Notices

One Problem after the other - Boost Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2010, 10:40 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One Problem after the other - Boost Issues

This has been doing my head in all day now... fitted the Gizmo EBC after having problems with over boost using the standard 3 port... set it up and tried loads of different settings and could only get a best of 0.60 bar boost

Final session I went back to a manual boost controller and got it to 0.70bar boost this time (was last session so didnt manage to increase the boost)

Now on the way home, i was thinking, most of the settings i tried with the EBC got me the same final peak boost (around 0.60) now i had settings ranging from proper harsh (that should have over boosted like crazy)

I remember checking all the hose clips are still attached under the bonnet, and nothing was loose, so I cant think why else it would act up :S (only ones i didnt check was on the bottom of the front mount)

No CEL came on, but i put the error plugs together just to check, but there were no errors, so its got me really confused

Will see how i get on with the manual boost controller now that i have relocated it inside the car (its a 3 port one) - just need to check ive plumbed it in right
Old 05 June 2010, 10:48 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How were you trying to set it up, which gear?

Mine, GReddy, was fitted somewhere, fuel cutted all the way home. Boost limit had been set too high.

All cars are different James, you're just going to have to tax and test it, I think, so you can fettle with it.
Old 06 June 2010, 07:39 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Was all pretty much in 3rd and 4th gears. Was doing my head in lol.

Think a dyno day will be cheper then tax + insurance on the WRX
Old 06 June 2010, 08:22 AM
GazJenno
Scooby Regular

Is your car running standard ECU? Any chips/remaps been done? Probably a good idea to get to the bottom of the overboost problem rather than hide it with a EBC. I take it that it didnt used to overboost? So what was fitted/upgraded before the problem started?

I know mine started to overboost when I fitted an V1 STi intercooler and a samco hose, I put that down to the fact it was slightly more free flowing than the standard one. So the fact your front mount may not have been accounted for in the map could cause the problem but dont know why it wouldnt have done it as soon as the IC was fitted? Mine also used to overboost in very hot weather, probably due to the less dense air?

Even saying that though, the electronic boost controller should still do its job I guess so no idea whats going on there.

Gaz
Old 07 June 2010, 10:21 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Managed to find the problem on the Sunday morning, after getting my mate to have a look at the car too he spotted the problem.

The actuator rod had become removed from the gate arm (dunno where the clip had gone) so the gate was just permanently open when it came on boost.

Put the rod back on the gate, fixed with a paper clip and woosh back to full boost again