Notices

STi PPP not making claimed power

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2010, 10:53 AM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi PPP not making claimed power

Hey guys, just after some exprienced thought really.

Took my car to scoobyworld to get my BC Racing coilovers, strut brace, and a few bits and bobs, decided to change the prodrive box for a meatier Ninja 2 box while I was there.

I got it up on the rolling road and although I was expecting close to 300ish bhp, I was a bit dissapointed to find I only had 285bhp and about 280ft lb torque. Now going through the search archives it seems PPP's don't always make said figures, but this did seem a bit low to me? On the road the car is quick enough, my mate's 350Z with 275bhp is certainly not as quick and even he was surprised by the printout as we both thought I had a strong example.

Anyway, the lads there told me that if I got a K&N Apollo induction kit and remapped it, from 285 I'd be looking at a healthy 300-310bhp, but after using the search facility on here, I'm not so sure- theres some conflicting opinions on the Apollo kits. My last 2 cars had induction kits and aside from noise I really didn't feel much performance advantages at all, and I'm reluctant to put one on the scoob.

Also, I want to keep it MOT friendly, so I don't really want to de-cat it either. But, I DO want to see at least a genuine 300/300 or above on my 02 STi ppp, so baring in mind the above, what is the best way to go about doing this sensibly? Would a simple re-map by a seasoned pro be sufficient, or will I have to do other mods as well given the 15bhp deficit I have?

I'm not chasing big power or anything as the car is a sensible daily driver, but I'd be happier knowing it was making at least book figures (or a little more)

Advice appreciated guys, thanks.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:00 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No big surprise tbh. Check you have an upgraded fuel pump and that the rest of the PPP has actually been fitted and get it remapped 325/310. Apollo is a bit **** IMHO will see about 5 torques with remap but not much else.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:12 AM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

Thats what I suspected about the Apollo kit- probably makes more sound than anything else, like many other induction kits on standard engines.

So basically once I confirm I've got an uprated fuel pump I should simply get it remapped? If thats all I need to break 300/300 that will be the ideal solution. Thanks mate.

Last edited by Vesuvio; 08 May 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:18 AM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

My old Bugeye STI PPP made similar figures to yours, I wouldn't worry about it.
An induction kit isn't needed at this power level and might even lose power, a decent panel filter such as a Green would be a much better bet and wouldn't require a remap. If you must have an induction kit go for a decent one such as APS or RCM then get it remapped.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:50 AM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Keep the Prodrive bits and bobs (Sportscat, fuel pump), get rid of your induction kit, keep BB, give Jolly Green Monster a call. You will see 330/320 no sweat, likely a bit more. I did same, got 340/330, difference is noticeable.

No need for uprated fuel pump, PPP one is fine.

HTH
dnc
Old 08 May 2010, 11:55 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PPP cars have a few more safety features incorporated into the map than most other remaps, the biggest noticable one is that it will retard the ecu sooner if the inlet temps go higher than a custom map, this is what your seeing, otherwise your car will probably be pushing 305ps on the road, which is where it should be pushing it

Tony
Old 08 May 2010, 11:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If you are keeping the car get an Ecutek done, mine made 340 bhp. with a TSL sports cat and system.

If you don't keep them, get an O.S. map for half the price !

IMHO

dunx

P.S. A new pump is a good "insurance" mod IMHO

Last edited by dunx; 08 May 2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08 May 2010, 11:59 AM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan and DNC,

I don't have an induction kit at the moment, engine is totally standard. Only backbox was changed which doesn't make an ounce of difference. I was advised to fit an induction kit but I don't really want to as I doubt I'll benefit. Perhaps an uprated panal filter might be useful before the remap mind.

DNC- so what you are saying is that with my standard car I'll gain another 50bhp with just the remap from JGM? Are you sure...?! If so thats staggering.. Think I'll send him a PM ASAP

Tony- maybe why, I had no idea the PPP map incorporated those features, really interesting... obvious I take it I'd lose all that with a custom map. Good info mate, thanks.

Dunx- thats good figures, I'd be more than happy with figures anywhere near that tbh.

Last edited by Vesuvio; 08 May 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08 May 2010, 12:15 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

As Tony says (and he is a v knowledgable chap) your car may well be closer to the quoted figure OTR. My figures were from Delta Dash following road mapping with JGM, so 'on the road' real figures (have not put it on RR, though did get an earlier map done on RR and got 330/320 on dyno, not by JGM). The PPP kit is a pretty decent set up if you only want 'moderate' power, but a map tweak is essential to make the most of it. I still have the Prodrive BB which I like, not too noisy but gives a lovely burble. Get a decent panel filter, leave everything else and hand it over to JGM............... Mapping will cost £500-600 IIRC, though any subsequent mapping will be about 1/2 that as it includes software license.

Send Simon (JGM) an email or PM and ask his advice/opinion, he is always willing to give advice, top bloke.

dnc
Edit to add: Dunx recommends getting an upgraded FP and is worth taking his advice (quite cheap) - there was an issue with some Bug FPs. I have a blob, no issues there.

Last edited by dnc; 08 May 2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08 May 2010, 12:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the man with the knowledge

Last post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...on-wrxppp.html

Tony
Old 08 May 2010, 12:52 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
This is the man with the knowledge

Last post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...on-wrxppp.html

Tony
Tony..............you are being modest . Guess MW is the daddy when it comes to Prodrive kit though.

dnc
Old 08 May 2010, 01:38 PM
Vesuvio
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys, some really good stuff there... explains a lot.

So its looking like an upgraded panal filter is the way to go before the remap, but about the upgraded fuel pump- don't I have an upgraded one already, being a PPP? If so surely the issue of fuel pumps on bugeyes isn't valid here as my pump would be better than a regular STi's anyway? Or will it make a good bit of difference if I upgraded to the Walbro 255lph anyway and then get it mapped after that and the panal filter?
Old 08 May 2010, 02:25 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

But the pump could be up to 8 years old now, mine is six years old, but I'm going Bosch next...

dunx
Old 08 May 2010, 10:00 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Another questoin for the op

What fuel were you running it on?

As above the ppp map has many safety features incorporated, it will/could pull timing if poor quality fuel is being used, Hence lower power figuires

Last edited by Turbotits; 08 May 2010 at 10:18 PM.