Notices

A couple of problems...

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2010, 01:09 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A couple of problems...

About 2 weeks ago i bought a JDM Impreza from bradford and i've already had some faults with it!

1. The clutch pedal doesnt return to its original place, it stays down and sometimes in 3rd gear, it seems like the clutch is slipping but dont know why because the clutch felt brand new when i bought it upto a few days ago when the pedal went weird.

2. I was driving on a dual carriageway down here and it was raining but the wheel only touched the reflective studs on the road and it caused the whole car to like drift but luckily i braked and held the steering or else dont know what would have happened.

I've also noticed whilst trying to brake with my foot pedal all the way down, the car doesnt want to stop, it makes a noise like its running out of brake LOL...

Last but not least, how difficult would it be converting my rear drums to discs and the front discs to take bigger discs.

Thanks
Old 21 March 2010, 01:12 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 1st query on your post is NO JDM impreza has drum brakes at the rear,only uk sport/non turbo versions
Old 21 March 2010, 01:13 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

its a non turbo mate...its a ej15
Old 21 March 2010, 01:13 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
My 1st query on your post is NO JDM impreza has drum brakes at the rear,only uk sport/non turbo versions
Lol just about to post the same.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:18 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

So why has my jdm non turbo ej15 got brake drums?
Old 21 March 2010, 01:27 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

It's not a JDM???
Old 21 March 2010, 01:29 AM
Scooby Senior

Some sports don't have rear ARB/drop links which makes for comfortable yet interesting handling !
Old 21 March 2010, 01:33 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Wrong answer. JDM 1.5 classic Imprezas have drums on the back. 30 seconds of Googling uncovered that.

STI_Kid - you're probably not going to find too many people round here with detailed knowledge of cars quite like yours, as that brake issue has just demonstrated. If it aquaplaned as easily as you suggested in question 2, one would be wondering about the state of the tyres. As far as your brake and clutch problems are concerned, the stock answer is to get your car looked at by someone who knows their stuff - as regards the brakes especially.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:34 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Its a JDM because its been in the country for 2 years along with jap service history. Every writing inside the car is in japanese apart from the seat belt manufacture date. Under the bonnet, its got all jap writing and on the chassis plate its got jap writing and it says gc1 etc etc. The speedo is also in KM.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:37 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Wrong answer. JDM 1.5 classic Imprezas have drums on the back. 30 seconds of Googling uncovered that.

STI_Kid - you're probably not going to find too many people round here with detailed knowledge of cars quite like yours, as that brake issue has just demonstrated. If it aquaplaned as easily as you suggested in question 2, one would be wondering about the state of the tyres. As far as your brake and clutch problems are concerned, the stock answer is to get your car looked at by someone who knows their stuff - as regards the brakes especially.
Thank you very much!!! Atleast some people have general knowledge about JDM Scoobys!. I've been told that theyre very very rare. I wanted to buy a set of spark plugs the other day but i didnt know which ones to buy as no-one knows of any classics made in a 1.5.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:39 AM
Scooby Senior

pmsl
Old 21 March 2010, 01:40 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

LOL but my tyres are all in very good condition with about 6-7mm of tread. It aqua planned and i really **** myself LOL as it never happened before even withmy old 2.0 sport.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:42 AM
Scooby Senior

Tred depth doesnt count for much if the tyres are cheap.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:47 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI_Kid
LOL but my tyres are all in very good condition with about 6-7mm of tread.
Are they tidy brand name tyres or some unknown remoulds/far eastern cr*p made from pigeon poo?

It aqua planned and i really **** myself LOL as it never happened before even withmy old 2.0 sport.
Ah yes remember that one. Does it track straight when you take your hands off the steering wheel? There isn't really much we can do to diagnose this kind of thing via the interweb. Were you touching the brakes at all at the moment it aquaplaned, by the way?

If you were that could point to the braking system being a mile out of balance. Could be suspension geometry out of what, or, as above, pwp tyres.

Incidentally is your car front- or all wheel drive?
Old 21 March 2010, 01:54 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Are they tidy brand name tyres or some unknown remoulds/far eastern cr*p made from pigeon poo?

Ah yes remember that one. Does it track straight when you take your hands off the steering wheel? There isn't really much we can do to diagnose this kind of thing via the interweb. Were you touching the brakes at all at the moment it aquaplaned, by the way?

If you were that could point to the braking system being a mile out of balance. Could be suspension geometry out of what, or, as above, pwp tyres.

Incidentally is your car front- or all wheel drive?
Right the tyres brands i am not sure as i havent took too much notice but i will do tomorrow. Yes! I was trying to brake as i was reaching a junction and all of a sudden, it just swerved and i was so lucky as there was no other car beside me. It really did scare me though but i will look into that. TBH i don't know whether its 4WD or FWD. All i can say is on a nice dry day, it handles a million times better on any bend/roundabout than my golf gti mk4 and that was lowered.
Old 21 March 2010, 01:55 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Im surprised no one has asked where in bradford you bought the car. did you buy it from a place called keighley sports.
Old 21 March 2010, 02:02 AM
STI_Kid
Scooby Regular

Nope it was bought privately....Do you mean keighley trade centre? My cousin bought his 350z from there.
Old 21 March 2010, 02:09 AM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

oh well thats a relief.
Old 21 March 2010, 08:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 1.5 is 2wd, there is a reason they are rare though, and thats because they are not exactly the most desireable car available most people go for a 2ltr sport which is AWD, but as Splitpin said, tyres, see if they have an E stamp on them, probably are crap jap things

Tony
Old 21 March 2010, 09:32 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my answer wasnt wrong wrong just mis-typed, i left out turbo after jdm impreza,as i put only sport/non turbo cars have drums,which his is, so my mistake for a missing word but i knew what i meant :-)
Old 21 March 2010, 09:34 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the OP's name was a bit misleading also

Tony