Notices

CONDENSATION IN PIPE TO CATCH TANK

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2010, 07:01 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONDENSATION IN PIPE TO CATCH TANK

Hi people i have a 97 uk turbo with a nice new shiny catch tank i fitted the other week which is cool but i have a question (after i fill you in on what ive done).
I've blocked off the pvc valve, one of the outlets coming from the crank breather and from the other crank breather outlet ive got a pipe which goes to the catch tank which i noticed there is condensation in this pipe, the catch tank then has a pipe which is vented to atmosphere.
Now the question, is it normal to get condesation in a breather pipe or is it due to a possible underlying problem cause it doesnt seem right.
Any info would be great
Old 16 April 2010, 08:24 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Well i checked the breather pipe going to the catch tank, yesterday and today i emptied out a little puddle of condensation which had built up, so i got some more pipe and redirected the breather fumes from the catch tank back into the turbo intake pipe. I can only assume that the condensation was because i vented the catch tank to atmosphere, however if breather pipes vented to atmosphere get condensation in, it seems to me that venting to atmos is not a good idea even tho lots of people do it, is this right? or has my engine got another problem causing the condensation?
touch wood i hope not.
Old 16 April 2010, 09:33 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by PJF
Well i checked the breather pipe going to the catch tank, yesterday and today i emptied out a little puddle of condensation which had built up, so i got some more pipe and redirected the breather fumes from the catch tank back into the turbo intake pipe. I can only assume that the condensation was because i vented the catch tank to atmosphere, however if breather pipes vented to atmosphere get condensation in, it seems to me that venting to atmos is not a good idea even tho lots of people do it, is this right? or has my engine got another problem causing the condensation?
touch wood i hope not.
Reconnect the pcv. It's what it's there for!
The best routing is to feed the breather pipes into the tank, with the pcv connected as stock. Then bring a pipe out of the tank, and feed it into the intake hose. The result is that the tank will act as it should, in collecting oil if you're unfortunate enough to blow oil up there, and the breather will still work properly, by feeding gases back in. High power versions feed the waste oil back into the sump.
Old 17 April 2010, 01:34 PM
PJF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, i shall get that done now while its sunny