Vac Pipe ? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2010, 01:55 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vac Pipe ? Help please

Hi

please see below a picture of the right hand side (Near Side of the vehicle) of the intercooler (the car is a WRX with a STi Intercooler) where i noticed a pipe which looks to be a vac pipe of some kind not connected on the first picture it shows you the pipe and on the second is where it goes to

is this meant to be connected?

thanks

Stu

Old 07 April 2010, 01:56 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That should be connected to the recirc valve on the front of the intercooler if it is the one I think it is
Old 07 April 2010, 02:05 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That should be connected to the recirc valve on the front of the intercooler if it is the one I think it is

will have another look later, could not see anywhere where it should be connected, as the pipe seems to look like it should be connected at the back by the bulkhead, the car has a forge DV if that makes any difference
Old 07 April 2010, 02:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

It still plumbed into my old Forge and my current Turbosmart one.
Old 07 April 2010, 02:45 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

It still plumbed into my old Forge and my current Turbosmart one.
thanks Jon,

Sorry to sound stupid but this needs to be connected to the DV as there is a hose that comes off the forge but is blocked off
Old 07 April 2010, 02:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

There is usually 2 hoses connected to the DV, a larger recirc hose that will be underneath and should be blocked unless the forge you have is a recirc DV same as the factory one and this is about 1.5 inches in diameter. The second hose is the vacumm that is used to open the valve when you back off the throttle. This will connect to a small nipple on the top of the forge DV. If this has been blocked off swap, remove that and plug this in and the DV will then be working properly - iirc it should reach around.
Old 07 April 2010, 03:33 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

There is usually 2 hoses connected to the DV, a larger recirc hose that will be underneath and should be blocked unless the forge you have is a recirc DV same as the factory one and this is about 1.5 inches in diameter. The second hose is the vacumm that is used to open the valve when you back off the throttle. This will connect to a small nipple on the top of the forge DV. If this has been blocked off swap, remove that and plug this in and the DV will then be working properly - iirc it should reach around.

Here is the Pic of the DV it does connect a vac pipe but this goes to the other side of the engine and there is another pipe off a T connector which is the one blocked off the car has a 3 port solenoid if that makes any difference?

Old 07 April 2010, 05:46 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

That looks right, the piece that has been blanked will have gone to a boost gauge at some point.

But panic over, I have just had a good rummage around in mine and I have a similar hose that is connected to a black plastic piece in the back of the block and runs to nothing, I assume some sort of vent
Old 07 April 2010, 06:33 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a gearbox vent pipe from memory. But id suggest starting the engine and putting your finger over the end of it, if you feel suction or the engine note changes then its probably sucking air into the inlet which isnt a good idea at all

Last edited by Turbotits; 07 April 2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07 April 2010, 08:26 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its goes down under the icv. Ithink there is 2 nipples and they are for the purge, for the fumes. you would need to take the cooler of to see properly but i think thats where it might go...
Old 08 April 2010, 09:27 AM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

That looks right, the piece that has been blanked will have gone to a boost gauge at some point.

But panic over, I have just had a good rummage around in mine and I have a similar hose that is connected to a black plastic piece in the back of the block and runs to nothing, I assume some sort of vent

Originally Posted by Turbotits
I think its a gearbox vent pipe from memory. But id suggest starting the engine and putting your finger over the end of it, if you feel suction or the engine note changes then its probably sucking air into the inlet which isnt a good idea at all
Originally Posted by f4la k
Its goes down under the icv. Ithink there is 2 nipples and they are for the purge, for the fumes. you would need to take the cooler of to see properly but i think thats where it might go...
well took the car to my garage and was advised that it is some kind of vent and when my friend is back in the garage on saturday when the car is going in to have all the vac pipe replaced he will have a look around and see where it goes to