Notices

fitting VF24 to UK turbo 2000

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2010, 10:17 PM
inertiauk
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting VF24 to UK turbo 2000

I have a 1997 UK turbo 2000, with a few mods, and my turbo is on its way out, burning oil and creating blue smoke. I picked up a good condition VF24 cheap, and I read it spools a bit sooner, generaly has less lag and is a good upgrade on my TD04 (currently run at 1bar).

Will I notice the differance?
will it run safe on my car so long as I keep the boost low (standard ECU and injectors, straight through pipe, electronic boost controller)?

I wanted to buy a gasket kit before fitting it. I found one on ebay but its nerly £45 with all bits of pipe etc do I really need all that ? is there a supplier in the UK (pref north west) who stock them ?

Cheers.
Old 04 June 2010, 10:49 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are upgrading to VF24 you will defo need a remap. With a remap you will no doubt notice the response over the tdo4. The Subaru gaskets are good enough to use again however Importcarparts stock genuine items.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:15 PM
inertiauk
Scooby Newbie

Based on the fact that the car doesnt control the boost, my EBC does, and the standard ECU uses a MAF to sense the air going in and choose the correct fuel to pump in, would i really need a remap ?
Old 04 June 2010, 11:16 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by inertiauk
I have a 1997 UK turbo 2000, with a few mods, and my turbo is on its way out, burning oil and creating blue smoke. I picked up a good condition VF24 cheap, and I read it spools a bit sooner, generaly has less lag and is a good upgrade on my TD04 (currently run at 1bar).
You've read some complete b*ll*cks, sorry. The VF24 spools slower and later and is laggier than the TD04, but does have better ultimate power generation potential.

Will I notice the differance?
If you just drop it in without having the car properly mapped, it's anyone's guess what will happen. The likeliest outcome is that it'll run poorly, or dangerously. The chances of it being any quicker than with the old turbo are minimal to non-existent.

will it run safe on my car so long as I keep the boost low (standard ECU and injectors, straight through pipe, electronic boost controller)?
It will run safe if you turn the boost right down. The trouble is you will then be left with a laggy, gutless car that will be slower than before you started playing with it.

You've bought a bit of a quandary here. The turbo is certainly not what you described it as in your opening paragraph and the only way you will be able to get the best out of it is to have the engine mapped properly - which you can't do on a 97MY car without further expenditure on a third party ECU. Even in that case you would probably need to make further supporting mods to the car to get it to where it should be.

To be honest if your intent is to replace a broken turbo at minimal expense, the best way forward for you may be to put the VF24 purchase down to experience, flog it, and buy a drop-in replacement TD04.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Based on the fact that the car doesnt control the boost, my EBC does, and the standard ECU uses a MAF to sense the air going in and choose the correct fuel to pump in, would i really need a remap ?
The short answer is yes. The long answer has been covered elsewhere before so Search would be a good click.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:20 PM
inertiauk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Splitpin
You've read some complete b*ll*cks, sorry. The VF24 spools slower and later and is laggier than the TD04, but does have better ultimate power generation potential.

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...urbo-info.html

VF24
This turbo shares its compressor housing with the VF23 however, this housing is mated with a smaller (P18) exhaust side. The smaller characteristics of this turbo allow it to provide ample bottom end power and quick spool. This turbo is very popular for Imprezas with automatic transmissions and Group N rally cars.

This can be read on many threads on this forum. If you research people are saying it reaches its maximum boost very low compared to other turbo's.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:20 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

you cant call a vf24 laggy - lol

you might need injectors - 440s and you will need a remap

Trending Topics

Old 04 June 2010, 11:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

This can be read on many threads on this forum. If you research people are saying it reaches its maximum boost very low compared to other turbo's.
Yes, and? It may be more responsive than some turbos, but as I said earlier it is laggier, spools later and less responsive than a TD04, which is the one you have in your car at the moment and therefore the point of comparison. You should do some more research; try this.

Originally Posted by stedee
you cant call a vf24 laggy - lol
I can call it laggier than a TD04, because it is.

Last edited by Splitpin; 04 June 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:39 PM
inertiauk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Yes, and? It may be more responsive than some turbos, but as I said earlier it is laggier, spools later and less responsive than a TD04, which is the one you have in your car at the moment and therefore the point of comparison. You should do some more research; try this.

I can call it laggier than a TD04, because it is.

Granted my TD04 is dieing, seals are gone and it isnt performing as it should.

however Googling about I keep reading claims that the VF24 hits full boost at 3,000RPM, sometimes sooner. My TD04 in its current condition isnt at full boost until 4,000rpm.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:47 PM
bmfcrash
Scooby Regular

Listen to what Splitpin and the others are telling you, you ask for help they give it, and then you argue as you do not hear what you wanted to.

