New Car - Small Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2010, 07:06 PM
marky_m
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car - Small Problem...

Hello,

After nearly 10 loving years of my SEAT Ibiza Cupra from new...I came across an offer I couldn't refuse...

51 Plate Impreza WRX, 67,000 miles, one owner ex-company car, FSH - £3500...

I have never owned a Japanese car before but having owned it for 3 weeks now I am VERY impressed. Incredibly quick, smooth, revvable boxer engine and great handling etc. I am happy and desperately trying to avoid getting penalty points on my DL!!!

Anyway, the car is fine apart from a one minor thing...When driving off from a very cold start (as we tend to keep getting these days) I get quite bad judder from first gear. It's hard to determine exactly where the judder is coming from, I would assume the clutch but I am not 100% sure of that. The judder keeps going until I drop the clutch pedal again and drive off with slightly more revs. This problem doesn't happen every time I pull away just every 5th time or so and the problem completely goes away when the engine/drive train/coolant etc all warm up, which is rather quick I've noticed. Its kind of a judder from just in front of the gear selector, definitely towards the front of the car.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of your resident “experts” might have suggestions as to what this problem might be? Apart from a worn clutch that is...I am not sure it is the clutch as it only happens when cold and the car has only done 67,000 miles, not that I have any idea how long WRX Clutches typically last?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Marc.
Old 06 March 2010, 07:27 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

id set off a bit earlier for a journey as driving from a cold start can ruin your engine. oil is cold an thick an cant circulate properly till warm an plus wont pump to the turbo very well an ruin that also. i think the judder will just be cold parts needing to warm up.
Old 06 March 2010, 07:39 PM
marky_m
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I'm always careful as I've owned a Turbo Charged car for 10 years. I'm not too worried as the problem goes after the first couple of miles anyway.

Marc.
Old 06 March 2010, 07:42 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

if it helps our van at work a fiat ducato which we dont care about well we take off from moment turn key an that judders like mad on cold take offs so think its just a common thing with any car or van. i wouldnt worry an if was constantly there it prob be an engine mount or somethin
Old 06 March 2010, 07:43 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Subaru clutches are well know for juddering! You could still be on the original clutch which may be nearing the end of it's natural life - if you do get it replaced makes sure the flywheel is carefully inspected and skimmed if needed (most do).
Old 06 March 2010, 08:49 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My MY02 bugeye had terrible clutch judder "they all do that, sir" says the Subaru Dealers.....one urban myth is to sidestep the clutch at 4000 RPM. LOL

I changed for an AP unit and have had no problems since.

Shaun
Old 06 March 2010, 11:57 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Beware the Judderman my dear when the moon is hot."