Notices

How good is the P1?

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2010, 05:49 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good is the P1?

Hi al Im looking at getting a P1 soon maybe around april time and im just wondering:

how good is it compared to other subaru's and similar cars: sti, 22b, type R, mits evo's ?

Ive been told its the only car from subaru that is classed as a super car ?

How easy is it to get new parts for it ?

Ive noticed alot have had the engines rebuilt ? Why is this ?

Im after a rare car that you hardly see and to be honest i dont think ive ever seen a P1 in person. Im also looking for something that you can put your foot down and itll throw you back into your seat. I will be rarly using the car but just wont the power to be there " should i ever need it "

The only thing ! that is putting me off buying a P1 is everyone and the grannies dog ( well not quite ) drives around in a subaru - yeah it might not be a P1 or anywhere near but still its another subaru on the road where im wanting something that isn't seen very often.

What you think ? should i go for it anyways ?
Old 02 January 2010, 06:01 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I would go and have a look at the Type R's and Type R V-Ltd's at SVA imports before you go for a P1

That's what I'm doing
Old 02 January 2010, 06:10 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

Woops posted the thread twice.

I thought the P1 was far better than a type R? I was told the P1 was a supercar?
Old 02 January 2010, 06:15 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Mate no Subaru falls into the super car catagory.

Each to their own. I've owned 4 scoobs so far and am buying a V-ltd. For starters the P1 doesn't have DCCD. They took them off to save money on the retail price. big mistake in my opinion, but thats my opinion.

Still great car. Quite a few P1's for sale on Pistonheads. Rare you see a good V-ltd on there though. Enjoy the hunt
Old 02 January 2010, 06:18 PM
Hardeep1990
Scooby Regular

I would say a Type R is much better than a P1 for several reasons, Owned a Type R 555 and was a very nice car.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:27 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Plenty of debate on this one . The P1 is a great car for UK roads, though it is no more supercar than any other impreza (iirc they had to call it a supercar to get over some noise/emission or maybe import issue, it was certainly only a technicality - do not expect it to be on a par with a Veyron ). As above you should look at the JDM STi/type r, on which the P1 is based. Think the JDM models have shorter gearing and have DCCD but no ABS brakes. Sure there are other differences that others will highlight. Think the engines were inclined to blow because there was an issue with the prodrive mapping that meant UK fuel was not quite suitable. Many have been re-mapped so the problem is not there. If you buy, check it has been rebuilt and or re-mapped properly for UK fuel. Don't imagine parts to be a problem. There is also a P1 specific site where you can look for more info.

There will be loads on here about pros and cons of P1/Type R etc, just use the search function.

HTH

dnc

Edit to add - most people would view the new age spec c and their variants as the ultimate impreza (type ra-r is best IMHO); most of the others would argue it is the 22b. Imprezas generally considered to be more 'organic' than evos, and with some simple suspension mods you can cure the understeer. I've always preferred the Impreza. Look on the Lancer register for info on evos, not much between 'em.

Last edited by dnc; 02 January 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 06:32 PM
rossdj1983
Scooby Regular

prodrive set the p1 up for uk roads, to be fair they made a bloody good job of it to

Trending Topics

Old 03 January 2010, 01:29 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as i am aware (i will prob be corrected on this ) the P1 was developed to counter act the influx of JDM sti's. as sti was not available in this country at the time, thus the P1 was born with similar performance to the sti and with suspension suited to uk roads plus a few other things and in a rare 2 door format. it had two main draw backs 1. it was far too expensive and 2. only a few were made. still IMO the best looking subaru ever made (sorry 22B owners )

steve
Old 03 January 2010, 01:39 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

I owned one its a superb car.
Its high in Evo magazines top 100 and also high in its best handling/drivers car listing too.
so the making of a future classic.

The suspension set up firm but classy damping absorbs the bumps as well as a standard classic, it handles superbly.

Slightly lower geared than a standard classic, but still great for motorways and not as bad as some imports if comfortable cruising is required.

Normal Subaru running costs, mine did not need engine re-build,but always run on Shell Superunleaded.

main drawbacks are from a practical point of view is that it has only
2 doors and back seats do not fold down for big objects in the boot.

