Notices

hello & tuning advice please :)

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2010, 01:05 PM
thing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hello & tuning advice please :)

Hello folks,

Been running around in my 2002 sti type uk ppp for about 3 months now and as usual I have decided it is time for more power

I am looking at the ScoobyWorld Stage 1 Performance Pack (http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1505) and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on this if they had it done .... or any alternative ways to get a similar power increase with driveability.

Ta - Tim
Old 28 May 2010, 07:37 AM
thing
Scooby Regular

Question Scoobie newbie needs expert advice :)

bttt

Hello again - I am new to scoobies so would really like the advice of the experts I have owned and built a few turbo cars over the years R5GTT (220bhp) R5GTT (280bhp full race car) Sapphire 4x4 (404bhp) MR2 Turbo (330bhp) so am familiar with the general principals but really want to make sure I go down the right path with the scoobie ... I am lookig for a start here and will undoubtedly look for further upgrades as time passes by

Thanks once again - Tim.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:20 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

De cat, panel filter, walbro fuel pump and a remap for staters pal. Should see a good gain from that. Onwards and upwards from there. Welcome to the site by the way. There are several filters to get most people go for the green or k&n. Try jollygreenmonster.co.uk for your remap or try message through the site.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:25 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mate plenty of info around for u, below is a copy of info that duncan (racedynamix)
has posted on snoc, its got all the info u need. enjoy the read.
cheers tom

Typical Upgrade Path - Newage 2.0 STi
by dynamix » 29 Mar 2010, 09:10

Again, a common question that I get asked about what should be done and what shouldn't etc so I will aim to do these for each significant model type.

2.0 litre STi from 2001 - 2005 ....

In std form they are 265bhp give or take and have boost at about 1.2 bar but this varies according to model. The boost profile in the std map is pretty tame and doesnt come in til 3500rpm assuming the car is std.

so... choices .. (all based on using vpower)

1. Keep the car std but just remap for more oomph and better fuel economy.
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier and hold higher boost levels for longer but the map will be geared to running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically) as it wont be possible to push too much boost with both cats in place. Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and a backbox are fitted at this stage.

With a simple remap on the standard car typically this would get the car to about 290bhp (blob eyes may make slightly more)

2. Sports cat in downpipe - remove centre cat
A full custom remap will bring boost in much earlier due to the lower back pressure and hold much higher boost levels. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter is fitted at this stage (on top of the sports cat downpipe and exhaust system). A walbro 255 fuel pump is essential.

It is also advisable to change to NGK PFR7B spark plugs.

This would get the car to about 320-340bhp but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range.

3. Fully Decat Exhaust
The low back pressure from removing all the cats reveals the true characteristics of the boxer engine. A remap is needed to bring it under control and stop overboosting. The remap will bring boost in as smooth as possible and most likely get full (and higher ) boost at around 3300 rpm (depending on turbo surge point) and hold higher boost right through the rev range. The remap will also aim to get it running much more efficiently ( which is also more economically).
Typically a Green/K&N/Cosworth air filter and possibly a 3 port solenoid are fitted at this stage (on top of the decat downpipe and exhaust system).

This would get the car to about 330-350bhp but I have seen them up to 365bhp on the std turbo but a huge boost in torque figures in the mid range and transform the way the car drives on the road.

A walbro 255 fuel pump is essential.
It is also advisable to change to NGK PFR7B spark plugs.

4. 350bhp - 400bhp

You may be one of the lucky ones and have a car that wants to produce power with the std turbo but if you want to gtee over 350 there are a number of turbo options and rather than list them all here - gimme a shout and see which of the many turbos around could fit your requirements. There are lots of suppliers of turbos and they are changing all the time.

The car's engine and gearbox can cope with this power well.

5. Getting to over 400bhp

The std STi engine has been proven to up to 450bhp but it can be an expensive step going from 350 to 450 so again get lots of advice beforehand and decide whether you really want to chase the big numbers as it becomes a diminishing return for the money outlayed.

Some other info:
- a vent to atmosphere dump valve will not improve the performance but if you must fit one for the sound then stick to a good make - forge have always been good from what I have seen. (Baileys are less so)
- a FMIC is not needed at this stage but can be a good improvement on the STi tmic when above 350 - the sti tmic can support up to 400 ish bhp though for road use.
- an induction kit will most likely not improve performance as the std airbox is very good. If you do want more induction noise then go for a cold air induction kit such as the K&N typhoon where the filter is located away from engine bay heat. It may be that the time you 'need' to change to an induction kit then a FMIC may be being fitted so it would need to be one that works well with your chosen fmic.

Anyway ... hope that is useful.Duncan [RaceDynamix ]
email: duncan@racedynamix.com
tel: 07540 185754
Full Custom Remaps for: All Impreza/Forester 2001-2010 | Classics 92-96 (ESL) | Solaris | Simtek
dynamix
Old 28 May 2010, 11:37 AM
thing
Scooby Regular

Thanks for this chaps I am keen to keep 1 of the cats so it will pass the mot without having to mess around

Does anyone have any specific experience of the scoobyworld setup and service as this seems to tick most of the boxes?

Ta again - Tim
Old 28 May 2010, 11:53 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u have the prodrive sports cat anyway and thats all u will need to pass an mot.

not sure on what the rest of urs system is as the previous owner may have changed it over,best to get underneath and have a look as u may not need to change any of the system, theres plenty of 2nd hand cat back systems for sale on here, best bet it to phone duncan and spk to him as u can get it alot cheaper than scoobyworld by getting live mapping,