Notices

A few questions for the Mappers

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2010, 10:33 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for the Mappers

After fitting a front mount, IK, FPR, Walbro, ported headers, Manifold spacers and semi-parrallel fuel lines is it safe to drive to a suitable mapping location if done off boost?!

Also, how do mappers prefer to Map a car, on the road or on a rolling road?

I also have an Apexi ecu with hand commander with boost solenoid and dont know how to fit it would this be done by the mapper on the day?

And finally, I have not yet fitted the ECU or injectors (440s) for obvious reasons but if I did is it possible to get a base map on the ECU to get the car to a suitable location for mapping?

sorry if these questions my be abit obvious or stupid but I havent had a car mapped before and as I dont know how the process goes Im abit concerned.

Cheers,
Gaz
Old 09 July 2010, 11:22 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the standard ecu with a working lambda sensor is very good at adjusting the fuelling on cruise and idle.

As long as you stay light throttle even with the 440cc injectors in it should be no issue.

Boost solenoid and ecu fitment is best left to mapper.. quick and easy job and you need to access the ecu to plug into it anyway..

The rolling road or road mapping is a big can of worms.. personnally I prefer a combination of both road and rolling road.. but it does also depend on what power the car is likely to be producing as to what makes most common sense.

Simon
Old 09 July 2010, 01:21 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon! Great advice as always... I have the car running now and was hoping to give you a call about mapping soon but I just cant see how Im going to get it insured now it has been modified and has a roll cage I know of a local rolling road that I maybe able to get use of and maybe able to trailer the car to it.

Didnt know it would be ok with the 440cc injectors in, wish I knew that when I had the manifold off lol, ahh well. The ECU fitment will take 2 secs as there is no carpet over it anymore.

I was hoping to get a reliable 300-320bhp out of it. Is it possible to have a switchable map with an Apexi or do I just need a boost controller as I would like to be able to go full throttle at say 0.8BAR boost for suspension testing and have around 1.25BAR boost for quick laps.

Thanks again,

Gaz
Old 09 July 2010, 01:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I am assuming this is your 93wrx?

you need a boost controller or the apexi map sensor to go over 1bar can trick it to about 1.1bar but no more.

If you have the commander it can be altered between 0.7bar and 1.1bar on the commander.

Ideally you need a boost controller.

If you have no intension of using it on the road then we can just do it on the rollers.

Simon
Old 09 July 2010, 01:43 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Yes this is the 93WRX. I will look into getting an apexi map sensor or iirc you said you may be able to supply me with a suitable manual boost controller?

Thats great if I can use the hand commander to alter between boost settings.

I do have intentions to use the car on both road an track but simply cant afford the insurance quotes I have been getting at the moment. So may have to trailer it to some rollers... I will look into it some more and then give you a call.

cheers,

Gaz
Old 09 July 2010, 01:47 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

yes but manual only allows one boost level.

try keith michaels and speak to Gary.

Simon
Old 09 July 2010, 01:51 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

So it would be best to get an electronic boost controller over the apexi map sensor? Then that would allow more than the 1.1BAR and allow the adjustability?

I will give him a ring but he didnt sound to hopeful when I explained Im 22 trying to insured a modified Impreza with a roll cage. Worth another try though!

Gaz

Trending Topics

Old 09 July 2010, 01:53 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

the apexi map sensor would allow 4 selectable boost levels upto most sensible to run on the setup.

An electronic boost controller such as the apexi avcr is better as it has rpm dependant control and gear controlled boost settings.

Simon
Old 09 July 2010, 02:27 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Very expensive for the Apexi AVCR, although it does look worth it. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Do you have to get anything extra for the Apexi to add in Air intake temperature compensation?

Gaz
Old 09 July 2010, 02:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

not that does as good a job..

but there is others with no rpm or gear compensations that will work well.

no the apexi for the 96 and earlier car cannot take and air intake temperature sensor
Old 09 July 2010, 11:44 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Gaz, I have the Apexi MAP sensor, if you're interested. I pulled it off my old 93 WRX before I PX'd it!

Simon, I also have the Apexi 3-port BCS - will this work on my STi 5 (in place of its OEM 2-port) i.e. can it be wired up/mapped okay, if not using the Apexi PFC with it (I'll be using the OEM EcuTeK'd ECU instead)? Or would I need to use the OEM 3-port from a MY93-96 car?

Gaz, if the Apexi BCS is unsuitable for my car, then that'd be for sale too. That way you can have the full Apexi Boost Control Kit added to your PFC/Commander...

Last edited by joz8968; 09 July 2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10 July 2010, 07:26 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joz - any 3 port will work when mapped for it. Most are not dependant on which way around you wire then so it is simple to connect two wires. Pipework is pretty simple too. But best left to your mapper to fit IMO
Old 10 July 2010, 08:17 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Be careful though as previous owner of my car carried out a lot of mods, drove it lightly on the road before remap, had one moment of madness (high revs) & fooked the car!

