Notices

turbo lag problem please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2010, 03:33 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo lag problem please help!!!!

hello people,right i took my car to a garage the other day for a clutch test and they test drove my car when they came back they said they think my turbos blown coz the amount of turbo lag its got,it dosnt start to boost until 4000 rpms but then i told him its a td06 which is bigger therefore more lag so do you think hes right or is this down to it being a bigger turbo??i took my induction pipe off of the turbo coz they said that it was blown on that side but i had no oil in there at all so im confused now.lol.ur advise is needed many thanks....
Old 20 June 2010, 03:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, as we dont have much of an idea what your car is (year and model) or what modifications (front mount, remap etc) you have, can we have more info or its just a waste of time posting.

Ta
Old 20 June 2010, 08:33 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ok, as we dont have much of an idea what your car is (year and model) or what modifications (front mount, remap etc) you have, can we have more info or its just a waste of time posting.

Ta
yeah sorry my94 wrx import,its has a full decat and up pipe induction kit uprated fuel pump hks bov fmic uprated headers td06 turbo yellow injectors and it has a prova ecu not sure about the remap but its running 285bhp at 14psi,thanks
Old 20 June 2010, 08:41 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Still got a 2.0L? If so, then I bet it's just the turbo is far too big for the engine's flow rate i.e. can't get the relatively huge exhaust TD06 turbine/housing moving fast enough, due to too much inertia/volume respectively.

It's certaintly FAR too big for 285bhp. If you still have the OEM TMIC (which you no doubt have, because of the bhp its making), then a TD04L will make that with wicked low down spool. If you don't intend on replacing the TMIC with something better, then I'd get rid of the 06 and stick on an 04 and get a remap - the difference in pick-up will be night and day...

EDIT: Oops, sorry you have a FMIC. In that case you defo need a remap to get the most out of your mods/safety! That's why it's making only 285 on a Prova ECU. God knows what your AFR's are reading - I bet they're all over the place and ultimately running well lean. You need to address this ASAP...

Your best course of action, is to replace the TD06 with a VF35, then when you get a remap, you should make 330-340bhp with transformed spool - the yellow 440cc injectors being the limiting factor. Which is good for an aged MY94 i.e. you really don't want any more, for the health of the engine/'box...

Last edited by joz8968; 20 June 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 20 June 2010, 09:34 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
Still got a 2.0L? If so, then I bet it's just the turbo is far too big for the engine's flow rate i.e. can't get the relatively huge exhaust TD06 turbine/housing moving fast enough, due to too much inertia/volume respectively.

It's certaintly FAR too big for 285bhp. If you still have the OEM TMIC (which you no doubt have, because of the bhp its making), then a TD04L will make that with wicked low down spool. If you don't intend on replacing the TMIC with something better, then I'd get rid of the 06 and stick on an 04 and get a remap - the difference in pick-up will be night and day...

EDIT: Oops, sorry you have a FMIC. In that case you defo need a remap to get the most out of your mods/safety! That's why it's making only 285 on a Prova ECU. God knows what your AFR's are reading - I bet they're all over the place and ultimately running well lean. You need to address this ASAP...

Your best course of action, is to replace the TD06 with a VF35, then when you get a remap, you should make 330-340bhp with transformed spool - the yellow 440cc injectors being the limiting factor. Which is good for an aged MY94 i.e. you really don't want any more, for the health of the engine/'box...
ok thanks for the advice mate that really helps me decide my next corse of action,different turbo and a remap.cheers mate
Old 20 June 2010, 09:42 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

In the meantime, I'd seriously drive off boost (or best of all don't drive it at all!). Unless you get the all-clear on your AFR's from a rolling road session (although I believe det cans aren't used, so can't monitor for det).

But that said, it's odds on that the AFR's will be well lean with all your massive extra unchecked airfow (huge turbo/FMIC/unmappped)...
Old 20 June 2010, 10:51 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All those mods without a remap is asking for trouble or poor performance.

Be interested in see the dyno graphs.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iank07
yeah sorry my94 wrx import,its has a full decat and up pipe induction kit uprated fuel pump hks bov fmic uprated headers td06 turbo yellow injectors and it has a prova ecu not sure about the remap but its running 285bhp at 14psi,thanks
Blimey. Did you buy it like that or did someone advise you to modify it in that specific way?

