Notices

Replacing TMIC Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2010, 11:48 PM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacing TMIC Pipe

On my way home from work earlier i noticed the car was running a bit hesitantly through the rev range, and on closer inspection when i got home i found a slight split in the blue silicone intercooler pipe (pictured below). You can just about make out in the picture a slight bit of fresh oil seeping from the split.

It's a prodrive one, so i'd rather replace it with the same. So question is where's the best place to get one from, and also is this a common pipe to split on these?? Its a W plate turbo 2000 with the prodrive upgrades on if that makes a difference?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by prodrive.greeny; 19 April 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 20 April 2010, 04:19 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen a prodrive pipe being sold at any of the upgrade web sites. Best bet is probably to contact prodrive directly and ask for stockists:
http://www.prodrive.com/c_details.ht...ITED%20KINGDOM
A difficulty you might face is that they may not have that particular fitment any more, I'd guess the pipe used in the new age prodrive pack is slightly different to cater for the different intercooler. You might be better off going for a samco hose or similar, which would be readily available in your fitting
Old 20 April 2010, 11:03 AM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

I would just go for a samco one, easier to find.... and probably cheaper
Old 21 April 2010, 11:28 AM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

well spoke to prodrive and they want 50 quid. i'd rather stick with the prodrive one to keep it all authentic. if anyone wants to know the prodrive part number for this pipe in future it's: S2/JJ3/574-1

just out of interest, is this splitting a sign of my turbo over boosting??
Old 21 April 2010, 11:43 AM
budd
Scooby Regular

I wouldn’t have thought it would be caused by excess boost pressure more likely a slight manufacturing defect or the silicone perishing over time, I have the exact same pipe on mine and it’s fine at the moment but IMHO silicone doesn’t hold up well to contact with oil and heat, I have both Prodrive and Samco pipes and I not impressed with them at all, the Samco coolant pipes can be heard cracking internally when you compress them (like the internal layers are perished) which can’t be a good sign!!! I’m not a big fan of Silicone pipes
Old 21 April 2010, 08:12 PM
prodrive.greeny
Scooby Regular

Maybe i could press for prodrive to replace it FOC for me then as tbf silicone hoses are designed to be strong, yet this one has split
Old 21 April 2010, 08:46 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrive.greeny
Maybe i could press for prodrive to replace it FOC for me then as tbf silicone hoses are designed to be strong, yet this one has split
Good luck lol

Only takes a small nick from a screw driver to damage the pipes. I suppose you could send them the pipe and see what they say.
Old 22 April 2010, 06:51 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2000 MY uk turbo i bought recently had samco intercooler pipes on,and i have changed the one that goes to the turbo for the std red pipe fitted to the P1/STi 5-6. It has a metal clip built in the end of the pipe and comparing the 2 pipes it was much stronger than the samco unit and showed no sign of where around the end of the pipe where the jubilee clip is attatched, which i noticed can happen as i had this on a samco induction pipe i bought recently.