Notices

Help Please...Throttle Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2010, 03:25 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please...Throttle Stuck

Had a little bit of a of a scary one on the way down the road and hopefully someone can throw in a bit of advice, the story goes something like this,

I was driving down the road (dual carriageway) went to overtake and all was going well, as I was passing the revs went through the roof, lifting off the accelerator didn't help either, clutch in and I'm still going until the motor was basically on the limiter, clutch in and still going like hell, the oil pressure shot up of the gauge and the car kept tryin to pull on, braking only slowed me down temporarily obviously looking to go like sin again, the boost was showing as none. So basically all I could do was get pulled over and turn off the ignition. By this stage the smell was stinking of stuff burning!

So anyway pulled over let the car sit and make sure it wasn't on fire thankfully it wasn't, started it up again and revs instantly through the roof! Boost doing nothing and oil pressure rising quite sharply.

This happened every time i started the motor up like the this as if the throttle was stuck or something, I tried to pull the pedal up by hand and the revs fell away but only a wee bit, after a good tug it got back down to almost normal, however when driving and putting the clutch in the revs fell away to zero, right to the bottom of the taco, but it seemed to correct itself and all went well after a couple of miles, unfortunately I then had to over take another motor the same thing happened that the revs went high as if the throttle was stuck and I had to pull the pedal, by hand, up when driving along.

The rest of the journey went along quite well but the motor just didn't feel too healthy, oil pressure seemed ok, boost seemed a little low but almost normal, but any pressure on the throttle and it would almost feel like it was sticking.

I did check it wasn't catching like on the mats or anything obvious which it wasn't and had a look at the throttle in the engine, the spring seemed to be tight and responsive and when opened sprung itself back to closed well, but I'm pretty concerned about it.

So had to take the car home again this morning, started off well, temp rose normally, oil pressure rose normally, everything seemed dead on, got onto the carriage went to overtake another car, boom, same thing happened, it seemed that nearly as soon as any boost went to the car the revs stuck at the position I changed gears so say I shifted at 5500rpm, popped the clutch in, up a gear and clutch out the car would autoomatically accelerate to 5500, if i just put the clutch in the revs would go to 5500...

And that's were I currently stand, I now that's a long post, just wanted to be as thorough as possible...

Cheers and fingers crossed
Old 06 June 2010, 03:50 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Good, descriptive post, although what you haven't told us is the type and model year of the car.

Have you checked whether the spring on the throttle pedal is still extant and in one piece? Beyond that, have you tried pressing the throttle fully open with the engine off? Does it stick or catch at all or feel perfectly normal?

Worth double-checking the return springs on the throttle body itself too.

Hopefully the smell of burning you noted during the first runaway was nothing more than your brakes. If in doubt seek expert help ASAP. With the best will in the world your prior posts suggest that you're not too experienced at the maintenance side of things, and a sticking throttle is not the sort of thing you want to risk driving round with, whether for your own safety or people on the road around you.
Old 06 June 2010, 04:21 PM
TomBoyNI
Scooby Regular

Good, descriptive post, although what you haven't told us is the type and model year of the car.
Ha good point the car is a 1999 UK Turbo 2000

Have you checked whether the spring on the throttle pedal is still extant and in one piece? Beyond that, have you tried pressing the throttle fully open with the engine off? Does it stick or catch at all or feel perfectly normal?
Spring on the pedal seems fine, and testing with the engine off shows everything working as normal.

Worth double-checking the return springs on the throttle body itself too.
The springs on the throttle body seem fine, fully and sharply returning to the closed position when open and released.

Hopefully the smell of burning you noted during the first runaway was nothing more than your brakes. If in doubt seek expert help ASAP. With the best will in the world your prior posts suggest that you're not too experienced at the maintenance side of things, and a sticking throttle is not the sort of thing you want to risk driving round with, whether for your own safety or people on the road around you.
Very correct in all of the above matey, I haven't a clue about engines, other than the most basic things, the point of my posts is not to try and fix it myself, but to try and gain an understanding, so I when go to the garage on Monday I don't get my eye wiped

Thanks for your reply