What Duncan and Joz said btw.
Old 21 June 2010, 07:50 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

TD06 is always going to be laggy as **** unless you have AVCS heads and it would still be laggy then
Old 21 June 2010, 02:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Totally.
Old 21 June 2010, 04:01 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Blimey. Did you buy it like that or did someone advise you to modify it in that specific way?

What Duncan and Joz said btw.
yeah i brought it like that mate someone didnt no what they were doing by the sound of it but il sort it out now i know what im dealing with thanks to you guys,thanks for the help.
Old 21 June 2010, 04:03 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

In the meantime, I'd seriously drive off boost (or best of all don't drive it at all!). Unless you get the all-clear on your AFR's from a rolling road session (although I believe det cans aren't used, so can't monitor for det).

But that said, it's odds on that the AFR's will be well lean with all your massive extra unchecked airfow (huge turbo/FMIC/unmappped)...
when i had it on the rolling road recently they said it was running rich and so did the mot garage but either way it aint right.
Old 21 June 2010, 04:30 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

It is running rich because the injectors are bigger than what the ecu think they are. Either way it isnt right and too rich can be bad for the engine bores.
Old 21 June 2010, 07:46 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

...and it's probably running far too much ignition timing on boost, for Uk fuel.
Old 21 June 2010, 08:29 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
...and it's probably running far too much ignition timing on boost, for Uk fuel.
im running it on tesco 99 at the mo but was thinking of using some type of octain booster to add more to the 99..
Old 21 June 2010, 10:23 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Just get that turbo replaced with a VF35 or TD05 16g and get that remap asap, as already mentioned by us/acknowledeged by yourself. Then all will be sorted...
Old 22 June 2010, 06:11 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A TD06 depending on the derivitive is a 400 to 500 bhp turbo.
You need to speak to a competent mapper who can map a Prova and advise you on what you should be doing, preferably after first seeing the car. The internals on your car will be at risk beyond the high 300s. On a car like yours expect to break the gearbox at some point as you raise power. The box in your car is TY752 and you can replace it with a TY754 from model year 99 onwards but make sure that the front and rear diff ratios are the same. Yellow injectors 440cc will get you to 325 bhp or somewhere around there and beyond that you need 550s to get about 400 bhp. Start with a Walbro 341 fuel pump (255 lph).
You could look at an alternative turbo to give quicker spool and max out your existing injectors and you could look at TD05 16G, VF23, VF24, VF28, 29, 30, 34, or 35. If you go for a second hand turbo be very careful you do not pick up a pup. It rather sounds like there is nothing wrong with your existing turbo and it is likely to be of interest to someone with a 2.5 litre and will probably sell for more than a replacement from the above list if it is of an established make. If it is a cheap Chinese copy just forget it having any great value.
If you go down this route you can reasonably expect to develop the car, subject to your mapper to around 325 bhp.

You need to find someone that knows what they are talking about, that will give you honest advice without any regard to their potential financial gain. It also sounds like the garage who told you your turbo was kaput didn't reallly know what they were talking about.
Not referring to the garage above but take care as there are a lot of greedy people out there.
Hope this helps.
Old 22 June 2010, 08:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

All points perfectly summed up by harvey.

OP that's precisely the score with with your car/situation ^^^^
Old 23 June 2010, 05:04 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
A TD06 depending on the derivitive is a 400 to 500 bhp turbo.
You need to speak to a competent mapper who can map a Prova and advise you on what you should be doing, preferably after first seeing the car. The internals on your car will be at risk beyond the high 300s. On a car like yours expect to break the gearbox at some point as you raise power. The box in your car is TY752 and you can replace it with a TY754 from model year 99 onwards but make sure that the front and rear diff ratios are the same. Yellow injectors 440cc will get you to 325 bhp or somewhere around there and beyond that you need 550s to get about 400 bhp. Start with a Walbro 341 fuel pump (255 lph).
You could look at an alternative turbo to give quicker spool and max out your existing injectors and you could look at TD05 16G, VF23, VF24, VF28, 29, 30, 34, or 35. If you go for a second hand turbo be very careful you do not pick up a pup. It rather sounds like there is nothing wrong with your existing turbo and it is likely to be of interest to someone with a 2.5 litre and will probably sell for more than a replacement from the above list if it is of an established make. If it is a cheap Chinese copy just forget it having any great value.
If you go down this route you can reasonably expect to develop the car, subject to your mapper to around 325 bhp.

