Notices

Whats this then?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 02:34 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats this then?

Thought i would have a nosey at the ECU, and discovered these two cables coming from it to the other side of the dash, where there are two old screw holes that may be linked .

The cables are disconnected and there is a grey earth cables with them too.

Its a september 1998 Import STI (V5 or V4????)

Old 14 May 2010, 03:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You have a version 5 (99MY) car from those pictures, the ECU looks like an AF041 from what we can see of the label.

Can't tell you for certain what the wires might have been doing as I can't see clearly enough from the pics which ones they've been spliced onto. Can you do a close-up of the joints or at least tell us the wire colour codes, or which plug and position they're entering the ECU at?
Old 14 May 2010, 04:07 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Ok mate cheers, i'll get some more photos/figure out the colour

do turbo timers connect to the ecu?
Old 14 May 2010, 07:35 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

IS this any clearer?
cheers Phil
Old 14 May 2010, 08:46 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It's a bit better but still far from clear. The upper brown wire, that's clamped onto the orange/white/silver flecked wire. That looks like it's going into the middle of the second row of B135 (the middle plug)...? If so it's likely to be going to pin 14, which is the engine speed output waveform that drives the revcounter, and as such the box at the other end of those wires was probably a shiftlight or similar.

If you can't get a tidy enough photo, just tell us which plug and where the intercepted wires are going into the ECU connector (i.e. grey plug, second row down, 3rd in from the left etc.) and all will be revealed.
Old 14 May 2010, 09:12 PM
stiv3ph1l
Scooby Newbie

Thanks mate! I will find out the colour and pin location of the other wire when its light again, and also confirm the first one you have kindly pointed out.
I am slightly worried now why the jap owner felt the need to know when he/she was hitting the red line!
Old 14 May 2010, 09:17 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

I'm not 100% certain where that top wire's going so check that one too. It might be going to the read memory switch - that's in a similar area of the connector too. As above once you can say exactly which positions in the connector the wires are entering then there will be no guesswork.

If it was connected to a shift light, it doesn't necessarily mean it was redlined all the time. There's no point worrying about it, one way or t'other. Whatever it was, it's clearly doing nothing now.