Notices

How far is a rotated uppipe rotated?

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2010, 04:47 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far is a rotated uppipe rotated?

Iv decided to go for a twisted setup on my build, iv currently got a set of stainless headers with all in-one uppipe, i want to get the uppipe rotated so i can fit something along the lines of a gt30 in the usuall rotated position, can anyone offer any guidance as to how much it needs to be rotated by please?.

As im working to a tight budget i wanted to try this rather that spending out for a new set.

Thanks

Ian
Old 14 June 2010, 06:42 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember that if you rotate the turbo you will also have to modify your downpipe.
How far you rotate the turbo if you are doing it yourself is entirely up to you and it will become obvious as you do the work what degree of rotating was required for your set up.
If you have stainless steel uppipe and downpipe you will need access to stainless steel cutting and welding equipment along with stainless steel pipe of the diameter of your uppipe plus downpipe and a bending facility would be advantageous but you can do it without this.
Having done this it is not something to undertake lightly and there is a fair degree of trial and error.
Bear in mind that there are a lot of high power turbos that will fit in the conventional position and I actually run a GT30 conventionally mounted.
Old 14 June 2010, 07:11 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Remember that if you rotate the turbo you will also have to modify your downpipe.
How far you rotate the turbo if you are doing it yourself is entirely up to you and it will become obvious as you do the work what degree of rotating was required for your set up.
If you have stainless steel uppipe and downpipe you will need access to stainless steel cutting and welding equipment along with stainless steel pipe of the diameter of your uppipe plus downpipe and a bending facility would be advantageous but you can do it without this.
Having done this it is not something to undertake lightly and there is a fair degree of trial and error.
Bear in mind that there are a lot of high power turbos that will fit in the conventional position and I actually run a GT30 conventionally mounted.
Thanks for the reply harvey, i may have some one to cut and weld the stainless for me mate i was hoping the plate the turbo sits on could maybe be removed and re-welded in the rotated position. I did think about the OE mount units but im using a phase one manifold as using a v1 sti loom, am i right in saying the standard mount unit`s are FE?, mine being an early type is the 90deg entry, i was thinking of space more than anything mate and trying to get the inlet to the turbo with the least amount of bends etc.
There are probably more way`s around it that going rotated i was just thinking of using what i have to keep cost down as on a tight budget.
Although any other suggestions will be more than welcome fella.

Thanks again

Ian
Old 15 June 2010, 04:56 AM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Most rotated torbos of the GT family run a different flange on the uppipe, so reweldingthe stock flange is only going to allow you to rotate mount a TD series turbo.

And seeing as they already fit ,and do not benefit much from a different mounting position (which imho is only to allow for fitting of a physically larger turbo)it would be a lot of hassle.
If you want to go rotated you would need the correct flange (a t3/t4) for a GT series turbo.

If you just want the shortest piping maybe rotating the compressor housing (i.e. clocking the turbo)is more then enough for your use.
This involves rotating the housing (and maybe removing the 90 degree bend)to allow for shorter piping,and also fabbing up a wastegate mounting.
Old 15 June 2010, 07:51 PM
worbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dutch Scooby lover
Most rotated torbos of the GT family run a different flange on the uppipe, so reweldingthe stock flange is only going to allow you to rotate mount a TD series turbo.

And seeing as they already fit ,and do not benefit much from a different mounting position (which imho is only to allow for fitting of a physically larger turbo)it would be a lot of hassle.
If you want to go rotated you would need the correct flange (a t3/t4) for a GT series turbo.

If you just want the shortest piping maybe rotating the compressor housing (i.e. clocking the turbo)is more then enough for your use.
This involves rotating the housing (and maybe removing the 90 degree bend)to allow for shorter piping,and also fabbing up a wastegate mounting.

I didnt realsise the gt series had different flanges, suppose its pretty obvious they wouldn`t run subaru oe mountings lol, well still learning and taking in everyones advice and info.
I think i will just got for an oe mount type turbo, seems alot of hassle for nothing really.
Thanks for the advice though, very much apriciated

Ian
Old 16 June 2010, 08:22 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

You can get a GT Series Turbo that is a direct fit to the Subaru uppipe / downpipe and you can get others that require the T3/T4 oblong flange type.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:11 PM
Dutch Scooby lover
Scooby Regular

Indeed Harvey, but seeing as the ones with the standard Subaru flange already fit the car, rotating the turbo would be quite daft imho.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:39 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Exactly. Common sense really.