Notices

STI V4 speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2010, 12:32 PM
banjogt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI V4 speakers

hey guys im replacing my front speakers in my 1997 sti, any how to guides or tips that any one knows of, need to know what i need to take off to get to the speaker!
Old 03 May 2010, 03:55 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

I did this a while ago, I ended up going for 5.25" front speakers as they fit the best and still should allow the front windows to go down fully.

Take the door cards off and remove the existing speaker intact - I used some of the existing plastic mount to fit the new speaker i think.

I installed a component set in the front with the tweeter up next to the door handle and the crossover at the bottom right of the door (looking at the left side, the drivers side one is at the bottom left if you get what I mean)

Trick is to drop the window down first, then you know what clearance you have got to work with.

Also, depending on what speakers you're putting in you might want to consider upgrading the cable; I didn't but its up to you

If you get stuck let me know, I can always take off the door card and take some pics if you need em

I put 6x9's in the rear shelf as well; bit trickier, as the ones I picked were a bit too big but the did fit eventually; had to cut a bit of the metal away though

Cheers

Pete
Old 03 May 2010, 04:01 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

I think from memory, you need to remove the bolt under the door handle / arm rest, then also remove the electric window switch pod (pulls up at the front edge, there is a clip at the front then it should lift up and tilt back, then pull out and unplug) there is a bolt / screw in there iirc. Next remove the plastic plug / bolt thing from the rear edge of the door trim, and then the trim should lift up and unhook from the top edge next to the window