Clutch problems and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2010, 02:21 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems and warranty

Hi,

I own a Type R which I picked up in October last year as a fresh import. The car had done just under 40k miles and came from a dealer with a years warranty. I have done around 2k miles in the car and now have a issue with the clutch which people seem to think is the release bearing.

I have contacted the company I bought the car from and they say that the clutch and gearbox and related areas are wearable parts and would not be covered by my warranty.

Would items like gearbox and clutch not be covered by warranty? I'm at work at the moment so will check my warranty later but was just wondering if anyone else has had items like this covered in the past.

Cheers

Matt
Old 06 January 2010, 04:09 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by webba23
Hi,

I own a Type R which I picked up in October last year as a fresh import. The car had done just under 40k miles and came from a dealer with a years warranty. I have done around 2k miles in the car and now have a issue with the clutch which people seem to think is the release bearing.

I have contacted the company I bought the car from and they say that the clutch and gearbox and related areas are wearable parts and would not be covered by my warranty.

Would items like gearbox and clutch not be covered by warranty? I'm at work at the moment so will check my warranty later but was just wondering if anyone else has had items like this covered in the past.

Cheers

Matt
Clutches aren't normally covered under warranties, as longevity can be seriously compromised by the use to which they are put! We've seen every kind of driver, and although I bet you're very gentle on your clutch, and aren't given to riding it, some have to be seen to be believed!
What's actually wrong with it?
Old 06 January 2010, 06:34 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Yeah I can appriciate that and can believe that some have not been driven sensibly and that this then put people in awkward positions with offering items such as this under warranty. I'm just a bit annoyed as I would expect to buy a car for nearly 7k only for the clutch to fail in under 3 months. Maybe I'm expecting too much but would of expected it to last a bit longer.

From what I gave researched and been told it sounds as if it is the clutch release bearing as I get a nasty noise on the biting point. I'm no expert though. The only concern I have is that I have experienced problems selecting gears and am dubious as to weather the release bearing would cause this.

Any ideas?
Old 06 January 2010, 09:51 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by webba23
Yeah I can appriciate that and can believe that some have not been driven sensibly and that this then put people in awkward positions with offering items such as this under warranty. I'm just a bit annoyed as I would expect to buy a car for nearly 7k only for the clutch to fail in under 3 months. Maybe I'm expecting too much but would of expected it to last a bit longer.

From what I gave researched and been told it sounds as if it is the clutch release bearing as I get a nasty noise on the biting point. I'm no expert though. The only concern I have is that I have experienced problems selecting gears and am dubious as to weather the release bearing would cause this.

Any ideas?
It sounds like you're going to have to pull the box out regardless. Does your foot have to be right to the floor to disengage the drive?
Old 06 January 2010, 10:06 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Gear changes seem to be back to normal now or they were when I took it for a quick drive yesterday. I am not too sure as I just drove it normally yesterday i.e. Pedal deressed fully and changed gear. Didn't feel any different really but on one occassion it would select 1st so I had to lift the clutch fully then pump it a couple of times depress it and then it would select 1st. Could this be related to the clutch and release bearing. I just hope that it's not more serious than chucking in a new clutch.