Notices

Rebuild wont start

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2010, 08:38 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild wont start

Evening, i just rebuilt a 96 wrx with number 3 big end failure.Engine was running fine but with a rather stromg knock! I stripped her down put a recon/reground crank in new main and big bearings, rings where fine then re-assembled! Once together i double checked timing belt, compression and all 4 plugs sparking. And primed the oil filter. On firts turn she fired then died. Then just started turning with nothing. A little annoyed i went in for a while came out trued agin and it done exactley the same thing. I went out today to replace a potentially kinked breather hose on the intake manifold and once back together first turn start run to 2500 revs then died again. My initial thought is fuel starvation but no idea what may cause it. Anyone see an obvious mistake on what i'm missing out after a rebuild?
Cheers in advance Spen.
Old 31 March 2010, 09:03 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Deffo sounds like the fuel pump is cutting out to me. Make sure you have everything connected and the fuel lines are all on the correct way round. I've got a pic on my phone of the pipes if you want to PM me your mobile number and I'll send it.

Craig

Last edited by intergrale4x4; 31 March 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 31 March 2010, 09:39 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Nice one cheers Craig but i have the online manual thingy here but i did mark up top middle and botton when i stripped it.Will double check in the morning though and ensure a nice fuel flow.
Cheers Spen
Old 31 March 2010, 09:54 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fieldy1978
Nice one cheers Craig but i have the online manual thingy here but i did mark up top middle and botton when i stripped it.Will double check in the morning though and ensure a nice fuel flow.
Cheers Spen
The high pressure fuel system on modern cars is quite smart "After a number of people in the early days quite literly went up in a big ball of smoke" Your pump sounds like it's priming the system with pressure to start but then cutting out this could be caused by a pressure leak "car thinks the hose is split and stops the pump" or lack of a spark signal "car thinks you've crashed or switched the ignition off. Do you have the crank and cam position sensors pluged in the cam unit is on the right had top as you look under the bonnet and the cable comes from behind the battery area

Craig
Old 31 March 2010, 10:33 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

I am sure it has nothing to do with your car not starting but a recon/reground crank on these motors are a HUGE no, no!!??

Do yourself a favour and search reground cranks on here.
Old 31 March 2010, 10:33 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure the sensors are in place but will take them off tomorrow and give them a good blow out and refit. Same with my fuel pipes, will remove them and and give them a thorough check over before refitting!Thanks a lot for the great advice!

Spen
Old 31 March 2010, 10:43 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fastboyslim
I am sure it has nothing to do with your car not starting but a recon/reground crank on these motors are a HUGE no, no!!??

Do yourself a favour and search reground cranks on here.
If there was a prob with the crank the car wouldn't start at all let alone rev then just "like it's run out a fuel"

Just out a matter of interest how many engine out full rebuilds have you been involved in?? I'm currently on my second impreza engine build this week..

Craig

Last edited by intergrale4x4; 31 March 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 31 March 2010, 10:49 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

I have built two so far. One standard and one forged. This is nothing to do with it though. Do the search.

As for been a mechanic, if you have built two with reground cranks you might be in for a suprise. Sorry for this, its not a poke at you. Just do the search.
Old 31 March 2010, 10:58 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

I have built two so far. One standard and one forged. This is nothing to do with it though. Do the search.

As for been a mechanic, if you have built two with reground cranks you might be in for a suprise. Sorry for this, its not a poke at you. Just do the search.
I'm not taking it as a "Poke" I build engines mate anything from turbo impreza's to kia rio's. The fault the bloke is describing has nothing to do with how good his crank grind and shells are "Please look up engine dynamics"
Stick to searching forums mate and I'll stick to fixing car !!!
Craig

Last edited by intergrale4x4; 31 March 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 31 March 2010, 11:25 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

What a ****!! I know it has nothing to do with the OP's car not starting- read my quote from my first post.

My post was not malicious in any way and was bringing to the OP's attention reground cranks are not the best way forward here.

Anyway my post was for the OP not you! Go do another budget build mate.
Old 31 March 2010, 11:42 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

What a ****!! I know it has nothing to do with the OP's car not starting- read my quote from my first post.

My post was not malicious in any way and was bringing to the OP's attention reground cranks are not the best way forward here.

You must be on that new MEIOW-MEIME Drug that "everyone realises you don't have a clue what your on about but you still keep talking"
The bloke only wanted help getting his car going "Can you help"
Old 31 March 2010, 11:45 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Do you have a driving licence ??
Whats yer car reg I'll check the model MOT and insurance status ??
Old 01 April 2010, 07:51 AM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Hahahahaha classic! Please dont do that, both my cars are dodgy and are running without tax. Love starting the day with a smile.

