Notices

Strange liquid?

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2002, 01:56 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Wasn’t sure what forum to put this in so if I got it wrong please don’t shoot me down in flames, there seems to be a lot of anger on here today!

Noticed it before but assumed it was from another car parked before me. Just pulled up at work after giving the car a good hard thrashing, stopped for a smoke first and then noticed to wet patches on the tarmac. A liquid, green in colour, cold to the touch, feels a bit oily is leaking from somewhere. It is dripping off the near side front corner of the bumper. Any ideas what it is? The washer fluid is blue, the brake fluid is yellow, could be coolant but why would it be cold? Is there an expansion bottle on the near side for the coolant? The air conditioning was switched off so surly it can’t be that?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers Chris
Old 27 March 2002, 02:02 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

There is an overflow pipe for the coolant over there. Try tasting it. Is it water based or oil based (slippery between the fingers).

Powersteering fluid?
Old 27 March 2002, 02:03 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Red face

sounds like coolant mate, small droplets will cool extremely quickly so will be cold to the touch. Suggest checking all your hose connections and make sure the radiator hasnt suffered a puncture (from stones or road debris).

Had exactly the same thing with my previous car - started seeing the green goo only days before the radiator bought the farm, dumping its load all over the local Esso forecourt - costing me a small fortune!

Hope this helps a bit...

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk

ps - look on the bright side - at least its a nice day!
Old 27 March 2002, 02:08 PM
Suzam
Scooby Newbie

It could be coolant from the reserve bottle. You didn't say how much fliud. A small amount from the bottle would be cooler than the radiator temperature. Have you had service of late?

regards,

-Sam
Old 27 March 2002, 02:11 PM
CJRH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Its definitely coolant, just been out and had another look, there is a pipe off the top of the expansion bottle. Maybe it was topped up a bit high after the last service?

Cheers Chris

PS. I’d check the coolant level but if I take the top off the reservoir I’ll get a face full of it, best let it cool down more first!

Old 27 March 2002, 02:17 PM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

Keep an eye on it and your temp gauge. If it keeps leaking look at replacing your cap on the header tank. Or get it pressure tested somewhere now. Also check after a run that both the top and bottom pipe to and from the radiator are both warm (just to make sure the thermostat is OK).