Fit it on and run it with you current setup, then come back and post the ' I need a rebuld my engine has blown' thread !!
Old 04 June 2010, 11:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Granted my TD04 is dieing, seals are gone and it isnt performing as it should.
You can replace it like for like for very little money. If you're not prepared to have the car mapped properly for the bigger turbo, like for like will give you a better outcome than the route you're proposing.

however Googling about I keep reading claims that the VF24 hits full boost at 3,000RPM, sometimes sooner. My TD04 in its current condition isnt at full boost until 4,000rpm.
How much of that is down to the turbo and how much due to your use of an external boost controller? As above the way you are going to get a solution you can trust replacing a failed or failing turbo is either via direct like for like replacement, or mapping plus support mods to make the most of the bigger one.

Using an electronic boost controller to try and force a large turbo to mimic the performance of a smaller one in order to maintain a safe performance envelope will result in the worst of both worlds - the power strictures of the tiddler plus the poorer response of the big one - kinda like twin sequential turbo, but backwards. Until of course you get p*ss*d off with driving the car like that, decide to turn the boost up and ping a piston. Still, it's your car.

Last edited by Splitpin; 04 June 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:11 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your td04 is not hitting full boost till 4000rpm then its shagged,or your setting on your boost controller is wrong ,read any post on any subaru forum and you wont see a td04 performing like that.I have sold 2 tdo4's(1 a brand new one) in the last 12 months and both started hitting boost between 2200/2400 rpm,so you do have a problem.Bearing in mind the info you have been given above;would not the easiest and safest thing to do would have been to buy another td04,bolt it on and away you go.
I upgraded my td04 to a vf28, and when iput this turbo alongside the td04 i took off and compared the sizes ,there was no way i was prepaired to just bolt it on without a remap.If i had done the car would probably have run ,but for how long and at what expense.

Last edited by midnight; 05 June 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:47 AM
inertiauk
Scooby Newbie

I havent told anyone here they are wrong, just pointed to where I got my information, and the conflicts Im reading in different places that is all.

Im not disrespecting anyones opinion, and I value everyones input, and at the same time I take everythign i hear and read as possible BS whcih is why I came on here asking.

My current TD04 behaves on the boost controller exactly how it did on the stock solenoid, only with a little more boost wehn I want it. Yes it starts to spool at around 2,400 rpm, but it doesnt hit full boost until 4000rpm. the claims I read on the net were that the VF24 hits full boost around 3,000 rpm.

I appreciate supporting mods are required. I appreciate a correctly operating TD04 could hit full boost before a VF24 would, but mine is just shagged.

im sure my EBC isnt to blame though becuase the timing of how the power comes in hasnt changed since I fitted it.

I cant justify spending £1000+ on a mapable ECU and labour to map this £2000 car, because it will still be just a £2000 car. So it seems from what I have learnt I should sell the VF24 (which i could sell for more than I paid for it) and buy a TD04 in good condition, maybe a refurb.
Old 05 June 2010, 01:06 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see your point when it comes to spending 1k on a 2k car,however if you sell the vf24 you should get £250/300 depending on condition and thats plenty for you to get a good td04,i sold a brand new one which had only covered 600 miles in feb this year for£160 so look around and get a good used one imho.
Old 05 June 2010, 02:53 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I havent told anyone here they are wrong, just pointed to where I got my information, and the conflicts Im reading in different places that is all.
You prior posts, #6 in particular, seemed to have a bit of attitude implied in it, especially the "if you research..." comment - although of course I acknowledge that intent and emotion can often get lost when words are on the page which is why I moved on without commenting at the time. Anyway...

Yes it starts to spool at around 2,400 rpm, but it doesnt hit full boost until 4000rpm. the claims I read on the net were that the VF24 hits full boost around 3,000 rpm.
The claims you've read" are a bit optimistic for a VF24 while the boost response of your current unit is, as you know, well out of the ballpark. Although while you say the turbo's on its last legs (and well it may be), are you sure there aren't any other contributory factors - modifications carried out by a previous owner, or that boost controller, for example? A really easy way to ruin the spool and response in exactly this way would be to bolt a set of cheap and nasty eBay exhaust manifolds (or large bore aftermarket up-pipe) on, for example.

Similarly have you ruled out leaks, either in the exhaust system, y-pipe or dumpvalve?

im sure my EBC isnt to blame though becuase the timing of how the power comes in hasnt changed since I fitted it.
Without knowing what you have and how it can be adjusted it's impossible to comment in detail, but have you tried raising the permitted duty cycle at lower engine speeds?

So it seems from what I have learnt I should sell the VF24 (which i could sell for more than I paid for it) and buy a TD04 in good condition, maybe a refurb.
Correct, which is where we were a while back. I wouldn't bother paying over the odds for a refurbished unit when you can get one off a relatively recent newage car for £not much in the usual places.