Notices

Loss of power when boost kicks in

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2010, 11:02 PM
stucow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power when boost kicks in

Hi guys need some help I'll start from the begining took car impreza 2000 turbo 1999 for full service the cel light was on but had been since bought car I was told it would go off when engine up to temp which it did the mechanic who did the service did the norm and also checked the falut codes it came up on his laptop with knock sensor,air flow sensor, crank sensor he check all sensors cleaned them replaced knock sensor the cel light went out fine I thought untill 3 miles down the road it started cutting out when the car got to a certain rev just happens to be when boost kicks in taken car back to garage and he carnt find the problem he's reset ecu disconnected battary for ten min checked spark plug gap the only thing left that wasn't changed is crank sensor could this cause prob please help I miss my car
Old 08 April 2010, 12:58 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blimey, did your mechanic check the punctuation control valve? I'd get that sorted before you do anything else.

Anyway, where to start. Firstly, driving round with the CEL on, but ignoring it, isn't the best idea - ditto buying a car with it on. Were you told by the seller what the cause of the problem(s) were or how long it'd been on? How long have you been driving around with it like this?

Secondly, when you say your mechanic is now no longer able to find the problem, does this mean that the check engine light isn't coming on anymore, and/or there are no trouble codes being recorded by the ECU?

Incidentally, were the errors above the only ones your mechanic has seen or have others popped up at any point? Furthermore, can you ask him whether the faults you reported above were all current, or all historic, or a mixture of the two?

The more info you can give us the easier it will be to advise you. At the moment it's difficult to work out whether your car has fallen victim to a previous owner p*ss*ng around under the bonnet or whether it really has suffered a multiple sensor failure.

The crank position sensor certainly will stop the car running properly (or at all) so if your mechanic isn't clued up enough to test it, replacing it and crossing your fingers would probably be the next logical step.

Note though that even if swapping the crank pos sensor gets your car running again, given the range of symptoms you're reporting it would be well worth you getting it looked at by someone who really knows these cars before assuming it's all sorted.