Notices

good turbo choice......

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2010, 05:23 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good turbo choice......

ive asked a few questions on here about possible turbo issues on my 2005 WRX and i cant find anything else but a turbo issue so now i have the choice....do i just replace for the same or do i go with something that will give me more power??

any ideas....

ATM i have front mount intercooler, STI injectors, and i know i will need another remap if i do go with a different one so whats good for over 300bhp with out straining the motor??
Old 29 May 2010, 05:35 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Your post reads a little confusingly, especially when read in context with the "identify my turbo". thread you've got going on General.

If you have a 2005 WRX, is this a UK model? If so, it's clear you already have a non-standard turbo, and also that you don't at the moment know exactly what it is. It will therefore be impossible for you to "replace with the same", even if you wanted to.

When you say you have a "turbo issue", what exactly do you think this issue is? Reading between the lines, is it possible that the issue is that you have a non-standard turbo that hasn't been properly mapped, rather than that it's knackered?

It would be easier for us to help you if it was a little clearer what exactly you were asking. As things stand if you want a turbo to take you over 300bhp, that thing you've got looks from the pic like a VF28-29-30-31, maybe an early VF34 or 35. All of those have the potential to go over 300 - so the first thing you need to do is look carefully on the ID plate on the compressor cover for any signs of identification.
Old 29 May 2010, 05:40 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Your post reads a little confusingly, especially when read in context with the "identify my turbo". thread you've got going on General.

If you have a 2005 WRX, is this a UK model? If so, it's clear you already have a non-standard turbo, and also that you don't at the moment know exactly what it is. It will therefore be impossible for you to "replace with the same", even if you wanted to.

When you say you have a "turbo issue", what exactly do you think this issue is? Reading between the lines, is it possible that the issue is that you have a non-standard turbo that hasn't been properly mapped, rather than that it's knackered?

It would be easier for us to help you if it was a little clearer what exactly you were asking. As things stand if you want a turbo to take you over 300bhp, that thing you've got looks from the pic like a VF28-29-30-31, maybe an early VF34 or 35. All of those have the potential to go over 300 - so the first thing you need to do is look carefully on the ID plate on the compressor cover for any signs of identification.
Hi, i also had the thread of clutch or turbo.....basically i was driving last night and just lost boost, I removed the air pipe on the actuator and it drives exactly the same, i have had it remapped 2 weeks ago so its not that, on the id tag it just says RFH5 so i presume that seeing as the other bits installed by the previous owner was from an sti the turbo was aswell.

i dont mind getting her remapped again and any info on anything else it can be would help so any ideas??
Old 29 May 2010, 05:53 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Have you eliminated leaks elsewhere in the exhaust or induction system - for example a broken dumpvalve, split (or blown off) y-pipe, so-on and so-forth?

The bottom line is that you are going to need that turbo looked at by someone who knows what they're seeing in order both to work out what it is, and, if you can't find an explanation elsewhere, what's wrong with it. The quality of any assistance we can provide is limited on the basis of current info.
Old 29 May 2010, 06:26 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

ive checked the pipes etc, the dump valve still hisses under pressure and sounds the same,

i didnt hear a pop or get any smoke , im at a loss with all this
Old 29 May 2010, 06:55 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it still have the cat in the up-pipe?? If it has it might have collapsed causing a blockage which in turn will give you less power, as well as sending bits of cat into the turbo.
Old 29 May 2010, 06:57 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

nope all been decatted.

i cant see it being an air issue as like i said in my other thread when i take the small black pipe off the actuator it runs exactly the same??

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2010, 07:49 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 15 window delux
nope all been decatted.

i cant see it being an air issue as like i said in my other thread when i take the small black pipe off the actuator it runs exactly the same??
There's some slightly mixed up logic (or contra-indicative evidence) here. On the one hand you say that you've got a turbo issue that sounds like "no boost", and to demonstrate the point you say that it doesn't make any difference if you take the boost control pipe off the actuator.

However, you then say that

ive checked the pipes etc, the dump valve still hisses under pressure and sounds the same,
If your turbo isn't generating any boost, then what pressure is there making your dumpvalve hiss? Do you have a standard DV or an aftermarket one by the way? If the latter, what is it?
Old 29 May 2010, 07:56 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
There's some slightly mixed up logic (or contra-indicative evidence) here. On the one hand you say that you've got a turbo issue that sounds like "no boost", and to demonstrate the point you say that it doesn't make any difference if you take the boost control pipe off the actuator.

However, you then say that

If your turbo isn't generating any boost, then what pressure is there making your dumpvalve hiss? Do you have a standard DV or an aftermarket one by the way? If the latter, what is it?
I have an aftermarket DV....

basically i was driving last night and all was good til about 90 when i was crusing, I stopped at a roundabout pulled off and noticed hardly any, if any boost. The DV hisses, but i cant hear the turbo whine.

I was told to take the pipe off and see how she ran and its exactly the same with or without the pipe so to me that reads as whether the turbo is plugged in or not so to speak its the same therefor ethe turbo isnt doing its job?? am i wrong??
Old 29 May 2010, 08:11 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

What type and make is the aftermarket DV?

Whoever told you to take the actuator pipe off as a first diagnostic step was a bit silly. Doing that has the potential to cause very serious overboost if the problem's intermittent and clears up by itself.

And yes your logic's a bit wrong. If the DV is hissing, that implies there's air coming out of it. It won't hiss unless it's open, and it shouldn't be open unless pulled open by manifold vacuum on lift-off.

Ergo, if you can hear it hissing at idle, it's open when it shouldn't be, and if it's open when it shouldn't be, that means it's probably dumping out air all the time - which means it won't spool.

Take your dumpvalve off and see if it's stuck open.
Old 29 May 2010, 08:21 PM
15 window delux
Scooby Regular

there is no constant air flow through the DV, only hisses when i let the throttle up, the DV is a bailey motor sport one and moves freely
Old 29 May 2010, 08:55 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your car to someone that knows what they are doing.
It might get your car back to working for very little expense and quickly or atleast an accurate diagnosis.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:14 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by harvey
Take your car to someone that knows what they are doing.
It might get your car back to working for very little expense and quickly or atleast an accurate diagnosis.
Ditto ..

We had one in today, he'd been all over, tried this and that, spent loads.
I sussed it inside a half hour. It's not an idle boast, it just happens to be what we do all day, the same as any other professional.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:40 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

15 Window - your dumpvalve should not be hissing "when you let the throttle up", only when you lift off.

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Ditto ..

We had one in today, he'd been all over, tried this and that, spent loads.
I sussed it inside a half hour. It's not an idle boast, it just happens to be what we do all day, the same as any other professional.
Ditto, see #4. The fundamental problem on here is that we can't see the car and are totally reliant on whatever the user does (or doesn't) say. In this case it's impossible to work out what's going on here - professional help is liable to be the quickest fix.
Old 29 May 2010, 09:54 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Been reading this and a couple of things come over.
1. I think there is a terminology clash "Lift Off" and " let throttle up", same thing??

2. As said the DV hisses so to me that says the DV is not getting the full Vacuum from the inlet manifold. This points to a leaking pipe to the DV which on boost is letting all the air out and is allowing air to seep in on closing the throttle. This will probably not easily visible to the eye.

Last edited by 360ste; 29 May 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Vodka spelling.