Notices

not revving right

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2010, 11:24 PM
slight_problem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not revving right

hi there got a 98 sport, and occasional when i accelerate it will rev to a certain point and the revs hold. if i let off the accelerater pedal a lil and reapply its revs normally, the car was brought with a fse boost valve already on it could this be causing the problem, the only other mod it has is an induction kit.

cheers in advanced for any given advice

ben
Old 29 January 2010, 11:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In many peoples eyes - mine included - both those mods are considered 'downgrades'.

Some poeple say that the FSE FPR can be an engine killer on the turbo i.e. erratic pressure variations/running lean at WOT etc.! The first thing I'd do before condemning anything esle is to return the car to std i.e. an OEM FPR (probably be okay to get a 2nd hand one for about £5-10 on eBay) and a new OEM paper panel filter (£20)/airbox/trunking etc. Then see where you are......

fter refitting that stuff, make sure there's at least 1/4 tank of fuel and do an ECU reset.

EDIT: Oops sorry, you have a Sport - so the FSE prob not so critical on your NA engine, but I'd still return it to stock, as above. It could be the underbonnet heat getting into the cone filter that's causing it.

Last edited by joz8968; 30 January 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 30 January 2010, 03:23 PM
slight_problem
Scooby Regular

cheers all taken on board will return to stock and see what difference that makes. the car has got a turbo bonnet so cant really see heat bein a problem to much. iv been thinking about movin the cone into the wing totally away from the engine could this also help,

but as said ill return to stock firstly see if i cures the problem

ben
Old 30 January 2010, 05:14 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The turbo bonnet doesn't help in letting heat escape no more than the Sport non-vented bonnet. Forget the bonnet, just concentrate on sorting the air inatke and FPR...

If you put the cone in the wing and seal it off from the engine bay around that circular hole - and perhaps run a flexi air feed-pipe up from the front of the car to the cone - then that will prob be better than the panel/airbox route. You'll be getting mildly rammed, really cold air to the cone's larger surface area - nice. Make sure you mount the cone as high up in the wing as poss (alleviates the problem of water ingress...). I'd also mount the front end of the feedpipe so that it's fed from the extreme driver end of the grille (rather than low down at the base of the bumper).

But yeah, I agree, just return car to how Subaru intended - always the best course of action for trying to trubleshoot your running issue...

Last edited by joz8968; 30 January 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 30 January 2010, 06:39 PM
slight_problem
Scooby Regular

yepwill return to standard then and go from there,

cheers for the help,