Notices

Any ideas on the two odd noises?

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2002, 09:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. During a brisk drive if you pull up to a junction when moving slowly there is an occasional humming sound from left rear wheel, disappears with a small pull of the handbrake but not on applying the foot brake. Brakes all work fine. Could it be a sticking shoe for the handbrake?

2. During high rev gearchanges even if you are quite smooth, on depressing the clutch pedal before even moving the gearlever there is a noises like a 2 or 3 screws being shaken in a tin. It doesn't sound severe or terminal as such, but much more noticeable during brisk driving.

Don't want to feel like I am breaking the poor Scooby with all this fun. Sorry all a bit vague I am a bit slow with greasy things
Old 30 March 2002, 09:59 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

I've not had any noises like that I'm afraid but it does make me think about track driving and generally thrashing these cars. All that hard acceleration and braking as well as cornering, must stress every bit of the car. After a while it's no wonder that something will give in some way.

I bet there are a few peeps on here who have strange noises and extra 'play' on the controls after such rigerous treatment.

I don't drive mine that hard but I've noticed a slight clunk on braking from the rear pads - could that be the pads shifting in the calipers? I'll get it looked at at my next service.

F
Old 30 March 2002, 10:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I only mentioned them because I went out in my wife's 406 V6 this afternoon and it is soooooo smooth it made the Scooby feel like a bag of nails later on. A rather fast bag of nails, but you do notice all the noises after being in a "normal" car for a while
Old 30 March 2002, 10:54 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. - don't know but your guess sounds sensible.

2. - I think this is the brake pipes vibrating against the bulk head - quite common, often described as a "barking" sound on gear change and seems to affect a certain rev range. Look against the back of the engine bay on the driver's side and you will see approx. 4 of these pipes running parallel against the bulkhead, probably cipped together with a platic clip. Just shove something down the back to stop pipes rattling against the metal behind. You could use a bit of cardboard, foam, anything really. Hopefully the sound will go away
Old 30 March 2002, 11:03 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

When I bought my car brand new, it seemed quite civilised but after a few tweeks it has become a bit raw. You don't actually notice the change until you go in a normal or standard impreza again.

The thing is it has become impossible to trade back the extra performance for quiet (slow) and smooth running.

F
Old 31 March 2002, 08:53 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Thanks Boost I'll take a look. A barking is a good description.

It's not all that bad Floyd - it is still smooth otherwise - most cars even standard have their noises. The barking sound happens even at standard boost just as loud, so I'm not sure it is power-mad related.
Old 31 March 2002, 12:50 PM
Cosie Convert
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

For chri8t sake John, your car's whisper quiet inside !!

Fit a cone filter, dump valve and a Blitz exhaust that'll stop you hearing those little noises
Old 31 March 2002, 01:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Boost thanks you were right - now I don't fear for my gearbox

Thanks to John Harley for help with the brake. Some brake cleaner in and it hasn't done it again, but it was intermittent so I'll need to see..

Nice to have all present and correct for the track.

The boost controller is now working well with a 16-18 PSI adjustment **** and nice but not excessive peak (under 1 PSI and doesn't get worse on a blast). I'll probably run 16.5 PSI for the track