Notices

NO BOOST!?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2010, 08:12 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO BOOST!?

evening all, having some trouble with my 01 WRX UK300, iv lost all boost!
I think it cud be something to do with the BOV as that has been playing up a while now, it started dumping all the air for a few seconds, a reallyloud hissing noise and it killed the engine, but it would stop after i backed off the throttle.
Then today the boost has gradually died off, and now its not boosting at all, its a bit worrying! there are no hissing noises from under the bonnet and whn i lift off its not dumping the air.
Anyone got any ideas?
Old 27 February 2010, 08:21 PM
scoobybry!
Scooby Regular

Have you Checked for the obvious split pipe ect

WWW.NOTTINGHAMSHIRESCOOBIES.COM
Old 27 February 2010, 08:28 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by UK300DVR
evening all, having some trouble with my 01 WRX UK300, iv lost all boost!
I think it cud be something to do with the BOV as that has been playing up a while now, it started dumping all the air for a few seconds, a reallyloud hissing noise and it killed the engine, but it would stop after i backed off the throttle.
Then today the boost has gradually died off, and now its not boosting at all, its a bit worrying! there are no hissing noises from under the bonnet and whn i lift off its not dumping the air.
Anyone got any ideas?
Hello mate (no prizes for guessing what car i have).

As above i take it you have looked for all obvious leaks?

What BOV are you using, if its a baileys then take it off. Re-circ is the way forward mate, I have a spare for sale on eBay at the moment if you want to put it back to standard.

Is the car running flat right through as though your running no turbo or is it spooling but no punch?

Rob
Old 27 February 2010, 10:30 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

cheers for the replies, ill have to get it in the garage tomorrow and get a proper look around, i think it is a baileys thats fitted now, not by me it was on when i got it.
Yeah its running flat asif iv got no turbo fitted at all.
How long you had the 300? you done any mods to it? what bhp is it runing at? iv had mine on RR and its at 255bhp, or it was when i had some boost lol
Old 28 February 2010, 01:23 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Im no expert, in fact im far from it although i have owned 3 Subaru's. So you may eventualy get some folk looking at your thread that can help better. However I would start with the basics such as boost pipe as mentioned earlier etc. You mentioned the car is flat as though there is no boost. maybe try checking the t-pipe that runs from the turbo, also make sure the BOV is fine, personally it replace it with a standard re-circ.

Have you not got a boost gauge you could plumb in? I take it you have no engine check light, ie your car is not im limp mode?

------

225 bhp is probably about right for your car, most UK300s came with PPP so i suspect yours is, this was 245bhp standard i think.

Had the car about 9 months, had it on the RR last month, but as its part of a mini project I still had issues on the day, never the less the car made 293bhp before going into limp mode. I have since sorted out the issues and progreesed further with the engine mods which will soon include ported headers. The car then should be nearing 350bhp with finger crossed. Anything over 335bhp would be nice though. The torque appears to be good at the moment too, so im looking forward to my next RR. Where are you based mate?

ps - mine will be up for sale soon once ive got the bloody wheels back from the refurbed that ive been waiting on for the last 3 weeks

Rob

cheers for the replies, ill have to get it in the garage tomorrow and get a proper look around, i think it is a baileys thats fitted now, not by me it was on when i got it.
Yeah its running flat asif iv got no turbo fitted at all.
How long you had the 300? you done any mods to it? what bhp is it runing at? iv had mine on RR and its at 255bhp, or it was when i had some boost lol
Old 28 February 2010, 01:37 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

Took the BOV off this morning, cleaned it out, couldnt see anything wrong with it. Checked all the pipework, the little T and everything, couldnt see anything wrong. Put i all back togeather and it ran fine, better than it has ever done actually. But within 5 miles it was back to no boost, confusing!

293BHP is stil good for a WRX, what have you done to get it there? i was thinking about selling mine, it all depends on the insurance renewal this year, im not paying over a grand but hopefully its under and then ill keep for another year, then i can get on with a decat and remap.
Old 28 February 2010, 02:06 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Took the BOV off this morning, cleaned it out, couldnt see anything wrong with it. Checked all the pipework, the little T and everything, couldnt see anything wrong. Put i all back togeather and it ran fine, better than it has ever done actually. But within 5 miles it was back to no boost, confusing!

293BHP is stil good for a WRX, what have you done to get it there? i was thinking about selling mine, it all depends on the insurance renewal this year, im not paying over a grand but hopefully its under and then ill keep for another year, then i can get on with a decat and remap.
Ring me if you want to discuss things.

In a nutshell ive spent around 4k on the power side of things:
  • Engine rebuld
  • VF30 Turbo
  • STI Intercooler
  • STI Up pipe
  • 3" full decat system
  • Walbro
  • STI Pink Injectors
  • Green Cotton panel filter
  • Remap
  • Yet to fit Uprated headers (current map not set up for the STI intercooler yet either)
The the rest of the obvious requirements, plugs, filters, oils, NPS replacement etc etc

Some folk say that the WRX gearbox is only good 350bhp and simulat torque, but other say around 400 . To be honest im stopping before the 350 mark as it easier to get there, and anything above this serious money for a WRX. My car is an everyday driveable car which is great and the mpg if taking it easy is good too, but more often than not it always lead to a heavy right foot session where the mpg is more like gpm!!! I wish i didnt need to sell the car, but thats the way it goes sometimes. Also im still finishing the engine build (headers and remap) just becuase i want to finish the car before seling. I have bought a set of Brembos and a spare set of 17" alloys, and track tyres but have had a change of heart in terms of tracking the car this year.

