Notices

Help car won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2010, 09:36 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help car won't start!

As above, I assumed that my fuel pump had died. I have just fitted my new walbro and still no luck. I have checked the supply to the connection under the seat, the black and red wire and it's showing 6v. This should be 12v surely? Could it be the fuel cut off switch, if it has one, if do where is it? I have looked at the green relay and I can feel it clicking when I put the ignition on so I guess that's ok.

Any ideas?

The car is 1999 uk turbo
Old 29 April 2010, 09:58 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

When you turn the ignition on, can you hear the fuel pump priming? If you can't, can you hear the fuel pump relay (under the dash) clicking on as you turn the ignition on, and then off a couple of seconds later as it completes priming? If you don't hear the relay clicking off, likelihood is that it has gone, assuming all fuses are good (have you checked)?

I can't remember the wire colours on the connector under the seat at the back but may well be the one carrying 6v is the fuel gauge. The pump live should be either battery voltage or nowt, depending on whether the relay's on or off.

Also, what alarm have you got? If it's a cat 1, chances are one of its immobilisation channels will be the pump, raising the possibility of a fault there.
Old 29 April 2010, 10:48 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply splitpin. The fuel pump is not priming at all. I can hear the relay click once. I have checked the handbook but I can't find a fuse for the fuel pump. Is there one, if so where is it located.
Old 29 April 2010, 11:33 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

You hear the relay click once when, exactly? At the exact moment you turn the ignition on, or a couple of seconds later?

If you hear it the moment you turn the ignition on, but don't get the second one, the sound you're hearing is almost inevitably the main relay rather than the pump control one, and as such either your pump relay has expired (most likely), there's a problem in the loom between it and the ECU (less likely), or the driver transistor in the ECU has failed (very unlikely).

Or, as above, you've got a problem with your alarm.

If you do hear the second click about 2 seconds after turning the ignition on, I'd be paying very close attention to (and checking the continuity in) the wiring loom between the relay and the pump.

And, as above, check all the fuses, then check them again.

Last edited by Splitpin; 29 April 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 30 April 2010, 12:35 AM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ok, I have been out and switched the ignition on again and I can hear the second click. So the relay is functioning, I'll check the fuses again tomorrow. If the relay is clicking do you think the standard fit cat1 alarm is functioning correctly? What I mean is does the imobiliser cut power before the relay?

Thanks for your time on this, it's driving me mad!
Old 30 April 2010, 06:06 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ok Update. I have checked all the fuses and they are all ok. I have pulled the relay off of its clip(The green one at the bottom of a row of three). I held it in my hand and felt it click once when ignition was switched on and again 3 seconds later. I guess this means it is functioning correctly. Could it still click but not be letting power through? If power is getting this far can I take a wire from here to the pump and feed it this way? If so which colour wire is the one I need to connect to? Failing this is there anywhere I can take a switched supply from to get the pump working?

Any help appreciated

Martin.
Old 30 April 2010, 07:26 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Check the wiring under the rear seat. Theres a connector there thats known to cause a problem. Its well worth while making a new connection here with new connectors, even if the connector looks ok
Old 30 April 2010, 11:37 PM
mart94wrx
Scooby Regular

Wink FUEL PUMP CONNECTOR / PLUG UNDER REAR SEAT.

Hello mate,
As previous poster - check and double check connector under rear seat. I would personally disconnect plug first, and then do a continuity check between plug and fuel pump (both wires) and also between plug and relay, just to make sure wiring is ok.

IIRC pump only primes initially after two or three seconds of turning on ignition, and once primed, only has power when engine running, which means it can be a bugger to check the circuit. I ended up doing away with the plug altogether and using bullet connectors instead - took me several break downs and two trips home on a low loader first though, before I sorted the problem.

Good luck,
Mart.

Last edited by mart94wrx; 30 April 2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 01 May 2010, 04:00 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Pull the fuel hose of the petrol filter and turn the ignition on if there is fuel coming out the pipe, its working, and getting power. If not check the wiring. I fitted a walbro and car would not start as a wire had come off while i was fitting pump.
Old 01 May 2010, 07:07 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Right think I'm getting somewhere now. I have power leaving the relay for approx 3 seconds. This is obviously the priming sequence but there is no power at the under rear seat connection block. Only 6v on the constant live for the fuel gauge. I am going to scotch lock a wire to the wire that is live for 3 seconds and connect this to the block under the seat. I just need to know which wire under the seat is the corresponding wire to connect to. Anyone know which wire/colour it is?

Martin.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:52 AM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Anyone??
Old 02 May 2010, 01:42 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I have power at the fuel pump for 3 seconds but it isn't priming. I connected an old pump, which works when fed from the battery, to the black/red wire and the earth and nothing even though there is power there.

Ok, I'm beat. From what I can gather the only thing left is a fault with the imobiliser. Anyone know a good auto electrician in the Wilts area?

Cheers
Old 02 May 2010, 04:24 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add that the voltage I have is 11.9v. When I attach the spare working pump I have, it drops straight to zero. I have my multi meter on the pump + and -. Take the pump off of the wires and it's back to 11.9v. Very strange.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:11 PM
CHRIS575
Scooby Regular

the pump is earth switched !!
Old 02 May 2010, 09:31 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ah I see, can I connect the positive to the red/black wire which is the switched live from the relay. Then connect the negetive to earth and see if the pump will work? I know I'm clutching at straws here but I've been without the car for over a week now.

If I have no luck by Tuesday then I will ring an auto electrician.
Old 02 May 2010, 09:52 PM
CHRIS575
Scooby Regular

have you tried a new live to pump with a bit of wire what happens when you do this
Old 02 May 2010, 10:01 PM
CHRIS575
Scooby Regular

right just read some info you noted you said you got the correct voltage at pump that means you got your feed to pump but pump still not working this means must be earth problem try giving pump new earth and see if starts working if does you know the fault lies on earth side you then track back from pump to relay check your earth along the wireing when you find your earth thats were the fault lies
Old 03 May 2010, 09:35 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ok, I attached another earth. I connected it to a seat belt bolt and then to the black wire in the terminal block. Switched on ignition and nothing. So back to square one.

On the relay socket there are two more thinner wires. Does anyone know where these go and could they be effecting the fuel pump? One last thing, if the relay is clicking could it still be faulty?

Thanks in advance, Martin.