On your bike budget builder.
Old 01 April 2010, 07:54 AM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell fellas. Ya man craig gave me some good advice and also i understand that some reground numbers are ropey!Calm the passion!
Old 02 April 2010, 11:46 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

How did you get on?? is it going now ??

Craig
Old 04 April 2010, 12:02 AM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Hi Craig, no its not mate i tried swapping the crank sensor with my other scooby as had them symptoms but did not work. It smells like it flooded when i was cranking it over but i have a new possible avenue. When i pulled off the inlet manifold 2 coils where still attached and i pulled the wires out of the connector plugs. I pushed them back in and the coils are sparking but just going to check the connections are good enough. Otherwise i'm at a real dead end. Might have to get an auto sparky to plug it in for fault codes unless you or anyone else have any possible ideas?
Cheers Spen
Old 04 April 2010, 01:13 AM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

If it was going before you pulled the engine out it's somthing you haven't put back into place. It's a simple cause and affect. Was why I got so pissed off with the bloke slagging crank grindes!! ... it starts then stops have you made sure the impact crash button has clicked into place. was it deffo going before you removed the motor ??

Cs
Old 04 April 2010, 02:46 AM
barnes_2k7
Scooby Regular

swap the coil packs over 0n the right hand side, same symtoms as mine
Old 04 April 2010, 01:25 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

It was running on the button when i bought it with the banging from big end. I'm messing with coil packs now. Where the hell is the impact crash button and what does it do? Is it just a starting inhibitor?
Cheers Spen
Old 04 April 2010, 08:29 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fieldy1978
It was running on the button when i bought it with the banging from big end. I'm messing with coil packs now. Where the hell is the impact crash button and what does it do? Is it just a starting inhibitor?
Cheers Spen
Sorry Spen the impact sensor isn't fitted till later. Coils should be ok if it starts then stops it sounds like a fuel problem to me but hard to diag without having the car to hand but I'll help all I can!!

Craig
Old 04 April 2010, 09:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maf plugged in?
Cleaned the plugs since first try? Probably fouled.
Holding it on throttle when it starts?
Old 04 April 2010, 09:26 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

for the price i'd get a fuel pump to save all the messing about, my heater matrix went and car stood for a week before i could fix it, did the job fired it up and it ran for 3-4 seconds then died, i chamged maf and the iacv, and it was the pump had seized, it was starting then dying no revs nothing it was just drawing the fuel through on vaccum pressure, get 1 and see what happens
Old 04 April 2010, 10:44 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice on the fuel filter but i can hear it prime. Surelly if it was seized i would not be able to hear it. Could you hear anything from yours?I cleaned the plugs when i done the compression test but very tempted to buy a new set. I thought was fueling craig but it smelled flooded when i was cranking it over after changing the crank sensor. Didnt mention before that tried tow starting the car and fired then nothing, few hundred metres fired then nothing and this carried on. It started then i dropped the clutch and it conked out. Bloody well baffled!But gonna put new plugs and hit everything with a hammer serveral times!!
Old 04 April 2010, 11:50 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

does it sound normal wehn it runs for the short time it runs?

coilpacks or injector plugs correct?

Simon
Old 05 April 2010, 08:04 AM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Sounds pretty normal too me!would it start if the coils where plugged in the wrong way round?
Old 05 April 2010, 10:16 AM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

i thought i could here it prime too but it was the relay and other bit n bobs on the car doing stuff,
Old 05 April 2010, 11:16 AM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

I must admit that i took off the top hose on the manifold turned ignition on and it just poured out rather than spray out.But no idea as to how much pressure it should come out at. I will get the seat up and take the pump out see what its doing later!
Old 05 April 2010, 08:42 PM
fieldy1978
Scooby Regular

Ok i just whipped the plugs out and they where wet and stinking of petrol so pretty sure fuel is ok!going to buy some new plugs tomorrow and sort /test the coil packs! Is there anyway of testing the coil packs other than checking there is a spark?
Cheers Spen
Old 05 April 2010, 09:07 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Clean plugs and refit, start it and hold on the throttle etc
Old 07 May 2010, 02:33 AM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

Does it have plastic cam pulleys? Ifso, I would have to say change left inlet cam pulley. They are easily damaged and cause just this same syptom. Try it.

Quick Reply: Rebuild wont start