Notices

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2010, 08:00 PM
cool grey 5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Hi all my check engine light came on today got car home & connected the 2 black male & female connecters together. Ignition on the light flashed twice slow & twice fast. Checked the list I have but no 22? Doe's anyone know what this code is or have I got it wrong? Car is a my99 impreza STI V5. Since doing the check the light has stayed off. Any help appreciated.
Steve.
Old 08 June 2010, 08:05 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Your list is a bit incomplete. Code 22 is the knock sensor (or circuit). It has come on either because your sensor's on its way out or there's a wiring issue somewhere between it and the ECU.

If this is the first time you've seen the CEL, the best move for now is probably to try and reset your ECU (the black + green plugs way). If it won't reset and continually gives you the 22 error, either check the sensor (ask if you want to know how) or replace it.

If your ECU will reset successfully, keep a close eye on the CEL and use the black plugs every couple of days to check for any recurrence you didn't spot. If it comes back a second time, it isn't a one off so either replacement or testing.
Old 08 June 2010, 08:36 PM
cool grey 5
Scooby Newbie

The cel has been on before but went out on it's own at next service they checked it & reset it, was tolded to keep an eye on it. How do I check it to see if it needs replacing? Also where is it mounted on the engine?
Thanks Steve.
Old 08 June 2010, 09:03 PM
wilxy
Scooby Regular

I had this on my classic, the CEL came on a couple of times randomly? replaced the knock sensor and has been good since. You can just about see it under the TMIC on the engine block, do a search on here using this: "knock sensor location" using the "" and you'll bring up a couple of decent old posts!

Your better off just replacing it, if the CEL still comes on then at least you know it isnt a dodgy sensor and could be something more serious!

Its an easy job to change just a little awkward! Gotta remove TMIC and be double jointed etc!