Notices

pistons. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2010, 12:25 AM
barnes_2k7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pistons. . . .

hi, i am currently rebuilding my impreza. i was given an engine (ej20) by a friend which was burning oil, piston rings, i have removed my pistons from the engine that was in my car to put in the engine that i was given. but there different. . . does it matter? there the same circumfernce only diff i can see is that the skirts are slightly longer on the pistons with the rings gone and have kind of a rectangular shape on top, and the ones im going to put back in have a shorter skirt with a square on the top of the piston....oh and only diff i notice with the engines are that on the oil pump casing my engine out of the car has a guide to stop the cam bet coming off. the engine i was given doesnt have a place to bolt it on to. dont know if this makes a difference or not?

barney
Old 09 January 2010, 09:13 AM
robimportwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by barnes_2k7
hi, i am currently rebuilding my impreza. i was given an engine (ej20) by a friend which was burning oil, piston rings, i have removed my pistons from the engine that was in my car to put in the engine that i was given. but there different. . . does it matter? there the same circumfernce only diff i can see is that the skirts are slightly longer on the pistons with the rings gone and have kind of a rectangular shape on top, and the ones im going to put back in have a shorter skirt with a square on the top of the piston....oh and only diff i notice with the engines are that on the oil pump casing my engine out of the car has a guide to stop the cam bet coming off. the engine i was given doesnt have a place to bolt it on to. dont know if this makes a difference or not?

barney
piston design shouldnt be an issue but might be a good idea to use the old cyl heads from the same engine you got the pistons from in case they are matched? also if you can, swap the oil pump to the one with the guide on it i had two cambelts jump teeth on the old design without the guide so i changed to the newer type and havent had any issues since.
Old 09 January 2010, 09:24 AM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few pics of the pistons/engines might help Barney - you could end up way off on your Compression ratio by swapping out the wrong pistons.

Mick
Old 09 January 2010, 01:04 PM
barnes_2k7
Scooby Regular

merlin - i cant upload photos for some reason? how do you guys manage it?

rob - how do you get the pully off the crank, i got the aux crank pully off but the toothed one i cant seem to move on either of the engines.

thanks for the replays so far keep em coming