Notices

Error code 12, 23, 45

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2010, 09:07 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error code 23

Been having a problem with the my97 cutting out over the last month or so (search my user name to see) anyway tonight it finely gave me some error codes ,CEL light came on. Code 12 Starter switch , Code 23 Mass air flow sensor and Code 45 Pressure sensor / Pressure exchange solenoid valve , My Question is now how do i change them , Code 23 is the maf unit which is a straight swop over when i can get it but what about the other codes where are they , also is it safe to drive the car until i can get the new maf unit .Thanks in advance

Last edited by drfeelgood; 22 May 2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 23 May 2010, 09:43 AM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Just because there are codes for particular sensors does NOT mean they are at fault. Personally I'd clear them all out run the car again see if they all come back or just some, the go from there. You'll need to inspect wiring and connectors for the relevent sensors and bear it in mind that codes can be linked together
Old 23 May 2010, 04:39 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice.
Old 23 May 2010, 05:14 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

The advice above is good. A question for you Dr: Are you saying that you had no CEL one day and then it came on, and when you checked with the black plugs, it had all of those errors stored?

Or, putting it another way, have you tried connecting the black plugs anytime prior to the past couple of days? If you did, did you get the all clear, or were there fault codes stored on the previous occasions, or is this the first time you've connected the plugs?

R1c is spot on in saying that the presence of the error codes does not automatically mean that the items concerned are at fault. In some cases wiring shorts or breaks will cause them. What none of us reading your post obviously knows is whether those codes have been triggered in the last 24 hours, or the last 24 days (etc).

Running the ECU reset sequence (the green plugs + black plugs) is a good first move as this will run an active error check before giving you the all clear. If it won't give you the all clear, then you have a current, ongoing error that needs to be got to the bottom of.
Old 23 May 2010, 07:58 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads
When my problem started about 6 or 8 weeks ago ( Cutting out ), i did a ecu reset to see if it would get back to normal ( not cutting out ) so would of thought the error codes from any previous faults would of cleared , then last night on my way home , the car died and then got the CEL on , starts first time as always but kept on trying to die when i let the clutch out , got home and did the black plug checks and come up with the error codes , hope this help a bit more .
Old 04 June 2010, 06:25 PM
drfeelgood
Scooby Regular

I think its all sorted now , touch wood. Put a second hand MAF on at £56, bit of a snip considering subaru are charging £430 , and have a brand new pipercroos induction kit fitting instead of a dodgy k&N induction kit which was on it, also had the bailey dump valve taken off and the original reciculating valve put back on , runs like a dream again now.