You need to find someone that knows what they are talking about, that will give you honest advice without any regard to their potential financial gain. It also sounds like the garage who told you your turbo was kaput didn't reallly know what they were talking about.
Not referring to the garage above but take care as there are a lot of greedy people out there.
Hope this helps.
thanks for that mate that just about covers everything that i needed to no really appericiated
Old 23 June 2010, 05:25 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

also my turbo has a 90 degree bend on the indution side of the turbo any idea what turbo it is?i no its a tdo6 but not sure who its made by?thanks
Old 23 June 2010, 05:57 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

also my turbo has a 90 degree bend on the indution side of the turbo any idea what turbo it is?i no its a tdo6 but not sure who its made by?thanks

try and post a picture if you can.
Old 23 June 2010, 07:08 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

As MY94 has said, a picture (or a few non-blurry close-ups of the turbo area) would be worth something in the region of a thousand words. You would expect a turbo fitted to a car of this age to have a right-angle entry on it so this alone doesn'y say a lot.

And, I'll ask the obvious question now. How do you "know" your car has a TD06 turbo? Do you have some sort of documentary evidence or a receipt for one, or are you relying on something the seller of the car told you?

If it's a genuine TD06 it'll be made (at least in significant part) by Mitsubishi. However right now it seems possible that it could be anything from a perfectly good turbo (albeit one that is totally unsuited to your engine), some cr*ppy eBay knockoff, or maybe you even have a knackered old TD05 or TD04 in there. Pictures would help us help you.
Old 24 June 2010, 05:33 AM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
As MY94 has said, a picture (or a few non-blurry close-ups of the turbo area) would be worth something in the region of a thousand words. You would expect a turbo fitted to a car of this age to have a right-angle entry on it so this alone doesn'y say a lot.

And, I'll ask the obvious question now. How do you "know" your car has a TD06 turbo? Do you have some sort of documentary evidence or a receipt for one, or are you relying on something the seller of the car told you?

If it's a genuine TD06 it'll be made (at least in significant part) by Mitsubishi. However right now it seems possible that it could be anything from a perfectly good turbo (albeit one that is totally unsuited to your engine), some cr*ppy eBay knockoff, or maybe you even have a knackered old TD05 or TD04 in there. Pictures would help us help you.
yeah i know its a td06 as it says it on the turbo,il try and upload a picture after work today mate
Old 25 June 2010, 07:51 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen a TD06 90 degree entry cover. They may exist just I have not seen one as they are all front entry that we have used. Take care that you are not reading an 05 for an 06.
At the end of the day you need someone to look at your car that knows what they are doing because it does sound like your turbo is spooling very late.
Old 25 June 2010, 03:49 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
I have not seen a TD06 90 degree entry cover. They may exist just I have not seen one as they are all front entry that we have used. Take care that you are not reading an 05 for an 06.
At the end of the day you need someone to look at your car that knows what they are doing because it does sound like your turbo is spooling very late.
do you no of any good subaru places in the essex area that i can take the car to and let them check it over?coz i aint got a clue where any are?cheers
Old 25 June 2010, 04:06 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Xtreme Scoobies in Boreham?

Xtreme Scoobies

Last edited by joz8968; 25 June 2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 25 June 2010, 06:38 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

do you no of any good subaru places in the essex area that i can take the car to and let them check it over?coz i aint got a clue where any are?cheers

still no picture?? how can you expect clear and accurate advice if you dont give us the information we need to help you.
Old 25 June 2010, 08:43 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
still no picture?? how can you expect clear and accurate advice if you dont give us the information we need to help you.
aint had the time to take the induction system off so you can get a proper picture ov it yet mate but will do it asap as im not silly enough to think you would no what it is without a picture and without it its pointless me talking about it,so il get it on here hopefully early afternoon tomorrow.thanks
Old 25 June 2010, 08:51 PM
iank07
Scooby Regular

Xtreme Scoobies in Boreham?

Xtreme Scoobies
nice one cheers for that il get her booked in asap