Turbo gases into TMIC/Exhaust smells weird one

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2010, 04:49 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbo gases into TMIC/Exhaust smells weird one

Right.

1995 wrx standard headers standard up-pipe ninja sports cat with Nurspec R system

2003 TMIC fitted

i did most the above upgrades near the same time so cant pin point which one but im leaning towards when i fitted the TMIC,the problem

When giving it Full chat the cabin stinks of exhaust fumes,when driving normally,no smell at all,its only when i put the loud pedal to the floor in any gear for short periods (not many long roads near me).

I have checked all exhaust parts,headers/up-pipe turbo flange sports cat to turbo mount/mid section joints etc all have no leaks,well,none i can feel with my hand

so im leaning towards this 2003 tmic,as we know when these are fitted to early classics mods need to be done, the throttle body was skimmed to make it shorter intercooler side so the TMIC didnt hit the bulkhead,this makes the solicone pipe a bit at an angle,nothing major

im just thinking as the turbo spins up its gonna take with it some exhuast smell isnt it ??? into the TMIC and could it be leaking out the throttle body/silicone hose pipe ?

any thoughts ??

very annoying
Old 07 March 2010, 05:03 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intercooler is in the intake system so would have no exhaust gases in it.

Can you get a mate to cver the tail pipe with a thick wad of clolth whilst you look at the system. As this would increase the pressure in the exhaust so any leak would be easier to find.

Last edited by 360ste; 07 March 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07 March 2010, 05:57 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers,yeah,i did think there wasnt any exhaust gases as such,i take it the exhaust gases spin a turbine and this has seals etc so its just air generated by the turbine into the induction system.

will try the block the tailpipe method

is a weird one,as there are no visual leaks to generate such a stink of fumes
Old 07 March 2010, 08:15 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Sure it's not oil burning in the IC mate?

That can get a little smelly etc. Just an idea.

Steve
Old 07 March 2010, 08:20 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Dont think its oil,its a pure exhaust gas smell,thinking about it more, it only happens when i give it full beans but the smell of fumes only happens when i come off the throttle,not during,i could give it beans for a few minutes and nothing,soon as i come off throttle for the lites etc the fumes smell is present

i did think it was coming from the boot seal, the blitz nur spec r end can sits right level with the bumper,but i adjusted the boot so its tight and still the smell

weird as !!!!!
Old 07 March 2010, 08:41 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Have you got a vta dumpvalve? could be gases from there smelling> often will only smell them when slowing down
Old 07 March 2010, 10:34 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

You haven't knocked the inlet fuel line from the filter whilst fitting the TMIC?

If not as Turbotits said sometimes with VTA the small of fuel can occur.

What other stuff line parrallel lines,FPR you have close to where you did the work?

Could be wrong mate altogehter just trying to help as I know things like this annoy the wassits out of me when it happens to me.

Steve
Old 07 March 2010, 11:03 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys,yeah, i do have a VTA dump valve, a HKS one,i have had it fitted since i bought the car and it never did it for yrs,so why now, can bits wear in them to release the smell i wonder ??

no other pipes have come loose,its more exhaust fumes rather than fuel smell tho but stronger than when i stand at the back of the car if that makes sense

hmmm
Old 07 March 2010, 11:49 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

My bet would be a leak somewhere around the headers. I had a similar problem on my classic a while ago (would smell gassy every time I span engine up hard), and in the end it wasn't until I fitted ported headers that it actually stopped. I'm not sure if it was just refitting them more carefully that last time than all the other times I'd checked for leaks that did it, or the better gas flow meaning there was less pressure at the joins, but I've never had the problem since.
Old 08 March 2010, 12:06 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers,but why only on lift off from full throttle, i can do 80-90 at 1/4 or even say 1/2 throttle no smells,yet if i give it beans,full throttle/chat to redline then back off,whoph,smell of exhaust/fuel whatever fumes in cabin

might fit the standard recirc valve and see if it changes
Old 12 March 2010, 05:59 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Have you got a vta dumpvalve? could be gases from there smelling> often will only smell them when slowing down

Well,fitted my original re-circ and there is no more smell !!!!

So,is it just a case of re-positioning the HKS dump valve, getting a longer piece of pipe etc from the TMIC y pipe and locate it say,near my drivers side headlight,as it was currently just in front of the clutch fluid reservoir

cheers,glad it was this and not the up-pipe as i 1st thought !!!!!!
Old 12 March 2010, 07:58 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with extending the run from IC to DV is that it will take longer for the pipe between them to fill up with air and dump the charge. This will put a tad more extra strain on the turbo's CHRA. But, in reality, you're prob only talking a fraction of a second, regardless.

Do it.
Old 13 March 2010, 02:53 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

well,gutted

i took the missus`s word for it as she drives it more than me,shocking i know !! anyhoo,she said she booted it and it was fine, well, i drove it today, accelerated etc and it still stinks,bloody women,i suppose i should be grateful her "booting" it is nice !!!

anyhoo,back to square one

if i were to open the window fully and it didnt do it,i wonder if this points to the gases being sucked back under the car,as the Blitz does sit right on edge of bumper,clutching at straws really,if i smell the fumes coming out the blitz,smells nothing like the fumes/smell inside the cabin,they are more raw like.
If i turn off the fan for inside the cabin so no air is coming thru the vents,still stinks,yet if i turn them on,no smell comes from them so im guessing its not an engine leak etc,if i rev the car stationery no smell under the bonnet either of any fumes leaking

bugger

Last edited by The Rig; 13 March 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 13 March 2010, 04:27 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't you not temp. run it DVless? Then this could rule out the fumes coming from the DV, so you'd then know to investigate elsewhere....

Last edited by joz8968; 13 March 2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 13 March 2010, 05:12 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Check in the boot. take the cover off where your fuel pump is and check that a fuel breather hose hasnt come slack. Also you have 2 pipes for the gases from tank that come on to 2 fittings on back of manifold and from there to the purge can at front. Check that you havent knocked one when puting tmic on.
Old 13 March 2010, 05:28 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

I am currently running with the standard re-circ d/v so that illiminates the d/v issue.

i have had to have the fuel pump out a couple of times,maybe the seal has gone,hmm ??

saying that,on a journey a moment ago i turned the vents onto the middle ones and could smell it i think thru the vents,which makes no sense as the vents route thru to the bulkhead near the wipers under the windscreen,not under the bonnet

oh i give up LOL
Old 13 March 2010, 05:29 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

where the are pipes on back of manifold,easily spotted ??