Notices

up pipe blowing. help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2010, 07:48 AM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up pipe blowing. help!!!

I have a blobeye and had a new exhaust i bought off the net fitted to it in jan but noticed the last two weeks its started to blow and i've lost 3p.s.i in pressure. Do i have to remove the turbo to get it out or is there an easy way to change it/ Gaskets???
Thanks
Old 15 April 2010, 09:45 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it doesn't have a CAT in you may be able to jiggle it out, I could with the STI one, but that is generally narrower than aftermarket ones. If it has the CAT in, as fitted to standard WRXs, then you will need to remove the turbo. The alternative is to jack that side of the engine apparently, but you'd need a hoist or engine crane for that.

Once it is undone you might find that you can manouvere the gasket in assuming that is the problem. If it is a cheap aftermarket one you may find that the welds or flexi joint (assuming it has one) have gone and it needs replacing.
Old 15 April 2010, 01:19 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
If it doesn't have a CAT in you may be able to jiggle it out, I could with the STI one, but that is generally narrower than aftermarket ones. If it has the CAT in, as fitted to standard WRXs, then you will need to remove the turbo. The alternative is to jack that side of the engine apparently, but you'd need a hoist or engine crane for that.

Once it is undone you might find that you can manouvere the gasket in assuming that is the problem. If it is a cheap aftermarket one you may find that the welds or flexi joint (assuming it has one) have gone and it needs replacing.
more or less as above, i undo all the bolts, undo the engine mountings and jack the engine up on a block of wood and the up pipe will drop down from underneath no problems.
Old 15 April 2010, 06:53 PM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

it is a 3" with a flexi join in it. The garage who put it in said it was a very tight fit so maybe the moment from the engine has ruptured it. i have a wrx fitted with a vf43 turbo if that helps?? What up pipe should i be buying as i really dont want this to happen again?
Old 15 April 2010, 08:03 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richard1522
it is a 3" with a flexi join in it. The garage who put it in said it was a very tight fit so maybe the moment from the engine has ruptured it. i have a wrx fitted with a vf43 turbo if that helps?? What up pipe should i be buying as i really dont want this to happen again?
the movement from the engine shouldn't cause it to go if its been fitted properly,
the reason it has gone is its cheap crappy ebay one, that does nothing more than kill spool up, the best one to buy is a standard one from a sti newage, or classic as these are the right bore size and don't effect spool
Old 15 April 2010, 11:05 PM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by my94wrx
the movement from the engine shouldn't cause it to go if its been fitted properly,
the reason it has gone is its cheap crappy ebay one, that does nothing more than kill spool up, the best one to buy is a standard one from a sti newage, or classic as these are the right bore size and don't effect spool
Fair point!!
I shall have a look around and sort is as quick as i can. not liking the extra noise!!! Do you know it they have cats?
Old 15 April 2010, 11:21 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

classics didn't have cats nor did newage stis, did you have your car mapped with the new up-pipe fitted? if so it will need tweaking to get the most from it as it will spool up earlier with the smaller bore up-pipe fitted.

Trending Topics

Old 15 April 2010, 11:44 PM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

Yer i did have it mapped mate. ggrrr what a pain lol. are the said up pipes flexi or solid? so i guess i best get looking then.
Old 16 April 2010, 05:20 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

the standard subaru up-pipes are flexible, they have a concertina joint in the them but you can see this as the have a heat shield around them, you will need to get the map tweaked to accommodate the new up-pipe.
Old 16 April 2010, 08:07 PM
richard1522
Scooby Regular

Well just finished putting the bottom of the car back together and thankfully it was only the gasket!!!

I had a chat with my mapper and he said about changing it any way so a new set of headers as they are abit rusted i think in the not so distant future.

Thank you for all your input thou its nice to know there is some good advice out there