Notices

Exhaust centre boxes - effective noise reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2010, 01:56 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust centre boxes - effective noise reduction?

Need to shut my car up a bit as it's way too loud at the moment, so I'm planning on adding a centre box of some description to do it, but I'm not certain what would be most effective without choking the exhaust flow too much.
Am also a bit concerned what will fit in the centre section ok, bearing in mind the proximity to the propshaft etc.

At the moment I have a 3" full decat straight through system (only 'silencer'/muffler is a straight through backbox), and it's too loud for me these days. The downpipe and centre pipe are scoobyworld (H&S) afterburner ones (slipjointed, not flanged), the backbox is a cheap stainless straight through box with twin tailpipes to avoid a massive single tailpipe (been there & done that, but not my cup of tea now).

After looking around there seem to be a lot of exhaust systems for scoobs that have a cherry bomb style centre box (like links below), but are they enough to keep noise levels sensible in combination with a free flow backbox? Some people have said they simply take the edge of the higher frequency noise and don't really quieten the noise much at all.

So here's the cherry bomb type that would fit in easily due to smallest diameter increase over the centre pipe at present:
US Cherry Glasspack Exhaust Bomb 30" Body x 3" ID on eBay (end time 21-Mar-10 13:15:55 GMT)

And an example of a system that already uses this sort of centre box from the look of it:
SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO STI WRX 3" STAINLESS STEEL SYSTEM on eBay (end time 17-Apr-10 20:49:57 BST)

Would a small oval section centre box do a better job, like this for example?
3" Bore Stainless steel exhaust silencer - ES730076 on eBay (end time 17-Apr-10 13:28:21 BST)
Or this sort of round section box - bulkier than a cheery bomb type but probably more effective if there's room under there to squeeze it in:

Universal Exhaust Silencer 5" Round x 3" bore x 16" on eBay (end time 05-Apr-10 11:03:41 BST)
Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting nor wanting it to actually be 'quiet', but at the moment it's offensive (except when it's floored in the middle of nowhere!) and draws too much attention.

I'd like a happy middle ground really so that it's civilised tootling around a town & past houses, but sounds good at speed and flows well, so am grateful for ideas.

Note that I can't currently afford to just buy a new system (2nd baby coming this weekend - eeek!) and probably can't replace the backbox with an expensive one for the same reason. I'd like to keep the current backbox anyway as it's ideal with being 3" inlet AND twin outlets - that combo seems rare.

So really it comes down to finding an effective add-in solution for the centre section.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to know what systems are considered goodin this respect in case I can get something secondhand that might do.

I've been told by pals that have them that Mongoose (which has an oval centre box) is one of the best systems for being 'pleasant' in all respects, so anything vaguely similar would be worth a look.

Cheers for any useful suggestions, and sorry for being a bit waffly!
Old 19 March 2010, 08:00 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

the last 2 are definatly the ones to choose and will tone it down alot
Old 19 March 2010, 09:06 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. Makes sense as the other one is very slim so not much space to soak up the sound.

Have you based that on having something like those yourself or something? The other thing is how much space there is for these things?