fuel pump and spark plugs question

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2010, 11:43 AM
paul_oc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump and spark plugs question

Hi guys,

I posted the other day about upgrades to my pretty standard wrx (ppp and piper induction only) i'm going to lose the cats and get a straight thru exhaust...

I was wondering about the fuel pump- whats the idea of the walbro 255 - is it to supply more fuel or just make sure the the fuel flow is more consistent?
Does this make the car much more thirsty?

Also does upgrading to NGK PFR 7B plugs really make a difference? Will i need to get the car remapped for the plugs and new pump? or will the existing ppp generic one do the job?

cheers,

Paul
Old 15 May 2010, 02:56 PM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High power levels require more fuel into the engine, and the standard fuel pump can't cope very well with the demand. The walbro pump allows the engine to demand more fuel. The amount of fuel demanded is determined by the map, so in the absence of a remap it won't make any difference to fuel flow or consumption, but the new pump gives the mapper more to play with. Changing the exhaust would suggest a remap, but in the absence of any other mods the standard pump and plugs should be fine. If you're looking to upgrade the turbo the pump needs changing, the plugs are less important