Notices

Clutch problems STI 03

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2010, 08:41 PM
SteveRattue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems STI 03

Not really posted on here much but just had my japspeed sports cat fitted today and after giving the car some stick through the gears a few times i think i may have the start of a slipping clutch. In 4th and 5th the revs rise about 500RPM before i get bite and the car pulls away.

Ive also noticed over the last month that my clutch pedel is slightly rough when pressing it down.

Im just posting for advise really, had this car about a year and cant find any history of the clutch being changed, car has now done 58k miles.
Old 02 March 2010, 08:58 PM
soprano29
Scooby Regular

i noticed the same thing on my 03 sti. i fitted a cat back japspeed exhaust too and suffer the exact problem.i have a feeling its just because the gasses are escaping quicker ,letting the engine run easier,and hoping its not the clutch!!(mine has done 53k)
Old 02 March 2010, 09:19 PM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

it does not matter what down pipe you put on the motor but the clutch normally starts to slip about 30k - 60k depends on how hard the cars be driven and when the performance goes over a certain hp-torque lb.
mine is a 04 sti and only done 29k when it started to slip, changed my full system and the slipping was more noticeable. i would recommend talking to Lateral performance for a great price on a new clutch
Old 02 March 2010, 09:22 PM
SteveRattue
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, goes to show the japspeed stuff is doing its job. Shame about the clutch though.

What price did you pay for a new clutch? Ive been looking at some on ebay but they look few and far between.
Old 02 March 2010, 09:45 PM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

looked for time for a well recommended dealer roger clark wanted £800 for a exedy fast road clutch and lightened flywheel>hell no,

Lateral performance well cheap and its the same thing, plus free delivery
hope this helps
Old 02 March 2010, 09:54 PM
SteveRattue
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, Just been speaking to my mate Simon Horton who races a rallycross subaru and he wondered if im overboosting now and having slippage because of that.