Notices

Newbie needs some advise please?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2010, 01:06 PM
chubmonkey
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie needs some advise please?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and have just bought a Subaru wrx Hawkeye with the PPP kit fitted. The car has covered 15000 miles and has a full subaru service history.
I am loving the car but have just started getting a tappety noise from the engine when under load between 2000- 3500rpm.
I have trawled the posts on here and read how its difficult to diagnose on a forum but any idea's would be very welcome?
When I start the car from cold it sounds fine, with the bonnet up nothing sounds bad I guess but as I pull away there is a definate clicking/tapping noise from the car. It is booked in at Subaru Gatwick on Saturday for a mechanic to have a listen but any forwarned idea's would be welcome.

Thanks

Stuart
Old 14 April 2010, 01:10 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo heat shield loose?
Old 14 April 2010, 01:25 PM
chubmonkey
Scooby Newbie

The chap at the Subaru garage suggested that but it does'nt sound like that kind of rattle. Have had a poke about at the heatshield and seems tight. My mate is a mechanic and he said it doesn't sound like a heatshield problem so fingers crossed for the weekend. The annoying thing is the manafactures warranty ran out ten days ago so may also see if it's bad wether Subaru will offer a goodwill gesture. Also as I only purchased it three weeks ago from a little car dealer I may see what rights I have to reject the car although I dont hold out much hope. As the missus hates the car already calling it a chav charriot I wont get much support from the home camp!
Old 14 April 2010, 02:16 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

Women eh, my wife moans every time i buy summat for it, your'll get used it m8, as for the noise, has it still got the cat in, it could be from there a friends started too tinkle/rattle under a small load and it was the cat
Old 14 April 2010, 02:27 PM
garoge
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P600wrx
Women eh, my wife moans every time i buy summat for it, your'll get used it m8, as for the noise, has it still got the cat in, it could be from there a friends started too tinkle/rattle under a small load and it was the cat
hi mate,
i second what p600wrx say's, as i had the same sound coming from mine a couple of weeks ago and it turned out to be the first cat just of the turbo.
if you can get the car up on ramps or up on axle stands and give the cat/s a bang and see if you can hear any rattling.
worth a try.
Old 14 April 2010, 02:38 PM
WRX WASS
BANNED

i think its the engine piston heads they make that kind of noise get it checked it could be really costly if it is that mate!!! allways buy ur scoobie from the dealers i did with a 2 years warranty hope its all fine mate
Old 14 April 2010, 02:41 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX WASS
i think its the engine piston heads they make that kind of noise get it checked it could be really costly if it is that mate!!! allways buy ur scoobie from the dealers i did with a 2 years warranty hope its all fine mate

i doubt it very much if it is the piston heads, the car has only covered 15k and has regular service

Trending Topics

Old 14 April 2010, 02:43 PM
WRX WASS
BANNED

ok just thought maybe that would be the problem
Old 14 April 2010, 04:35 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flux capacitor?
Old 15 April 2010, 10:46 AM
chubmonkey
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the input all, i am concerned about the noise and I think I am in for a little fun with the guy I bought it from if its serious. I have owned the car less than a month so am not exactly happy. I did buy it on impulse, should have driven a few before deciding to take the plunge. Still one drive sold it to me. Its not as fast as my old mazda 3 MPS but it handles so well you can really push on in it. Fingers crossed for Saturday!