Notices

tuning a MY03 WRX PPP to 300bhp

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2010, 11:21 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning a MY03 WRX PPP to 300bhp- TD04 HYBRID OR VF35?

Hi guys, i currentyly have a 2003 WRX PPP plus a prodrive cat, im looking to get 300bhp with a decent pull all the way as this is where my td04 is lacking. its good upto 3rd but once you reach high rpm in third it looses its pull and its the only time it struggles against any decent powered car these days. so im looking to fit a decat up pipe, fuel pump, prodrive 3port and a turbo then a map to suit. my aim is 300 so not stress anything too much. i dont really want to change injectors, so what turbo am i best going for, a vf35 (decent spool an capable of holding decent boost to the redline plus easy an cheap to get) or a andy forrest tdo4 hybrid, not so easy to find second hand may end with a new one, but would this turbo make 300bhp on the planned mods and hold a strong boost all the way as it does low down? which would you all go for to make a decent all round quick car. i do love the way my car picks up an responds and does well against quick cars untill it runs out of puff. sorry to go on i just cant make my mind up and im on a bit of a buget due to new house. many thanks

Jack

Last edited by techno_brat; 27 May 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 27 May 2010, 12:07 AM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

jack, you are thinks along the correct lines with your mods, i would also go for some sti pinks, as you said a decat up-pipe, a second decat pipe (goes after downpipe) not sure if there on wrxppp, and for a cheap turbo with good punch how about a tdo5 16g with the front entry conversion will easily make 300bhp and a fair bit more if you needed
Old 27 May 2010, 08:28 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

yeah ive already got that with the ppp, im tryin to avoid the pinks at the mo because i want to keep it simple. im sure ive seen people on here make 300 ok with the std injectors. i want a turbo that spools quick but pulls well all the way throught the revs, i know the vf35 is good for what i want but not sure about the spool as i really like my td04. but im not sure if the hybrid will make 300 on my setup without headers etc and does it pull strong to the redline unlike the standard td04, any one done the smae as i want?
Old 27 May 2010, 09:55 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

I can happily vouch for the VF35 on my blob eye STI8 PPP. Car makes ~330Bhp and pulls hard all the way to the red line at 7600rpm. Turbo starts coming on song around 2500 and really starting to pull at 3000. Been told by most tuners that I'd struggle to find a single scroll turbo that spools any earlier but maintains as much boost at the top end. Think I've been spoiled with the 35!

If I can find someone with a second hand MD321H going then I'd happily sell you my VF35 for £300
Old 27 May 2010, 10:39 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Smile

yeah i do like the turbo on my dads sti with a wr1 ecu on it, just keeps pulling! lol your planning some more fun then- good on ya! hmmm what sort of mileage is the turbo and where abouts are you based?
Old 27 May 2010, 10:51 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by techno_brat
yeah ive already got that with the ppp, im tryin to avoid the pinks at the mo because i want to keep it simple. im sure ive seen people on here make 300 ok with the std injectors. i want a turbo that spools quick but pulls well all the way throught the revs, i know the vf35 is good for what i want but not sure about the spool as i really like my td04. but im not sure if the hybrid will make 300 on my setup without headers etc and does it pull strong to the redline unlike the standard td04, any one done the smae as i want?
VF35 plus pink injectors, you will start to max out the injectors at the levels you are talking about (from what Ive read), and Pinks will ensure you dont run lean. A worthwhile investment and safeguard.
Old 27 May 2010, 11:16 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

would they make that figur though? and how safe is it to drive the car with bigger injectors, only i would have to drive a fair way to get my remap done?
Old 27 May 2010, 11:28 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Who are you getting the remap done by? Andrew Carr and Dynamix both travel, if my memory serves me right. Why do you want the 300 and not more, it sort of drops squarely between the max a TD04 will do and the lower end of a VF35.(seems a shame to get the 300 and then have to pay out for a tweak to get what you REALLY wanted but didnt know yet!)
320/300ish wont stress things too much, as bodski said elsewhere, going up to 340+ torques will see the beginning of the end of a box(classic, not sure on a newage)
Old 27 May 2010, 12:07 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

well i'll will prob use JGM, im in bedfordshire. well i was aiming for 300 as a nice round figure, its more the delivery i want i.e good boost held all the way which the td04 isnt capable of. i would be happy with that being a good power and reliability. i know theres the well you can always go more and that would be nice but i'll just move to a sti at a later date. im not a bhp chaser, i like the power in mine, if i cpuld get it to hold it all the way with a 3port and remap i would but the turbo is useless for it, so would a hybrid be better? will it make 300ish but more importantly does it sustain it instead of dropping off?
Old 27 May 2010, 12:11 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

just to add i have spoken to a couple mappers and i can get the sort of power an delivery i want from a vf35 in a low state of tune, and there easier to get than a td04 hybrid, but im sure people on here have done what i want- just cant find them lol
Old 27 May 2010, 03:06 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

