Notices

bleed valve :)

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2010, 11:00 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleed valve :)

stock 2 port is ****£ so going to install bleed valve ( 3 port ) and basically instead of wasting the pressure coming from the turbo housing by venting it to atmosphere i am going to re-route it back into the air intake much like the standard 3 ports done on the pre 96's although im worried that the sucking action gained by plumbing the bleed nipple on the controller to the air intake ( probably filter box ) will draw even more air away from the actuator ? i know bleed valves are not the best but need sumthing in the mean time till i can afford greddy profec as im sick of replacing 2 ports ?

the controlller is a twist / lockable design with actuator plumbed at one end and compressor outlet at the other end with bleed gate in the middle

should i just vta the bleed outlet on the 3 port bleed valve or would it be better to route it back to the start of the air intake so the air loss caused by the bleed valve can be metered again by the maf

remembering this is temporary for about 1-2 months but would still like 2 do it the best way possible
Old 05 February 2010, 11:05 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

need a remap to do the mod id say. cant just fit 3 port
Old 05 February 2010, 11:10 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Rather than using a bleed valve, you'd be better off using a Dawes Device (or similar ball and spring design) 2 port valve.

Dawes will keep pressurised air off the wastgate actuator until the spring crack pressure is reached, providing much better spoolup than a bleed valve
Old 05 February 2010, 11:22 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
need a remap to do the mod id say. cant just fit 3 port

its not a 3-port wrx electronic 1 that you are thinkin it is mate , its a bleed valve which is basically a 3 port manual boost controller

cheers fiestaboy but have 2 really make do with what ive got just now ( bleed valve ) any sugestions or what about using the bleed port as a restrictor and blocking off one of the other nipples in effect making it a 2 port and doing a simillar job as a restrictor pill bar the fact that i can manually change the size i suppose it would need minute turns to alter the boost but it is lockable so.... ? any theories ?
Old 05 February 2010, 11:26 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

IMO, you should throw the bleed valve in the bin, they're rubbish.

A Dawes is only £35, and it's so much better for spoolup and response, keeping the wastegate totally closed until the target pressure is reached.

Old 05 February 2010, 11:31 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

ah ok mate sorry. hope u get it sorted
Old 05 February 2010, 11:34 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

i have a 0.5 , 0.8 , 1.0 and 1.2 boost pill would i essentially be able to just shove a pill in a straight hose from compressor to actuator as im just looking for standard pressure or about 1 bar max but im sure i tried the pill before and got nothing ? put this down to a weak actuator but havent tried the pill in a straight line ( non tee ) with the new actuator
Old 05 February 2010, 11:35 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

im having spike issues just now but the spike goes as soon as i run it on actuator pressure only but obviously makes the car slower 0.5 bar so we came to the conclusion that yet another 2 port has gone again for the third time
Old 05 February 2010, 11:36 PM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
ah ok mate sorry. hope u get it sorted

cheers for the post anyway bud , good to hear from new people now and then
Old 06 February 2010, 11:37 AM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

ok have the bleed valve in place with the two pipes wired up to actuator and compressor housing this morning and it was very iffy to say the least it seems it was either bleeding to much etc and was never steady on boost no matter how i set it ? as u said fiestaboy the spool up was poor so i decided to put the bleed valve in place of the standard solenoid and essentially wire it up in the same way as a 95 wrx would be plumbed up from the compressor to the boost controller , then the actuator to the controller and the bleed hose i wired up to the inlet manifold pipe that normally comes the original 2-port , essentially the same way as stated above but what i done was put a 1mm restrictor pill in the bleed hose and wooohooo the boost holds very steady and spools up real fast no spikes in 5th or 1,2,3,4 either as bleed valves are known to spike in 4th and 5th a lot
Old 06 February 2010, 11:40 AM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

the boost can also now be adjusted from 0.5 to 1.5 but i have it set @ 1bar would like to have some advice from u fiestaboy as to wether this has been done before using a restrictor in the bleed hose to steady out the bleed and returning the bled air back into the system ???