TX.
Old 10 July 2010, 09:50 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

I thought that was the case Duncan - just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, I'll get the mapper to fit it prior to mapping.

FTR, is it...

NO (normally open): to turbo comp. bleed nipple
NC (norm. closed): VTA
COM (common): to wastegate

Is that right?

Last edited by joz8968; 10 July 2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10 July 2010, 10:55 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Thats correct Joz
Old 10 July 2010, 11:00 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Cool Simon, thanks.
Old 10 July 2010, 11:14 AM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

thread seems to have moved on a bit so... with regards to the comments about avcr, mapping through gear etc..

i was advised by a nice but opinionated mapper in my local area that there should only really be a need to have more than one map if using different fuel.. also as 4 wheel drive it is not necessary to map boost through gears as this would only need to compensate for potential traction issues which at 320bhp i wouldnt get

Simon, your views on this would be appreciated cos i know you are one of the most respect mappers around
Old 10 July 2010, 11:55 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Gaz, I have the Apexi MAP sensor, if you're interested. I pulled it off my old 93 WRX before I PX'd it!

Simon, I also have the Apexi 3-port BCS - will this work on my STi 5 (in place of its OEM 2-port) i.e. can it be wired up/mapped okay, if not using the Apexi PFC with it (I'll be using the OEM EcuTeK'd ECU instead)? Or would I need to use the OEM 3-port from a MY93-96 car?

Gaz, if the Apexi BCS is unsuitable for my car, then that'd be for sale too. That way you can have the full Apexi Boost Control Kit added to your PFC/Commander...
Maybe interested in the MAP sensor if this will work for me? I have the Apexi 3-port BCS already. If I have the MAP sensor what does that mean? Im new to getting the car ready for mapping and am trying to learn the best options.

If I had the map sensor would that mean I could run over 1.1BAR boost? and would that allow me to reduce boost on the hand controller for testing purposes? As in the earlier post Simon stated that ideally I need a boost controller.

I cant afford the boost controller yet Im afraid so my choice is MBC set at over 1.1BAR, leave the apexi ecu do its job and stay below 1.1BAR or use the MAP sensor setup if thats cheaper than a Electronic BC?!

Gaz
Old 10 July 2010, 12:27 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yes, the Apexi MAP allows any relative boost setting up to nearly 2bar!!! of boost! (which you're not likely to need - so 'future proofed'! ).

As Simon said, when its installed, invoked and remapped, you can choose from 4 boost settings on the Commander under "Settings" > "Boost". Ergo, after plumbing the MAP in, you run its electrical wiring through the bulkhead, into the footwell, and plug its connector into the side of the PFC. Then you invoke it - so that the PFC only 'sees' the Apexi MAP sensor and ignores the OEM one - by using the Commander and going into "Etc" > "Function Select" > "Boost Cntl Kit" menu, and invoke it.

Last edited by joz8968; 10 July 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10 July 2010, 12:36 PM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

cool, thank you!

PM sent Joz

Gaz
Old 10 July 2010, 01:21 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by imprezabob
thread seems to have moved on a bit so... with regards to the comments about avcr, mapping through gear etc..

i was advised by a nice but opinionated mapper in my local area that there should only really be a need to have more than one map if using different fuel.. also as 4 wheel drive it is not necessary to map boost through gears as this would only need to compensate for potential traction issues which at 320bhp i wouldnt get

Simon, your views on this would be appreciated cos i know you are one of the most respect mappers around
Quick reply via mobile, more later.
The opposite, adjust boost so same in all gears rather than load altering it etc.
So more power in lower gears than with out gear control
Old 10 July 2010, 01:41 PM
imprezabob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Quick reply via mobile, more later.
The opposite, adjust boost so same in all gears rather than load altering it etc.
So more power in lower gears than with out gear control

Cheers simon
Old 10 July 2010, 09:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by imprezabob

The advantage with being able to change boost level will depend on the power level and the use of the car. For example.. on my car running 620bhp @ 2bar boost I like the turn it down to 1.5bar in the wet else I'll end up facing the wrong direction lol.
If your other half drives the car you might want to turn the boost down or if you put it into a garage for some work to be done etc.
It will only save you fuel if you are driving at full or near full throttle.. and if you want to be driving that fast then you are going to want it on the high boost setting until it is wet etc.

Thr advantage with gear dependant boost control is not the target boost level on the subaru because like you say it is 4 wheel drive so traction is less of an issue, but due to the less load in the lower gear you can add more duty so as to try and make the same boost in the lower gears as in the higher and turn it down a little in 5th..
So you get say 1.4bar in all 5gears rather than 1.1 in 1st, 1.2bar in 2nd, 1.3bar in 3rd etc ..

Simon