Rob
0752 20 20 500

ps you sure the car isnt jumping into limp mode?

Last edited by Rob Day; 28 February 2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 28 February 2010, 02:36 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dump the dump valve and problem will go.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:13 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

yeah sounds like im going to have to, i will miss the sound though (chav i know, but what can you do lol) unless theres a diffrent one, HKS or something that wont play up like mine, i think mine is a baileys its just stainless, no markings.
Old 28 February 2010, 10:34 PM
stevieg89
Scooby Regular

i have been told the baileys dump valves are crap, get a HKS one on as they are better
Old 01 March 2010, 08:47 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

yeah sounds like im going to have to, i will miss the sound though (chav i know, but what can you do lol) unless theres a diffrent one, HKS or something that wont play up like mine, i think mine is a baileys its just stainless, no markings.
Just get a re-circ to elliminate the chance the baileys BOV is causing the power loss. You still havent said if the engine check light is on? Some folk for instance would fit an aftermarket exhaust and not remap, so this can cause the engine light to come on, they accept this is the norma and carry on driving, so when another fault comes on, without having a diagnostic plug in the driver isnt aware there is another problem as he is already use to the light being on . Is your light on or has it been on recently? For you to loose power after 5min of driving it sounds a little odd if you have no engine check light, or its the obvious boost leak (more than likely the baileys)

I refer to Baileys when acutally there are plenty aftermarker dump valves on eBay that are very simular to baileys but as just copies of something that is already useless.

I've listed some gear on eBay that maybe of an interest to you. Re-circ dump valve and a Vee-port BOV. personally i'd go for the re-circ, but if you want the noise then the vee-port is certainly the job with its adjustable screw cap.

eBay Seller: r-s-r-signs: Vehicle Parts Accessories, Home Garden items on eBay.co.uk

You also said your car was running 255bhp, what mods have you done, im guessing one is the exhaust (engine light?)

HTH
Rob
Old 01 March 2010, 08:06 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

Evening, no I haven't had a Engine check light on. I haven't done any mods to the car, as far as I know its just PPP, had a cone filter which i took off and fitted a standard box with green group N filter. Apart from that Im assuming its standard!
Old 01 March 2010, 09:12 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Evening, no I haven't had a Engine check light on. I haven't done any mods to the car, as far as I know its just PPP, had a cone filter which i took off and fitted a standard box with green group N filter. Apart from that Im assuming its standard!
Hi,

Have you not taken the BOV off? What exhaust have you got on, I doubt this will be completly standard, is still catted?

Like i said above^^ I have recirc up for grabs if you want to purchase this to elliminate the chance the Baileys is failing, or have you no firends with a newage subaru you could borrow the recirc. To be honest mate you will not got much in the way of help on here if you have a Baileys fitted... They are just not the done thing, and on Scoobynet although folk will try and help you, until you have ditched the crappy design baileys and put it back to standard (even if just to elliminate the chance of BOV fail) you will not get much online help. come back when your baileyless and then maybe some other folk will more inclined to help.

Does the car always loose boost after around 5mins running from cold? (although you ideally should keep of boost until warm) Your car hasnt been mapped at any point just to elliminate the chance of switchable maps?

Rob
Old 01 March 2010, 09:21 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

Hey up, I had it off yeah, cleane it up and put it back on and the car ran fine again, but only for a few miles, as far as i can tell its standard exhaust just with different tail pipe.

Iv just stuck a bid on the recirc. It has just started losing the boost after warm up yes, I dont think its been mapped, theres no recipts for anything in my service pack, 1 thing i did notice the other day (may be something and nothing) the red LED ext to the clock that lights up when the immobiliser is off started flashing, weird because Iv been having trouble with my key fob not working, however the immobiliser is stil working fine (the fob has magically fixed its self too)
Old 01 March 2010, 10:34 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Baileys is chinese for bin fodder. Seriously why are you persisting with something that is obviously causing the issue ? Either put the std recirc back on or buy a better make of VTA one if you must have the sound effects.
Old 01 March 2010, 10:37 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Baileys is chinese for bin fodder.
Old 02 March 2010, 08:40 PM
UK300DVR
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dynamix
Baileys is chinese for bin fodder. Seriously why are you persisting with something that is obviously causing the issue ? Either put the std recirc back on or buy a better make of VTA one if you must have the sound effects.
If you read the post before yours, I have just bid on a recirc (from the link gven by UK300PRODRIVE) i hope your right and that sorts the problem, then after my insurance renewal i can start prepping for a remap!
Old 02 March 2010, 08:48 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Cool - it will solve the issue. have seen so many baileys (and other aftermarket) dump valve that are fit for nothing apart from paperweights. The std recirc item is very good and does exactly what it needs to do.