Limited front ground clearance with the front splitter.

It took me 6 months to find the car I wanted, take your time and get a good one.

I would leave it standard and then it would be depreciate a lot less, maybe even not at all.

The Web Owners Club very friendly.

Last edited by aggs; 03 January 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03 January 2010, 02:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want rare then a 22B is what you want. Regardless of the fact it ain't the fastest Scoob out there - it's the best looking imo
Old 03 January 2010, 03:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by applesandbananas
Hi al Im looking at getting a P1 soon maybe around april time and im just wondering:

how good is it compared to other subaru's and similar cars: sti, 22b, type R, mits evo's ?

Ive been told its the only car from subaru that is classed as a super car ?

How easy is it to get new parts for it ?

Ive noticed alot have had the engines rebuilt ? Why is this ?

Im after a rare car that you hardly see and to be honest i dont think ive ever seen a P1 in person. Im also looking for something that you can put your foot down and itll throw you back into your seat. I will be rarly using the car but just wont the power to be there " should i ever need it "

The only thing ! that is putting me off buying a P1 is everyone and the grannies dog ( well not quite ) drives around in a subaru - yeah it might not be a P1 or anywhere near but still its another subaru on the road where im wanting something that isn't seen very often.

What you think ? should i go for it anyways ?
P1's had pretty much (if not exactly) the same map as the JDM STI's, ie designed for 100 ron fuel, they had some added knock correction but that was it, they also had broquets which are a octane enhancer, they should be good for 100k miles.
Downsides are that most people just put super unleaded in there and didnt add any other boosters (which would have been nice) and maf failures on this model were well known about, so bearing in mind that the car has a 100 ron map, has fragile maf sensors and no real detection.... presto, new engines (especially if decatting or modifying the car without a remap, those remapped seem to keep their engines in one piece )

Tony
Old 03 January 2010, 07:22 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

As one said above take your time to look for one, I did my research, and took me two and a bit years, to find mine, its only a UK, but its Mica red, and on a Y plate, was completely standard except for back box.

Good luck mate. Enjoy the search.
Old 03 January 2010, 10:10 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchips
research, and took me two and a bit years, to find mine, its only a UK, but its Mica red, and on a Y plate, was completely standard except for back box.

Good luck mate. Enjoy the search.
apart from the prototype......... P1's are all in sonic blue
had mine since 2002 , and its the only car i never thought about changing (i usuallly change once a year)
Old 04 January 2010, 12:43 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony B's post is spot on. Lovely looking cars though.

The other notable mechanical difference between Type R an P1 is that Prodrive eschewed theType R's short-geared, adjustable DCCD box for a regular 5-sp plus ABS. And as has been mentioned, the suspension was tuned specifically to UK roads.

Last edited by joz8968; 05 January 2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05 January 2010, 10:10 PM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

thanks for all the help so far
I think im going to go for the P1 over a type R cause i want 2 classic subaru, something rare, and i love the front end with the big bumper just looks like a standard subaru from the back though doesnt it ?

Im hoping slamming it should sort that out, make it look nice and beefy
Old 05 January 2010, 11:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

...just looks like a standard subaru from the back though doesnt it ?
Apart from its slightly different shaped upper half to the rear wing and its carbon-effect 'guerney', plus its bespoke brushed ally lozenge "P1" badge. Although subtle, these styling cues - in conjunction with the Sonic Blue paint and UKDM "S U B A R U" lettering - are instantly recognisable to people with a passing interest in the marque, let alone die-hards.

Im hoping slamming it should sort that out, make it look nice and beefy
I wouldn't go too far - they don't look right (being rally reps) when slammed IMO. Will compromise the carefully set-up Prodrive handling and may wear the wheelbearings/half shafts prematurely. Make sure you get a full laser geo setup when you do the suspension...

Last edited by joz8968; 05 January 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 12:26 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Had my P1 for years, loved it, amazing car to be fair, handled amazingly, comfy and went like stink!

The insurance on a P1 seems to be lower than the Type-R's as it's classed as a UK car, or that's what I found when I was in your position.

If i didn't have kids I would never have sold the P1, it's a complete **** of a job shoving a baby seat in the back, getting it out in normal carparks as the doors are huge.

it really is horses for courses!

