

have a look here for more info etc

http://www.syvecs.com/forum/index.php
Old 14 July 2010, 12:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

My car (06 spec c) has been mapped a few times now with each upgrade,

Would I benefit going for a SIMTEK ? not really bothered about ALS or launch control !

over that would a SOLARIS be even better ?

do these ECU'S offer a more detailed map allowing to produce more power ?

if anyone could give me a good overview ?
Its a complicated and also political subject.. ie. some tuners only supply certain products etc.. so I'll just touch the surface of the subject.

You have selected options of the two top runners imho.

The SimTek is very very good and will do a fantastic job, the Syvecs (Solaris) is the best. Your budget will have an influence, especially if you don't want antilag and launch control, we are spoilt for choice now, go back a very short time and the previous options were imho a lot more agricultural in there operation and software to map them.

Yes you will get more power than on the standard ecu for a number of reasons, the processors are faster, the maps have higher definitions and changes are done live and in an instant so when mapping the mapper can try numberous options in a very quick time rather than a long and drawn out process with the standard ecu with a high powered car. Don't get my wrong the standard ecu is a fantastic bit of kit for a mildly modded car but left behind when you get to this kind of power level / mod level.
Also sometimes find the standard ecu at 450+ will falsely pick up forged piston noise as det and retard timing and therefore be inconsistent and pulling timing and therefore power. This can be reduced by dampenning down the standard ecu sensitivety which then kind of defeats the object.

The SimTek's knock control has not been completed yet but should be available as an upgrade when it is etc. Although the flashing of the engine light does work very well as a det warning.

The Syvecs knock control works very well and also can be setup to switch the cel light if it has removed more timing due to detecting det than a specified threshold, allowing you to know it has. Also has the datalogging which you can download yourself with the software freely available on the website.

For most the 2 maps on the simtek are plenty, there is the possibility of an alteration to allow more.

The syvecs can have up to 8 map combinations on a rotary switch.. say low boost, high boost, crap fuel, good fuel etc .. or just two on a normal switch if you want.

Simon
Old 14 July 2010, 12:46 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I run two cars which both now run Syvecs (solaris), but then I would run the best available. The Simtek works very well.. but I am a fiddler and cannot leave the cars alone.. so my reasons also are different to others. My newage sti running 430~450bhp depending on fuel.. only difference was slightly smoother between simtek and syvecs, then all the extra features.

for example I have fed the oil pressure and oil temp into my ecu for monitoring purposes and setup engine trips.. if the oil pressure drops below a set threshold it cuts the engine, if the oil temp exceeds a set threshold it goes into limp mode whcih is currently 4000rpm etc.. along with water temp trip at 105C to limp mode.
Its nice to go out on track and just drive and know that if something happens I will be alerted to it rather than having to watch gauges etc.. I still have the gauges fitted but don't have to watch them if I am ON IT and to plug the laptop in after a session and read back the logs.. these features are fantastic but may never be used by lots of customers.

Simon
Old 14 July 2010, 01:03 PM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Its a complicated and also political subject.. ie. some tuners only supply certain products etc.. so I'll just touch the surface of the subject.

You have selected options of the two top runners imho.

The SimTek is very very good and will do a fantastic job, the Syvecs (Solaris) is the best. Your budget will have an influence, especially if you don't want antilag and launch control, we are spoilt for choice now, go back a very short time and the previous options were imho a lot more agricultural in there operation and software to map them.

Yes you will get more power than on the standard ecu for a number of reasons, the processors are faster, the maps have higher definitions and changes are done live and in an instant so when mapping the mapper can try numberous options in a very quick time rather than a long and drawn out process with the standard ecu with a high powered car. Don't get my wrong the standard ecu is a fantastic bit of kit for a mildly modded car but left behind when you get to this kind of power level / mod level.
Also sometimes find the standard ecu at 450+ will falsely pick up forged piston noise as det and retard timing and therefore be inconsistent and pulling timing and therefore power. This can be reduced by dampenning down the standard ecu sensitivety which then kind of defeats the object.

The SimTek's knock control has not been completed yet but should be available as an upgrade when it is etc. Although the flashing of the engine light does work very well as a det warning.

The Syvecs knock control works very well and also can be setup to switch the cel light if it has removed more timing due to detecting det than a specified threshold, allowing you to know it has. Also has the datalogging which you can download yourself with the software freely available on the website.

For most the 2 maps on the simtek are plenty, there is the possibility of an alteration to allow more.

The syvecs can have up to 8 map combinations on a rotary switch.. say low boost, high boost, crap fuel, good fuel etc .. or just two on a normal switch if you want.

Simon
Fantastic help Simon

(edited to remove commercial content)

Last edited by Kieran_Burns; 14 July 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 01:33 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

The SimTek's knock control has not been completed yet but should be available as an upgrade when it is etc.

is it ever gonna come out? always seems to be next month, next month, next month lol
Old 14 July 2010, 02:05 PM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Don't get my wrong the standard ecu is a fantastic bit of kit for a mildly modded car but left behind when you get to this kind of power level / mod level.

Simon
Is there any difference in a 06 spec C ECUTEK to a 03 spec C ECUTEK ?
Old 14 July 2010, 03:36 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

simon,

do you not find it find it quite nerve racking

that if your going round the track (on a straight at over a ton)

and then suddenly the engine cuts out

would this not cause confusion (i.e is there something wrong with my car or was it the ecu that did it)

cheers

steve
Old 14 July 2010, 03:53 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevemoir
simon,

I've got a very similar setup to Simon's - a number of critical sensors on the car are able to cause a limp, or, if things go beyond preset "emergency" parameters, perform a controlled fast shutdown.

And no it doesn't worry me, primarily because if it happens I'll know about it due to the fact I'll have had a dash full of warning lights (inc a message telling me what input is out of parameter) before the actual shutdown, so will probably already have lifted off, and even if I haven't, the message display will tell me straight away why it's happened.

would this not cause confusion (i.e is there something wrong with my car or was it the ecu that did it)
There's no confusion there, is there? If the ECU has shut the engine down, it's because one of its sensors is telling it there's something wrong with the car. So, either way, there's something wrong with the car.

I'd much rather have the ECU do it electively than wait until a very unpleasant noise under the bonnet, or a load of smoke out the back, or whatever, tells me I need to switch off.

Last edited by Splitpin; 14 July 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 14 July 2010, 03:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stevemoir
simon,

cheers

steve
I would rather than the do damage if I have say an oil leak, but you can select whether to do that, or go into limp mode or do nothing etc

Simon
Old 15 July 2010, 12:57 PM
DanT20
Scooby Regular

Would there be any issues running 500 + on ECUTEK ?
Old 16 July 2010, 01:53 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Would there be any issues running 500 + on ECUTEK ?
yes

currently have few customers in the late 400s on ecutek... I think they may possible make 500+ on after market ecus as spend so long sorting issues with standard ecu.

There is a map based rom file available.. however you are still fighting issues using the standard ecu a lot of the time.

Simon