ecuexplorer live data readings. question

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2010, 12:41 PM
frossessnake
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ecuexplorer live data readings. question

hi all,
ive recently started using ecuexplorer to connect to my 1999 uk turbo 2000. all is working fine its just when viewing the live data the o/1 values for the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensors flicker between values of 1 and 0, i.e on then off. i would exspect the values to remain constant with engine running(value 1). there are no fault codes listed and all seems fine. can someone advise me if flickering on/off is the norm or do i need to replace the sensors.

Last edited by frossessnake; 27 January 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 27 January 2010, 01:41 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. What you're seeing is perfectly normal, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Your understanding of the sensor function is incorrect. The data channels relating to these sensors only read a logic 1 (i.e. on) when one of the triggers on the cam/crank wheels is within proximity of the sensor. The intervening time they read 0. It's this constant logic state switching (and the time gaps between the rising edges of the shifts) that allows the ECU to establish the rotation speed and positions of the shafts.

As such the actual data in the ECU on both channels is switching state hundreds of times a second when the engine is running. Indeed they switch so fast that you can't learn anything useful by monitoring them via ECUExplorer, as the refresh rate is far too slow for you to learn anything interesting. You'd be better off disabling these data channels and benefiting from the fractionally quicker update frequency.
Old 28 January 2010, 09:46 AM
frossessnake
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

firstly thank u 4 the welcome and more importantly for your speedy and very helpful reply. couldnt of asked for it to be explained any better. cheers.