The P1 suffers no more with engine failure as a Type-R V5, same engine everything, I'm not sure if prodrive did actually touch the ECU, but they did put the pointless crap in the fuel Tank.

As for the other cars in your list 22b is ultimate to own for rare, but not really the best to drive so I have been told, P1 drives better.... Just what I have been told mind!!

Mitsi Evo..... Zero character, sound like every other 4 pot engine, the drive isn't fun, the handling is great but not because you are great (unless you get an RS), the power is very linear you don't get the raw feel of an Impreza. Diffs cost a fortune to replace (nearly as much as an Impreza build), interior is nicer though on the later models than a P1......... This is all based on owning an Evo 7
Old 06 January 2010, 12:52 AM
MK2VTR8VALVE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
Had my P1 for years, loved it, amazing car to be fair, handled amazingly, comfy and went like stink!

The insurance on a P1 seems to be lower than the Type-R's as it's classed as a UK car, or that's what I found when I was in your position.

If i didn't have kids I would never have sold the P1, it's a complete **** of a job shoving a baby seat in the back, getting it out in normal carparks as the doors are huge.

it really is horses for courses!

The P1 suffers no more with engine failure as a Type-R V5, same engine everything, I'm not sure if prodrive did actually touch the ECU, but they did put the pointless crap in the fuel Tank.

As for the other cars in your list 22b is ultimate to own for rare, but not really the best to drive so I have been told, P1 drives better.... Just what I have been told mind!!

Mitsi Evo..... Zero character, sound like every other 4 pot engine, the drive isn't fun, the handling is great but not because you are great (unless you get an RS), the power is very linear you don't get the raw feel of an Impreza. Diffs cost a fortune to replace (nearly as much as an Impreza build), interior is nicer though on the later models than a P1......... This is all based on owning an Evo 7
That pretty much sums it up
My mate's got an evo 5. Quick enough car but I think it lacks some excitement compared to my Type R & the exhaust note is pretty dire compared to the burble.
Old 06 January 2010, 01:37 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
...I'm not sure if prodrive did actually touch the ECU, but they did put the pointless crap in the fuel Tank...
I remember an old thread on the P1 and Mike Wood of Prodrive posted saying that Prodrive simply asked Subaru to add a bit of extra timing correction to the std. v.5 ECU's IAM, as Tony B eludes to.

Last edited by joz8968; 06 January 2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06 January 2010, 03:32 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve777
Mate no Subaru falls into the super car catagory.
Sorry but that statement is incorrect, the P1 actually is in the Super car category. Prodrive didn't do the ECU on their own, it was a joint venture with Sti.
Old 06 January 2010, 07:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_1075
Sorry but that statement is incorrect, the P1 actually is in the Super car category. Prodrive didn't do the ECU on their own, it was a joint venture with Sti.
So does that make every STI type R and type RA supercars too as they are quicker than a P1

Tony
Old 06 January 2010, 08:53 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
So does that make every STI type R and type RA supercars too as they are quicker than a P1

Tony
Or every modded Subaru for that matter. My 1995 WRX with 300 bhp / 290 ft/lbs will leave a standard P1 for dead. I wouldn't call mine a supercar though (more a 15 year old shed ).

P1's IMHO are overated. Lovely cars to look at and may well have handled well/been set up for British roads but are overpriced for what they are. Maybe a mint original that is un-touched or modded may be worth the high re-sale value they command, but the second they have been played with then I can't see how they can be worth more than the equivalent Type R (should maybe be less as no DCCD).
Old 06 January 2010, 09:12 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can any Scoob class as a supercar????? If so, what does that make a Gallardo? A hypercar? - and then you have a Veyron, that can't be a hypercar as it's plenty faster than a Gallardo, so that would make it an Ubercar or something???
The law according to Brun:

Smart = Towncar
Ka = Citycar
Fiesta = Run about
Focus = Small family car
Mondeo = Large family car
7 Series = Exec car
Strange Rover = Exec car with ***** extension

Saxo VTR = Warm hatch
Clio 197 = Hot Hatch
Focus RS = Mega hatch???
Scoob (Pre hatch) = Mega Saloon
Current Scoob = Joke