BUMP
Old 27 May 2010, 03:10 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

just to add i have spoken to a couple mappers and i can get the sort of power an delivery i want from a vf35 in a low state of tune, and there easier to get than a td04 hybrid, but im sure people on here have done what i want- just cant find them lol
I have all the kit to fit a VF35 but I plan to wring as much as I can out of it! Not really that much but 320-330bhp.
Old 27 May 2010, 03:31 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

what mods and bits have you put together?
Old 27 May 2010, 03:46 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

what mods and bits have you put together?
I have a VF35 (wastegate ported to avoid boost creep), STI pinks, STI TMIC, STI scoop and undertray, de-cat up-pipe, Prodrive sportcat, Prodrive second cat delete, de-resonated centre pipe(makes no odds to the power really), AFterburner Vortex BB.

Also, to be fitted while Im doing all that are PFR7B sparkies(run cooler, Im told), SAMCO hoses(the one between the turbo and the Airbox I think, looks lioke an extreme sex toy!).

I think thats it.
Old 27 May 2010, 08:28 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

yeah i do like the turbo on my dads sti with a wr1 ecu on it, just keeps pulling! lol your planning some more fun then- good on ya! hmmm what sort of mileage is the turbo and where abouts are you based?
Turbo has done 60k with full servicing. Never any issues. Just had my first ever remap by Duncan at Racing Dynamix on Tuesday. Most helpful mapper I've encountered yet! Before that it was PPP. I'm based in Berkshire about 1 minutes drive from Subaru4You.

Just waiting to hear back from Andy Forrest Not found any 2nd hand 321H's so might go for an AFP instead.
Old 27 May 2010, 08:35 PM
etxp85
Scooby Regular

Your probably not far off 300 already with the PPP. i would recommend scoobyclinics new billet turbo, the SC36. my hawkeye is running 340 with this turbo. other mods are 3inch turbo back exhaust, wlbro pump, induction kit with samco hose all the way to the turbo. thts it as far as the engine is concerned. torque is 360.

the car is un real on the road, once you get over 3000rpm pulls all the way to the limiter, although i dont go near the limiter.

the turbo costs 750 +vat at the mo. but this is an introductory price so it will increase.

hope ive been of assistance
Old 27 May 2010, 08:37 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aXeL
Turbo has done 60k with full servicing. Never any issues. Just had my first ever remap by Duncan at Racing Dynamix on Tuesday. Most helpful mapper I've encountered yet! Before that it was PPP. I'm based in Berkshire about 1 minutes drive from Subaru4You.

Just waiting to hear back from Andy Forrest Not found any 2nd hand 321H's so might go for an AFP instead.
Ah .. just put two and two together

My pleasure Andrew and thank you for your kind words
Old 28 May 2010, 12:57 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

your not actually that far from me then axel. you all have some nice kit. i feel the 300 mark will be the best all round figure for me and the car, clutch etc. unless i see a second hand hybrid pop up looks like it will be the vf35, as good as the hybrid is i think the vf35 will give the delivery im after. after speaking to a few mappers they say its possibe but will be holding the turbo back to not max injectors but im unsure if it will make 300. does anyone know what figures have been made on the 380cc injectors? Duncam where abouts are you based? what do you think on the matter?
Old 28 May 2010, 07:03 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Yours has 420cc injectors. 300 is possible on those with a VF35 with a not fully pushed map, but really I would say it is best to pop some 550's in there as you can pick them up for £150 ish and run the vf35 at its potential.

I am based in cambridgeshire but travel.
Old 28 May 2010, 11:21 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a guy breaking an sti in the sales section, dont know if hes still got the vf35.pinks left
Old 28 May 2010, 01:06 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

OK, you can definitely have my VF35 if you want it, I'm going to order an AFP05-20G because I'm an impulse buyer and I just cleared my credit card after 5 years

Cue Duncan....
Old 28 May 2010, 07:26 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

lol i would say oh dear axel but well done! ha ha. well i need a bit more time to get money together so i can do it in one go, i thought ecutek was the only proper way to map it but have been looking at your service duncan and its a more realistic price and you do come quite recomended, unfortunately i too have been brain washed by the whole "ecutek is the one" ive read a few interesting threads about the two lol! it all seems fine to me but can you help me aka shead some light on your mapping compared to ecutek? and would you travel to bedfordshire?
Old 28 May 2010, 07:28 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
theres a guy breaking an sti in the sales section, dont know if hes still got the vf35.pinks left

cheers tom i will have a look
Old 28 May 2010, 11:38 PM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

If you like, I'll port my old pro-drive up-pipe and you can have it as part of the deal!

