Thinking of buying a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2010, 10:06 AM
Nick73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a scooby

Hi folks ,
Just joined your forum and I`m looking for advice .
Run 4x4`s for years but fancying an estate car for a change . Had a look around and found what looks to be a tidy standard 1998 turbo estate with 70,000 on the clock for £2300 .Seams you get quite a lot of car for your money compared to other slower estates .
Planning on having a proper look/drive tomorrow .

Never owned a subaru before is there any common problems I should look out for . Are they generally a reliable car ?

Cheers
Nick
Old 05 March 2010, 10:39 AM
gdaines
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick73
is there any common problems I should look out for?
Just the cost of petrol and insurance
Old 05 March 2010, 10:44 AM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

as gdaines said, petrol is a bit of a issue mine does 18mpg if im lucky i just laugh when i fill her up either that or youwill cry. happy scoobying fella
Old 05 March 2010, 11:01 AM
Nick73
Scooby Newbie

Cheers Fellas ,
I can live with low mpg , Usually run troopers etc and they only do low 20`s so not much difference .
Got an online quote from direct line and it was £375 for me an my mrs . It did say it needed some type of tracker fitting though and I`m not sure if this car has one ?

Not rung the dealer yet as I want to call unannounced so I can try it from cold .
Old 05 March 2010, 11:24 AM
gdaines
Scooby Regular

I was quoted an equally unrealistic price from Direct Line. It's unlikely the car will have a tracker, and they're not cost effective to install as you'll pay towards a grand plus a yearly charge that'll likely be higher than the difference it'll make to your insurance. I drive 18000 a year and just added business mileage and it's cost me £565 (43yrs full ncd mods declared).

As for common problems I've had my Blobeye 04 WRX just over a year in which time I've done 18-odd thousand miles and not a hiccup. When I bought it the front discs had a line around them, so I've since fitted STi Brembos with new discs and had to change my wheels to fit the bigger calipers, but this was all by choice not necessity. Suspension will be next as it doesn't feel quite right and occasionally knocks a bit if I chuck it around a lot, but then it's done 95k so nothing less than I'd expect for the age and mileage.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:19 PM
Nick73
Scooby Newbie

That makes sense for the insurance . I`m going to give the co-op a ring (my currant broker)this afternoon to get a quote . Hopefully it wont be too much . Myself and my mrs are 37 with loads of noclaims .Won`t be doing more than 8000 miles a years as Ive got 3 other vehicles .
I`m not bothered about modding it , compared to what I normally drive its going to be plenty fast enough standard for my needs so hopefully that will keep it cheap and reliable .