911 Carrera = Sports Car
F430 = Supercar
Veyron = Hypercar

Think that covers it
Yep - i'm bored and snowed in
Old 06 January 2010, 12:46 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
No,

It is because of the noise levels within the European Homologation rules, to meet these standards the car has to do 0-60 in a specific time as well as a 3 gear pull from 60-100 irrc. The P1 is the only Impreza to "offically" have that status.
Old 06 January 2010, 01:10 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Lee_1075
No,

It is because of the noise levels within the European Homologation rules, to meet these standards the car has to do 0-60 in a specific time as well as a 3 gear pull from 60-100 irrc. The P1 is the only Impreza to "offically" have that status.
The standard Jap exhausts are quieter than the P1's one
Spec C's eat P1's for in gear power, it never really had "super car" status, just some marketing bull really
Do you know that back in 1998 BMW quoted their M5 as being the quickest 4 door saloon on the planet in production at that time? Subaru took them up on the offer and it was no longer the quickest and thats a supercar

Tony
Old 06 January 2010, 01:54 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8-9k for a 10 year old P1,, hmmm? too many out there have had rebuilds, and they always seem to be for sale at the 60k mile mark??? Is that a big service time on the P1 with cambelt n tensioner or is that at 45 and 90k?

4k for same age JDM STi

my preference would be an sti type-r or RA. They may not look that much different to a 'normal' impreza but they are the real deal, and far from common. If you want raw feeling and performance go JDM, if you want something a bit more civilised then i guess a P1 - but be prepared to pay a big premium.
Also a standard MY99 sti will be just as quick if not quicker than a P1 because it's got better gearing ratios

Last edited by apac; 06 January 2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06 January 2010, 02:12 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Think people are geting the whole "Supercar" thing all wrong.

Nobody is saying that a P1 "IS" a "Supercar" ...... it is never going to be thought of in line with Lambo's etc. like how I think some are thinking this comment means.

And certainly I'm sure Spec C's etc. have superior in-gear acceleration, all the Supercar thing is about is that to pass UK noise and emmision regs (as the P1 was a UK Special) and still have the power to match the STI (it's intended purpose vs the JDM STI's) they had to holomoginate (or however you spell it) the P1 as a "Supercar" for which it had to achieve certain sprint times. The car did achieve these times blah blah and they got their higher noise/emmisions.

This does not mean it in actual fact IS a supercar and I don't think any other P1 owners, myself included, would kid themselves into saying that.

I personally have just sold my 22B but have kept the P1 and wouldn't have had it any other way. As a 22B being more comparison to a Type R I would say the P1 rides better and handles better (in certain situations....) than the 22B and also is more comfortable due to the longer gearing.

This is only my opinion and I will never knock any Impreza's driving experience (and I want to get a Type R to race in the near future... ) and it is down to you Mr apples- test drive them both and see what you prefer, that's the more important than what we lot say.....

Either way- you won't be dissapointed, they are both very capable, very fast and hot looking hunks of metal!
Old 06 January 2010, 08:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yeah, lee and allsop have it correct. It's an official test required for the reasons both those posters have sited (it mentions it in the P1 section of Chris Rees's You and Your Impreza book).

It's just beaurocracy at the end of the day... but congrats to Prodrive/Subaru for engineering it to get through that test, etc.

Last edited by joz8968; 06 January 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07 January 2010, 02:28 AM
applesandbananas
Scooby Newbie

i really do love the look of the P1 . Love the big beefy front bumper and just looks so mean sitting at the side of the road . Its just the rear bumper im not to sure on to be honest..... Just the front bumper is allready quite low and the rear bumper seems a bit higher, can you get a bigger rear bumper ( not one of these stupid rear bumpers that skid of the groud and have the word CHAV all over it but just something to give it a bit more beef at the back.
Old 07 January 2010, 02:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

...Just the front bumper is allready quite low and the rear bumper seems a bit higher...
No! That's cool and pukka and stuff! lol

Remember the BTCC Supertourer 2000s of the early-mid 90s?!:-

lol

Last edited by joz8968; 07 January 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: How good is the P1?