I was in Subaru4You today asking them to sell me stuff... No idea what just STUFFFF! (Yes I actually said that to them!) Consequently they're now looking for a good 400hp+ induction kit to go with the new turbo...

BTW when you get new injectors, you may wish to get them flowed for higher cc. Costs about £150. Not essential but an easy bit of future proofing before you get them fitted and I gather and Lateral Performance can do it. (Yet another gem of advice from Race Dynamix! I'm building a small shrine in my car to Duncan.... who'll probably read this while contemplating a restraining order)
Old 28 May 2010, 11:51 PM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

how comes your changing your up-pipe?

ha ha i like your shopping technic! sounds like youve got some fun comming up. i take it you rate duncan then lol, turns out a friend of a friend had his gb270 done by duncan and loves the car now. Duncan if your reading do you also have the delta dash(i think thats it) to do a on road power run to know what figure its running after mapping?
Old 29 May 2010, 12:23 AM
aXeL
Scooby Regular

I've already changed my up-pipe for a ported venturi version which accelerates the exhaust flow into the turbo, promoting earlier spool.
Old 29 May 2010, 07:05 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

how comes your changing your up-pipe?

ha ha i like your shopping technic! sounds like youve got some fun comming up. i take it you rate duncan then lol, turns out a friend of a friend had his gb270 done by duncan and loves the car now. Duncan if your reading do you also have the delta dash(i think thats it) to do a on road power run to know what figure its running after mapping?
Hi. I dont use delta dash anymore for road power runs as I have found them pretty dubious in terms of accurate results unless:

- you have a 100% flat road
- that road is 100% wind free
- you know the precise weight of the car (inc driver, passenger and misc bits ..)

then factor in guesses of drivetrain losses and try and factor these possibly wrong figures back to a flywheel figures and you can end up in some very strange results. It is a shame as they are measuring the real world performance of the car.

I have software that does a similar thing and produce power figures if you need them. You can get a good indication of power from the data received about airflow and knowledge of fuel ratios but I dont subscribe to the highest peak power is the best school of thought. It is the shape of the curve and how the car drives that is the most important thing. Your friend with the GB270 is a prime example, I doubt whether the remap on his generated much in the way of increased peak power (as the turbo just cant do much more on the 2.5 wrx) but yet the car is much quicker and feels it right trough the revs.

Happy to map on a dyno though if you need/want dyno figures. I hire the dyno off Zen regularly to do just that and enjoy mapping on the rollers.

Axel ... 20G mmm should be good
Old 29 May 2010, 08:37 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aXeL
I've already changed my up-pipe for a ported venturi version which accelerates the exhaust flow into the turbo, promoting earlier spool.
oh right fair enough, hmmm well the up-pipe an turbo seems a decent deal, i'll have a look an let ya know

duncan- oh right i see, i didnt know that. tbh im not too concerned about figures, would be nice to know its 300is (the occasional pub talk lol) but as you say its the decent flat torqure upto the redline i want for a hard pull all the way. (no rude jokes please lol) i like the idea of a road map, beacause thats where its bein used and to your own driving conditions etc. what would be you cost for a remap to come to me?
Old 29 May 2010, 09:09 AM
techno_brat
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=dynamix;9422007]
I have software that does a similar thing and produce power figures if you need them. You can get a good indication of power from the data received about airflow and knowledge of fuel ratios but I dont subscribe to the highest peak power is the best school of thought. It is the shape of the curve and how the car drives that is the most important thing. Your friend with the GB270 is a prime example, I doubt whether the remap on his generated much in the way of increased peak power (as the turbo just cant do much more on the 2.5 wrx) but yet the car is much quicker and feels it right trough the revs.
QUOTE]

what sort of torque would you expect to see on mine?
Old 29 May 2010, 09:14 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

You should be looking at 280 ish but depends on what other mods and how far you want me to push the turbo. (also depends on which rollers you measure it on) Suffice to say there will be more than enough torque to improve the driveability as you requested.

Quick Reply: tuning a MY03 WRX PPP to 300bhp